What's new

Year-Round Carry Pistol.Which One?

When I was in a state where I could carry, I rotated between the Beretta PX4 SC (40) and LC9 depending on weather, mood etc. While with the right holster both were discrete and comforatable, but carrying two 10rd PX4 mags was very bulky compared to the LC9. (The PX4 SC in 9mm is a 13+1). I am also 6'3" so it might be a little easier to conceal for me compared to someone else.

S&W Shield is my go-to.

proxy.php

mswofford

Rest in Peace
After a career as a uniformed state LEO my "always" gun is a Model 60 S&W. I still prefer a Colt 1911 for open and difficult concealed carry, but this 38 Spl my choice in a pocket (right front) holster. The grips are Hogue Bantams which work well for DA shooting without increasing the size of the revolver.
$razors 062.jpg

I've carried an LC9, and a Sig P290, but for the last couple of years I've carried my Colt 1991A1 compact .45. Both 9mm's are great for carry, but I like the heft of the Colt and the firepower of the .45. Pack that thing with Golden Sabre or Speer GD, and it's a BEAST.
View attachment 560593

Attachments

• $image.jpg
    $image.jpg
    90.7 KB · Views: 145
$Summer 001.jpg$Summer carry 002.jpg

I just today broke out my Summer carry Holster..

Holster: Milt Sparks Summer Special 11...

Handgun: Ruger SP 101 2.5" .357 Mag.

Loads: Remington UMC .357 mag 125 gr. SJHP

S & W Model 686 snubnose with Uncle Mikes Boot grips on my right IWB, and two S & W Model 60's one on each ankle. That is for my winter carry.

In Summer, I just carry one on my hip, if I am in shorts.

Diamond back DB-9 smallest 9mm on the market. There were some issues with the older model that had only one pin above the trigger and one in the back for a total of two. The model below with three is the one you want. Size of a 38 but 9mm. No printing at all. I put the crimson trace 38 laser sight on mine and it and it fits perfectly.
proxy.php

proxy.php

Baby Browning .25 Auto goes with me almost everywhere. When I'm able to carry to conceal something larger, its either a BHP Mark III, or a Sig Sauer P228.

I went with the Walther PPS in .40. Slim and light. Instead of a holster I carry my "manbag" everywhere. Holds an extra mag too.

In the nightstand is a Steyr M 40.

Glock 23 in a Galco Kingtuk. I could use the same holster with a sub-compact and with the 23 and 22 I already have. Whether in shorts or jeans, the only thing I have to think about is the length of my shirt. I'm 5'9'' and 175 lbs. At ~4 o'oclock, it's just past my hip, but not quite to where the grip hits a chair I'm sitting in. It's a whole lot of gun and, with enough rounds I feel no need to carry extra mags. I had a Bersa PPK clone that could be carried in a pocket holster but it wouldn't feed a magazine without jamming, not matter what I did and I got rid of it on a trade to a gunshop as I wouldn't pass that lemon onto a friend. I was confident in the .380 as a round even though I know a .40 is superior and would have one again. I still like having a 'big gun' on me.

My personal choices are a Sig P938 or Springfield XDs. Both being single stacks with slim grips, it's no problem making them disappear. In the warmer months when I tend to wear baggy shorts, either will ride comfortably in the front pocket (in a proper pocket holster). Being that you're already comfortable with the 1911's battery of arms, it's my opinion that the Sig 938 would be an excellent choice. Tough decision, there are so many fine options out there. Cheers!

Questions like these give thousands of varied answers.

Some firearms are better suited for IWB, OWB, Shoulder, Appendix, Pocket, Ankle, or Small Back carry.

Whatever YOU choose it is paramount that YOU become proficient with that firearm. And I don't mean shooting 100 rounds at paper targets. Get yourself some Defensive Pistol training. Preferably up to Level III. Any training less than 24 hours total is inadequate and must be kept up annually.

That being said, I carry a Ruger LC9. It's small, lightweight, and can be configured for any carry situation. I load 147gr. Golden Sabers.

proxy.php

proxy.php

Top Bottom