What's new

Thinking about ditching the SA-35

So the plan for now, beavertail, front and back straps stippled, and a “reliability package” (everyone calls it something different trigger job, feedramp/chamber polish, etc), and since the frame’s going to be worked on I’m trying to decide how to have it refinished. Cost is going to be more than what I paid for the pistol, but when it’s done I’ll have what , to me, will the perfect carry pistol.
Cogan/APW, or who, did I miss it?

Over the years, I've had a Kimber 1911, 2 P7M8s and a Super Blackhawk, all done by APW. Matte rounds, brushed flats, and the work was superlative. The Super Blackhawk is the only one I have left, and it is still beautiful, aside form the light smoke rings on the cylinder face.

The nitrides have an excellent performance reputation as well.

I was thinking something like this.

View attachment 1750911

Just Kidding.
Coordination is key, brutha, its all about the coordination statement.😎
1700426793739.png

Goatrope

Eccentric and destitute of reason
I’m trying to decide how to have it refinished.

If you're going all out, I vote for DLC (Diamond-like carbon) or Black nitride finish.

No first-hand experience. Just what I've read.

Last edited:

Ad Astra

The Instigator
Sweet! As a basis for a custom, SA-35 is worthy ... 😉 I should spring for tritium sights now ... Three sets of grips and four holsters later... And the Mec Gars are so good...

AA

Last edited:

Whisky

ATF. I use all three.
Staff member
This is the C&S skeletonized hammer. I tried to take the pic with a high grip and camera angle as you did, and there still seems to be a good amount of gap left. I believe these work on the SA-35, but I’d check first. BHP Type II Chamfered Commander Hammer - Blue - Cylinder & Slide - Handguns parts and accessories - https://cylinder-slide.com/Item/CS0093. Could be a cheap fix. Hope this helps

View attachment 1751237
View attachment 1751238
A simpler, easier way that might help me save money? That most definitely is NOT the B&B way. :biggrin1:

Edge of my lane

1. I would try the hammer swap first
2. If you go the beaver tail route, strongly consider doing it to two guns at the same time such that you will have an example of “the” gun in the vast majority of circumstances.
3. There are number of Turkish guns that are sold with a beaver tail installed that would likely cost less and more widely available than the custom work you are contemplating.

If you decided to go polymer- an M&P 2.0 with the frame mounted safety and Apex trigger bits could be had for less than the custom work as well.

Whisky

ATF. I use all three.
Staff member
2. If you go the beaver tail route, strongly consider doing it to two guns at the same time such that you will have an example of “the” gun in the vast majority of circumstances.
That IS the B&B way. I might have to think about this for a while.

I would probably have it done to my current pistol and if I liked it have another one done.

Whisky

ATF. I use all three.
Staff member
I've taken the SA-35 back to the range with me probably a dozen times since my last post. I’ve found I can train with ok with a glove on but after about 60rnds without a glove I start to develop a bruise on my hand and issues with accuracy due to a flinch. I’ve ordered this from C&S and I hope it works for me. Looking at the hammer profile I think I’ll get the clearance I need to be able to shoot this pistol comfortably without a glove on. It’s been my daily carry now for about 3.5mo and I don’t see myself going back to a 1911. Now those are words I never thought I’d hear myself write.

IMG_4380.jpeg

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
I've taken the SA-35 back to the range with me probably a dozen times since my last post. I’ve found I can train with ok with a glove on but after about 60rnds without a glove I start to develop a bruise on my hand and issues with accuracy due to a flinch. I’ve ordered this from C&S and I hope it works for me. Looking at the hammer profile I think I’ll get the clearance I need to be able to shoot this pistol comfortably without a glove on. It’s been my daily carry now for about 3.5mo and I don’t see myself going back to a 1911. Now those are words I never thought I’d hear myself write.

View attachment 1822047

Never going back to a 1911?!? Wow! That’s saying something! I know you well enough to know, you don’t throw words around lightly!

I’m not going to be able to sleep now, without thinking about the Springfield SA-35 and what if?

Enabling at its finest. :)

Ad Astra

The Instigator
Never going back to a 1911?!? Wow! That’s saying something! I know you well enough to know, you don’t throw words around lightly!

I’m not going to be able to sleep now, without thinking about the Springfield SA-35 and what if?

Enabling at its finest. :)

:kyle1: I would never, ever, divest myself of mine; preferring it to all forms of combat Tupperware and 1911s. Luckily neither SA-35 nor a Walther PP touches my hand-web. Finally, somewhere north of 2K rounds I finally had a FTE- using a no-name mag, BTW, FWIW.

I do care muchly for revolvers, but actually had a Colt lock up on me, from day to day. Worn bolt, I guess, I replaced the hand and that wasn't it ...

Tricked-out SA-35 would be a very neat thing. I just want tritium sights, considering it ... very good as-is. To me.

AA

Top Bottom