What's new

Appendix IWB holster - safety of leather vs. kydex?

Lots of good infO above.

My two cents. I have being carrying AIWB 99% of the time since for about the last 15 years. Glock 34/35 until 22, now a G17/22 with an RDS sight. Holsters have been kydex Graith/Mastermind Tactics, Custom Carry Concepts Shaggy and Keepers.

1. You must get a purpose designed gun belt. For Nylon, Mastermind tactics and the Wilderness are both made in the USA.
If you go Wilderness, I would get the 5 stitch v the 3 as it is a bit more supportive.
2. If you go leather, 2 ply leather belt from the beltman is a cant miss

Historically, Kore products suck.Until recently, They were made overseas, probably China (“several asian countries”) and the company is less than transparent with that fact.

They recently introduced a made in the USA nylon line that is more expensive than with Mastermind tactics or Wilderness. Indeed, wilderness has forgotten more about cutting/sewing nylon that some folks know.

If one wants seamless micro adjustments on the fly and is carrying AIWB, I would go with the Tenicor Heavy Zero Sewn by Wilderness on contract. Be advised they sell out quickly And are more expensive that my other recs but micro adjustable with no velcro/velcro ripping sound when the belt goes on/off.

A quality kydex AIWB holster is far easier to get than one in leather. My one and done recommendation would be now JM Kydex Based on their quick ship avail.

Proper reholstering is key. If you mess this up and blow out your femoral, you will likely die before anyone can do more than hold your hand.

1. Decide to Reholster slowing and deliberately after a “hard break” of movement
2. Finger is high in register, well outside of the trigger guard with thumb on back of slide
3. You support hand clears your cover garment and sweeps thru the top of the holster to make sure it is clear
4. You kick your hips out so the holster bottom angle is now optimized to not cover anything ie. Leg/genitals
5. You insert the weapon into the holster with moderate force

some folks would go as far as to say all of the above AND you look at the holster as you do this. A way to maximize visual focus could be as easy as painting a bright colored stripe on the top of the holster lip with some fingernail polish etc.
And the Gadget is handy, if you're a Glocker. (Striker Control Device)

I use the Alien Gear Shape Shifter. Its an injection molded polymer type system, but it has a nice rubber/cloth pad up against you. Its served me well so far. some love them, some hate em.

Attachments

• aliengear.jpg
    aliengear.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 5
I’m running a nexbelt that’s casual looking and micro ratcheting. That helps adjusting between standing and sitting. I run the buckle at 20 o’clock as a righty to slim down my 12 o’clock . I can make subtle adjustments outside me cover shirt. Tightening up I hold the buckle with my left, quickly push in the belt at 12 with my right. Takes maybe a second, and acting casual no one’s ever called me on it or any carry. Loosen the belt can be left handed only. Super easy. Super stable.

One thing I have noticed is regardless of where it’s worn, Kotex is more stable and stays in place more than leather, especially on a draw. Leather is more comfortable all day as it molds to the body.

Crossbreed also does a hybrid with their super tucks and maybe others. Kidex pieces mounted to a leather backer on the body for IWB holsters. The horse is a touch creaky. Cow isn’t.

Their belly band systems work well for beltless shorts or under standard street clothes if you can live without a light mounted. Not sure what they’re up to these days for lights without looking.

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
For all those who are comfortable carrying appendix, are there certain types of pistols you are more comfortable carrying appendix than others?

For instance:

1. 1911 cocked & locked?

2. Striker fired? And if so, are there certain brands that are more or less safer? You know, since Sig Arms have had stories of going off by themselves?

3. My wife and I had carried a couple of Ruger LCP II and a LCP Max all last summer appendix in a couple of small leather Desantis holsters, with no problems. But both of those Ruger LCP’s ended up getting sent back to Ruger for repairs after a range trip.

This got me thinking, those LCP’s have small partially internal hammers that stay in a cocked position when they are sitting in a holster and appendix carried. There isn’t any external safeties and I don’t think there are any internal safeties either to keep the hammer from falling on its own or blocking the firing pin if the hammer does fall on its own?

Any LCP owners carry appendix or have any knowledge in this matter?

1911 at 3 o,clock cocked and locked do to size. M9 (92F) the same back when (de-cocked/safe).

Glocks appendix or 3. Good holster, functional weapon, good discipline and an understanding of the manual of arms of the weapon. Controlled reholstering ensuring foreign objects don’t intrude into the interior space of the holster every time (on or off body) as you espouse has worked out so far, and the best system I know of to minimize NDs.

Can’t/won’t speak to a weapon I’ve never handled.

I’m running a nexbelt that’s casual looking and micro ratcheting. That helps adjusting between standing and sitting. I run the buckle at 20 o’clock as a righty to slim down my 12 o’clock . I can make subtle adjustments outside me cover shirt. Tightening up I hold the buckle with my left, quickly push in the belt at 12 with my right. Takes maybe a second, and acting casual no one’s ever called me on it or any carry. Loosen the belt can be left handed only. Super easy. Super stable.

One thing I have noticed is regardless of where it’s worn, Kotex is more stable and stays in place more than leather, especially on a draw. Leather is more comfortable all day as it molds to the body.

Crossbreed also does a hybrid with their super tucks and maybe others. Kidex pieces mounted to a leather backer on the body for IWB holsters. The horse is a touch creaky. Cow isn’t.

Their belly band systems work well for beltless shorts or under standard street clothes if you can live without a light mounted. Not sure what they’re up to these days for lights without looking.
Belt buckle at 10, not 20… and any other typos. I have got to start proofreading my phone’s ridiculous auto-deflects that make no sense lately

For all those who are comfortable carrying appendix, are there certain types of pistols you are more comfortable carrying appendix than others?

For instance:

1. 1911 cocked & locked?

2. Striker fired? And if so, are there certain brands that are more or less safer? You know, since Sig Arms have had stories of going off by themselves?

3. My wife and I had carried a couple of Ruger LCP II and a LCP Max all last summer appendix in a couple of small leather Desantis holsters, with no problems. But both of those Ruger LCP’s ended up getting sent back to Ruger for repairs after a range trip.

This got me thinking, those LCP’s have small partially internal hammers that stay in a cocked position when they are sitting in a holster and appendix carried. There isn’t any external safeties and I don’t think there are any internal safeties either to keep the hammer from falling on its own or blocking the firing pin if the hammer does fall on its own?

Any LCP owners carry appendix or have any knowledge in this matter?
Glock (19/34/26, the 19 most commonly)
Tisas 9mm 1911, c&l
Sig P250
Ruger LC9
Ruger SP101

I can do a Shockwave, but I walk with a limp...:letterk1::kyle1:

Edit to add: it doesn't matter on design, as long as it is in good working order, i.e., check monthly or a full detail strip & inspection if you go rolly-polly with it.

OkieStubble

Belt buckle at 10, not 20… and any other typos. I have got to start proofreading my phone’s ridiculous auto-deflects that make no sense lately

I think it’s a programmed tactic they use in order to attempt to force you to buy a new phone… :)

OkieStubble

Glock (19/34/26, the 19 most commonly)
Tisas 9mm 1911, c&l
Sig P250
Ruger LC9
Ruger SP101

I can do a Shockwave, but I walk with a limp...:letterk1::kyle1:

Edit to add: it doesn't matter on design, as long as it is in good working order, i.e., check monthly or a full detail strip & inspection if you go rolly-polly with it.
So you would be comfortable carrying a hammer cocked pistol like the Ruger LCP that doesn’t have any internal or external safeties over your baby maker? :)

So you would be comfortable carrying a hammer cocked pistol like the Ruger LCP that doesn’t have any internal or external safeties over your baby maker? :)
My wife carries her LCP in the appendix position all times, I don't see the problem, the pistol would not go bang until the trigger is fully pulled to the back, plus the LCP is never fully cocked, only half cocked.

Regarding the holster, while I don't see any difference in terms of safety between Kydex and leather, when I carry my APX Carry in the appendix position I use this holster which I have modified to make it more comfortable and less printing. The silicon red "pad" is to protect my leg when sitting, it makes a huge difference. The Sidekick instead is to push the grip away from the shirt. The thick black rubber pad does the same thing
I use the same system the few times when I carry the APX Centurion which is quite bigger.

delete 1.jpg

delete 2.jpg

Before using the Sidekick I had a Claw but I had few problems with it, because sometimes it was popping out from the belt:

delete 3.jpg

delete 4.jpg

Last edited:
Given the time period and the design, Glock was the "touchiest" trigger on the market in the early '90s, and I carried AIWB before it was cool (not regularly because I was still more of a shirt-tucked-in kinda guy and in KS you can wear a cover of some kind more of the year than not, but not infrequently), so no, no issues here.

I know a fellow who worked JTF in Bolivia in the late '80s and his carry was a de-cocker-removed cocked Sig 226- risk is a relative measure.:blink:

My wife carries her LCP in the appendix position all times, I don't see the problem, the pistol would not go bang until the trigger is fully pulled to the back, plus the LCP is never fully cocked, only half cocked.

Regarding the holster, while I don't see any difference in terms of safety between Kydex and leather, when I carry my APX Carry in the appendix position I use this holster which I have modified to make it more comfortable and less printing. The silicon red "pad" is to protect my leg when sitting, it makes a huge difference. The Sidekick instead is to push the grip away from the shirt. The thick black rubber pad does the same thing
I use the same system the few times when I carry the APX Centurion which is quite bigger.

View attachment 1800437

View attachment 1800438

Before using the Sidekick I had a Claw but I had few problems with it, because sometimes it was popping out from the belt:

View attachment 1800439

View attachment 1800440
Ha! Did you epoxy the RCS wedge on, or is it Velcroed? I did that with one of my better non-wedge enabled holsters awhine back.

Ha! Did you epoxy the RCS wedge on, or is it Velcroed? I did that with one of my better non-wedge enabled holsters awhine back.
I go by memory because I did it a while ago. I used one side of a self adhesive Velco pad, the soft one, cut to shape. I attached the Velcro pad to the holster. The part that I do not remember is if in the end I added any glue but I think not. Two holes in the Velcro, two flat nuts under the Velcro and the two screws to attach the wedge to Velco. In short the wedge is kept in position by the two screws only. I was not sure about the result but it is actually very solid.

OkieStubble

Given the time period and the design, Glock was the "touchiest" trigger on the market in the early '90s, and I carried AIWB before it was cool (not regularly because I was still more of a shirt-tucked-in kinda guy and in KS you can wear a cover of some kind more of the year than not, but not infrequently), so no, no issues here.

I know a fellow who worked JTF in Bolivia in the late '80s and his carry was a de-cocker-removed cocked Sig 226- risk is a relative measure.:blink:

A de-cocker on a Sig 226 is just only that. It's there to safely de-**** the hammer, but the long heavy DA trigger, definitely doesn't need that slide mounted de-cocker to keep it from firing accidently. Your post is great timing, because I was just in my safe messing around with a few triggers because of these posts. I dug out the Ruger's LCP II and Max where they have been buried since getting them fixed and sent back from Ruger.

Anyhoo, I was comparing the feel of their hammer fired triggers to a couple of my striker fired Glocks and my Shadow Systems.

Most here know, that Glocks safe action system cocks the striker in a half-**** position. but even though the firing pin is in a half-**** position, Glock also has a physical falling block as another safety in between the chambered round and the striker pin channel. So while it takes the Glock trigger to be pulled to the rear, to fully **** the pin and release the sear, the falling block would still prevent the chambered cartridge from making contact if either the pistol was dropped, or God forbid, there was a mechanical malfunction with the firing mechanism and the striker was prematurely released.

another thing I noticed when concentrating on the Glocks trigger during manipulation, was I could physically tell as I was slowly pulling the trigger to the rear; I could feel the tensioning in the Glocks trigger as it was fully cocking the striker to the rear.

However, when pulling the hammer fired triggers back on the LCP II and the Max? Not so much? Ruger states; that while the LCP's doesn’t come with a manual safety, these guns are equipped with Ruger’s 'Secure Action fire-control system.' The LCP's trigger's has a blade, and only when the blade is depressed can the trigger bar operate. As the trigger is pulled, the sear is engaged, and 'sear movement fully cocks the hammer.' When the trigger is compressed further, the hammer is released, firing the gun.

While I can Physically see the rear of the hammer in the recessed slides of the LCP's when they are cocked. As I pull their triggers, I cannot feel any tensioning in the LCP triggers when I am pulling them to the rear. I cannot see the hammers, moving back further as if they are being moved into full-****? They literally feel like a single action trigger when the sear is tripped? There doesn't seem to be any tension or length of pull or anymore rearward travel, that would allow me to perceive a longer travel of pull to fully **** the hammer? I can literally feel the striker's in the Glocks seemingly move to the rear as the trigger pull pressure increases to the rear? But I cannot feel or visually observe the rear of the LCP hammers moving further into full-****?

While this seems interesting to me; what seems more interesting, is the fact that there is no falling block to prevent that hammer from striking the firing pin in the case of a mechanical failure of the firing mechanism or sear? Ruger does say there is another, smaller, secondary notch a bit further down the hammer 'that should?' Catch the hammer from striking the pin in a mechanical failure?

It should? Is Ruger saying; while their LCP's don't need any internal or external safeties because of their design of the trigger not being in full-****? Then why does Glock have a falling block when their striker isn't in full-**** either?

My wife and I both; spent the entirety of last year's hot summer days carrying our LCP II and Max in the appendix position and I just assumed it was perfectly safe because the trigger guard was completely covered by their holsters. And while this might be true they were perfectly safe from us pulling the triggers to the rear while holstered, how are they completely safe from firing due to mechanical failure?

Inquiring minds want to know? :)

Last edited:
Get a good belt as others mention. The belt is the foundation of the carry rig. Strong foundation lends to trouble free draw and less holster walk during the day.

Leather vs Kydex, it depends on the quality and rigidity of the holster and the condition the leather is maintained adequately. Also depends somewhat on the firearm. The holster must be fit specific to the holster. Misusing/appropriating a holster made for another firearm just because it fits is climbing the risk ladder. A foolish endeavor.

Speaking of risks, the greatest risk occurs during re-holstering. Poorly designed holsters can engage the trigger during holstering. Insufficiently reinforced holster mouths can collapse forcing muzzle cant toward the body while simultaneously engaging the trigger. Same goes for leather thumb snaps.

I am a proponent of Kydex for striker firearms. Safariland ALS is outstanding if retention is desired. Rounded, Alabama Holster, Desantis, and others have strong offerings as well.

Doesn’t seem to be as many options in leather AIWB holsters as kydex?

While I know most IWB can and will work appendix, are there actual dedicated leather AIWB out there?
I haven’t read the entire thread but will start here.

Yes there are leather AIWB specific options they however, are very niche and pricey.

JRC made the “Watson Special”, which was a collaboration with Joe Watson of Watson knives and another holster which I can’t recall the name of.

Palmetto leather and TT Gunleatherare making some now too.

If you want the best though it is made by John Ralston of 5 Shot leather. It is named the “SME”, after its codesigner who was/is a federal agent that was looking for a leather AIWB holster that concealed as well as kydex. John’s work comes with a serious wait and price tag and he is not the best to work with (I’ve got a decent amount of holster made by him).

Someone asked what makes a holster an AIWB holster; it typically has some sort of “wing”, built in to help rotate the grip of the gun inwards to aid in concealment. In the case of the SME is also has some reverse cant to position the grip parallel with the belt line.

Here is one of mine, 7 years old and still working great. The other is a JRC I sold off. I’ll add some details in another post.
IMG_7723.jpeg
IMG_2148.jpeg

Lots of good infO above.

My two cents. I have being carrying AIWB 99% of the time since for about the last 15 years. Glock 34/35 until 22, now a G17/22 with an RDS sight. Holsters have been kydex Graith/Mastermind Tactics, Custom Carry Concepts Shaggy and Keepers.

1. You must get a purpose designed gun belt. For Nylon, Mastermind tactics and the Wilderness are both made in the USA.
If you go Wilderness, I would get the 5 stitch v the 3 as it is a bit more supportive.
2. If you go leather, 2 ply leather belt from the beltman is a cant miss

Historically, Kore products suck.Until recently, They were made overseas, probably China (“several asian countries”) and the company is less than transparent with that fact.

They recently introduced a made in the USA nylon line that is more expensive than with Mastermind tactics or Wilderness. Indeed, wilderness has forgotten more about cutting/sewing nylon that some folks know.

If one wants seamless micro adjustments on the fly and is carrying AIWB, I would go with the Tenicor Heavy Zero Sewn by Wilderness on contract. Be advised they sell out quickly And are more expensive that my other recs but micro adjustable with no velcro/velcro ripping sound when the belt goes on/off.

A quality kydex AIWB holster is far easier to get than one in leather. My one and done recommendation would be now JM Kydex Based on their quick ship avail.

Proper reholstering is key. If you mess this up and blow out your femoral, you will likely die before anyone can do more than hold your hand.

1. Decide to Reholster slowing and deliberately after a “hard break” of movement
2. Finger is high in register, well outside of the trigger guard with thumb on back of slide
3. You support hand clears your cover garment and sweeps thru the top of the holster to make sure it is clear
4. You kick your hips out so the holster bottom angle is now optimized to not cover anything ie. Leg/genitals
5. You insert the weapon into the holster with moderate force

some folks would go as far as to say all of the above AND you look at the holster as you do this. A way to maximize visual focus could be as easy as painting a bright colored stripe on the top of the holster lip with some fingernail polish etc.
Quoted because this is a great post and Tony is the best kydex bender around IMO. Also great recommendation on belts, I’ve been using a Mastermind for a few years and previously a 5 stitch Wilderness EDC.

Are you from P-Forum?

A de-cocker on a Sig 226 is just only that. It's there to safely de-**** the hammer, but the long heavy DA trigger, definitely doesn't need that slide mounted de-cocker to keep it from firing accidently.
Re the LCP, I have not owned one, and am not likely too. Just MHO, but their striker guns are systemically/structurally poor copies of other manufacturers' products (e.g., their break-out was a rebranded KelTec) and Ruger tries adding some of their own doo-dads, much like Ford engineers with their Toyota made engines that fail so painfully. But. There haven't been a bunch of recalls, and I'm not getting rid of the LC9 from my father.

Regarding the Sig, the unit armorer removed the decocker so that it could not be deactivated in a tussle. It was carried SAO, which is what raised my eyebrows. He was ex-Delta working with DEA at that time. He's in his 70s now.

Top Bottom