What's new

Appendix IWB holster - safety of leather vs. kydex?

I’ve only been carrying for a year and I have an N8 Tactical Xecutive holster that I really like. When I started carrying I went kydex because I assumed that they were safer with a hard plastic shell over the trigger and with better retention. However, I’m reconsidering leather due to comfort. My holster isn’t uncomfortable, but if I carry all day I’m ready to take it off when I get home.

I’m just curious to get thoughts of other more experienced people who carry regarding the safety of a leather holster and if comfort is appreciably better than kydex. Thanks.

I am liking my Vedder kydex with full leather backing holster. I can wear it all day IWB against my skin on a hot day and don’t even think about it. They will likely send a discount coupon if you sign up and have a long no questions asked return period fyi. I carry a 9mm hellcat pro in that holster.

Whisky

ATF. I use all three.
Staff member
A good leather holster will be every bit as safe as a Kydex holster. Looking at the holster you’re wearing I’d want to know a few things. What size is the pistol you’re carrying, why do you feel like taking it off when you get home and what kind of belt are you wearing? A lot of holster fatigue/discomfort can be solved with the right kind of belt.

Last edited:
A good leather holster will be every bit as safe as a Kydex holster. Looking at the holster you’re wearing I’d want to know a few things. What size is the pistol you’re carrying, why do you feel like taking it off when you get home and what kind of belt are you wearing? A lot of holster fatigue/discomfort can be solved with the right kind of belt.
I'm carrying a Taurus GX4, and you're right in that I don't have a dedicated gun belt. I've been carrying with a regular leather belt that I have worn for years prior to beginning ot carry.

Whisky

ATF. I use all three.
Staff member
I'm carrying a Taurus GX4, and you're right in that I don't have a dedicated gun belt. I've been carrying with a regular leather belt that I have worn for years prior to beginning ot carry.
If you like your holster I would try a “gun belt” first. Regular belts are not stiff enough to support and distribute the weight of a pistol. I’m partial to Bullhide CCW Gun Belts for Concealed and Open Carry by Beltman - https://www.thebeltman.net/ but I’m sure others here have some other great suggestions. Don’t go cheap on the belt, to my thinking it’s more important that the holster when it comes to comfort.

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
If you like your holster I would try a “gun belt” first. Regular belts are not stiff enough to support and distribute the weight of a pistol. I’m partial to Bullhide CCW Gun Belts for Concealed and Open Carry by Beltman - https://www.thebeltman.net/ but I’m sure others here have some other great suggestions. Don’t go cheap on the belt, to my thinking it’s more important that the holster when it comes to comfort.

I can’t see any advice getting mo betta’ than this? :)

OkieStubble

Doesn’t seem to be as many options in leather AIWB holsters as kydex?

While I know most IWB can and will work appendix, are there actual dedicated leather AIWB out there?

Whisky

ATF. I use all three.
Staff member
What makes a holster specifically for AIWB other than the company’s branding the holster for that. I don’t carry AIWB so I honestly don’t know.

Looking at the OP’s holster it looks like what I’d envision a Milt Sparks Summer Special to look like if it was done in Kydex instead of leather and with less cant.

I have owned several Kydex Holsters, l live in HOT DRY Arizona. All broke because of heat drying out Kydex.

My Leather holsters have lasted better.

But remember good Leather is not cheap, but you get what you pay for.

Milt Sparks is great stuff.

Current AIWB holsters use variations of the wedge (to angle the weapon inboard) and a claw(to tuck the butt to the body).

For most body-types, you need both features for best concealment.

Most leather makers do not allow for, or offer, these options.

AIWB holsters will have a 0-degree, or minimal (~15*) rearward cant.

Tucker Leather is one I know that has a workable option, but still, no wedge or claw option. They can be added, but you're tacking a wedge to your holster with epoxy, and trying to find the right "arm" to fit a claw. Seems like minutae, but they are the difference between effective concealment and a gross geometric growth print on your abdomen.

Leather grips better in a tangle (generally), kydex fits & carries better and is faster to draw from.

Take a look at Urban Carry. They recently introduced a hybrid holster called the Lock Leather in both IWB and OWB. This may be a solution for you.

Again, Adam's right, take a look at your belt. It'll go a long way in helping solve the issues we encounter while carrying (thanks for the link!). I use Saddleback Leather's tow belt. I will not need another belt... 3 layers of top grain leather, impressive hardware. A leather holster - a well made one - is just as safe protecting the trigger as kydex, and kydex wins for tight retention.

You'll get about as many belt recommendations as there are members in the forum, but my two personal favorites are SPEC-OPs Gear and Mastermind Tactics. I have 6 of their (SPEC-OPs) belts that are over 10 years old, all still clean, rigid and fully functional.

My newer additions are from Mastermind Tactics. Softer, close with velcro and double thickness. I like these because of the "pulley-style" closure, allowing you to add, remove, readjust your carry piece without fully opening the belt.

For general hard-use wear, SPEC-OPs, hands down. For convenience, maybe a tad more comfortable, Mastermind.

Kore belts are really nice and functional, if you need a dress belt, but they are overly thick for some of my minimalist kydex mag pouches and sheaths.

You'll get about as many belt recommendations as there are members in the forum, but my two personal favorites are SPEC-OPs Gear and Mastermind Tactics. I have 6 of their (SPEC-OPs) belts that are over 10 years old, all still clean, rigid and fully functional.

My newer additions are from Mastermind Tactics. Softer, close with velcro and double thickness. I like these because of the "pulley-style" closure, allowing you to add, remove, readjust your carry piece without fully opening the belt.

For general hard-use wear, SPEC-OPs, hands down. For convenience, maybe a tad more comfortable, Mastermind.

Kore belts are really nice and functional, if you need a dress belt, but they are overly thick for some of my minimalist kydex mag pouches and sheaths.
Awhile back I had considered one of the Kore leather belts. Thanks for the other recommendations.

Thanks for the suggestion. They do appear to be very nice belts.

OkieStubble

Yeah, and they've got a ratcheting buckle. I'm not sure how I feel about the ratchet.

I've also heard good things about the Crossbreed belts.

I can see where the ratchet would help with finite adjustments. I hate it when my waist is in between holes on a traditional belt.

Too fat for the smaller hole and too thin for the larger hole, so ya take a knife from the kitchen and make an in between hole. :)

Yeah, and they've got a ratcheting buckle. I'm not sure how I feel about the ratchet.

I've also heard good things about the Crossbreed belts.
FYI- I was cautious, but they work extremely well. The Kore brand can be bought with stainless buckles (I think they have economy zinc and most cheaper brands have that as standard). When I say they are thicker, most stitched leather gunbelts are the same or moreso.

jar_

Too Fugly For Free.
I like the ratchet belts and there are a whole bunch of them out there now.

wings.jpeg

Lots of good infO above.

My two cents. I have being carrying AIWB 99% of the time since for about the last 15 years. Glock 34/35 until 22, now a G17/22 with an RDS sight. Holsters have been kydex Graith/Mastermind Tactics, Custom Carry Concepts Shaggy and Keepers.

1. You must get a purpose designed gun belt. For Nylon, Mastermind tactics and the Wilderness are both made in the USA.
If you go Wilderness, I would get the 5 stitch v the 3 as it is a bit more supportive.
2. If you go leather, 2 ply leather belt from the beltman is a cant miss

Historically, Kore products suck.Until recently, They were made overseas, probably China (“several asian countries”) and the company is less than transparent with that fact.

They recently introduced a made in the USA nylon line that is more expensive than with Mastermind tactics or Wilderness. Indeed, wilderness has forgotten more about cutting/sewing nylon that some folks know.

If one wants seamless micro adjustments on the fly and is carrying AIWB, I would go with the Tenicor Heavy Zero Sewn by Wilderness on contract. Be advised they sell out quickly And are more expensive that my other recs but micro adjustable with no velcro/velcro ripping sound when the belt goes on/off.

A quality kydex AIWB holster is far easier to get than one in leather. My one and done recommendation would be now JM Kydex Based on their quick ship avail.

Proper reholstering is key. If you mess this up and blow out your femoral, you will likely die before anyone can do more than hold your hand.

1. Decide to Reholster slowing and deliberately after a “hard break” of movement
2. Finger is high in register, well outside of the trigger guard with thumb on back of slide
3. You support hand clears your cover garment and sweeps thru the top of the holster to make sure it is clear
4. You kick your hips out so the holster bottom angle is now optimized to not cover anything ie. Leg/genitals
5. You insert the weapon into the holster with moderate force

some folks would go as far as to say all of the above AND you look at the holster as you do this. A way to maximize visual focus could be as easy as painting a bright colored stripe on the top of the holster lip with some fingernail polish etc.

Top Bottom