What's new

Pearl L-55 vs. Me

For my first DE razor, I got the Pearl L-55 (OC+CC). It's locally available, inexpensive (there are other locally made razors that cost half of this and have a decent reputation e.g. a few razors from Romer-7 but I didn't consider it at that point). At that time, I didn't know how much OC vs CC mattered, so I wanted to try both and I got this L-55 combo with both OC and CC. From what I understand, I got the "new" version of the L-55. The one without the Pearl logo on the top plate.

I've completed about 20 shaves with this razor, mostly using OC and few using CC. I am doing my best to refine my technique with each shave. However, I am not progressively getting better shaves even by small amounts.

OC vs CC:
The CC version is quite horrible, IMHO. The edges on the base plate are very sharp, the blade gap is significant enough to cut my mole near my mustache area and the blade exposure is similar to the OC. I find, the CC is way more aggressive than the OC which used to be the other way around with the old version the L-55. This is confusing enough as this razor is still being recommended to beginners in certain circles. The OC has a smaller blade gap and blade exposure seems identical. Overall, I find the OC usable and the CC almost unusable.

Blade alignment:
Some people say you can get good shaves with any razor, but I have had to manually adjust the blade alignment almost every time and then eye ball it to see if it correct. How much this matters to the overall result, I can't say for sure. Sometimes the alignment looks accurate on the first try, other times I have to adjust it by loosening the top cap, moving the blade manually and re-tighten it. This is a bit annoying and I have to be rather careful not to cut myself while shifting the blade in this manner. I don't have other DE razors, so I cannot tell if it is the blade itself causing the misalignment. I did try with 3 different blade manufacturers and from what I remember it didn't seem to be the blades that were the problem.

Weight:
The Pearl L-55 weighs ~105 grams. It's not a light-weight razor, it's perhaps average for a metal razor.
I know a lot of people prefer heavier handles. I've heard claims like "let gravity do the work". I don't know if I agree or understood this statement because by that logic the heavy handles should be worse when doing ATG from bottom to top as you have to work "against" gravity. Nonetheless, I don't think the weight is what that is unsuitable but perhaps the balance isn't ideal for me.

Shaves:
I've tried more pressure, less pressure, little pressure, big pressure, tried shallower angles, steeper angles... None of them resulted in a smooth, irritation free shave so far. In almost every shave, I would have some little stubble left somewhere after finishing what I would consider a good pass. I recently found that I'm not the only one who experienced this with the Pearl L-55. YouTuber SinatraLennon in this video (~time stamp 10:50) also finds such stubble and I'm sure he has way more experience than me. Another YouTuber, Better Every Shave, also finds the L-55 aggressive with considerable blade feel but not a close shave. So this is what makes me think perhaps it is not entirely my technique to blame... To be fair, there are reviewers who found this razor pretty good so I do not want to give the impression that this razor is outright unsuitable to most people.

I've tried three different blades. None of them made a noticeable difference to the overall result. The Gillette 7 o' clock PermaSharp felt sharper but I also only tried it with the CC head. I really don't feel like shaving with the CC using this razor anymore. OC is okay-ish enough already.

Conclusion:
Well, what can I conclude from 20 shaves? I don't think I want to stick with this razor for 6 months until I finally achieve a DFS++/BBS irritation, free shave. Maybe if I was lucky enough to have had a GameChanger/BlackBird/Yates/Rocca as my first razor I might... but not with this razor. One thing I feel strongly is that OC vs CC does not matter as much as blade gap, exposure, shaving angle and clamping. The other thing is, from one noob to another.

Pearl have better offerings with their fully CNC razors — Blaze, Hammer and their adjustable Flexi. Maybe, I could give one of these a try but the cost gets a bit close to importing more well known CNC razors.

Either way, I know Pearl L-55 is not my "works well enough" razor. I am approaching the point where I can declare it is not my noobness that is the problem. I will still be using it and slowly trying more blades out, until I figure out what to do next being more careful with each shave and trying my best to learn from each shave. When I get a better (and probably more expensive) razor I want to make sure I am confident my technique is decent.

But for now,
Sorry Pearl, it's you, not me... :em18:

I am so sad to hear that you razor is not working out for you. I have no experience with Pearl razors so I cannot speak for them. Maybe there are some other affordable razors around your location that you can try that may be easier to use.

I have NO experience with Pearl razors, so I can speak freely!! (And take this with more than a grain of salt.)

From your description, I suggest you are correct; time to move on from your razor.

Thanks!

Here we also have Parker, Romer-7, and a few others. So fairly decent choice although CNC choices are limited. I will keep my eyes peeled :cool:

I might just bite the bullet and import a good CNC razor.

Thanks!

Here we also have Parker, Romer-7, and a few others. So fairly decent choice although CNC choices are limited. I will keep my eyes peeled :cool:

I might just bite the bullet and import a good CNC razor.
You can always do a CNC razor :cool: but maybe a Parker Variant. I have not used one and they get decent reviews here on B&B and they are adjustable. That way you can adjust it if it is too aggressive or too mild. They seem to come both in SB and OC versions.

Dave himself

Wee Words of Wisdom
I think your right that the problem is the razor and not you. The only Pearl razor I have is the Hammer, and although it's CNC machined I don't think it would be good as a first razor as it's quite efficient.

Just because you buy a CNC machined razor doesn't mean the razor will shave you better, but you will get better fit and finish and almost perfect tolerances.

I would do a bit of research and see what most people recommend for a beginner, that you can find in your own area.

Hope some of this helps and good luck.

Iridian

Cool and slimy
I agree with Dave, if you cannot get along with a razor and still don't like it after 20 shaves... I think I ordered my R41 after I was not so happy with my R89 after less shaves.

I loved the R41 right away, the R89, after revisiting it years later, it's still not my razor of choice.

I have no idea what you can locally get and how much you are willing to spend. I usually suggest starting out with a Razorock Game Changer .84P or the DSCosmetic S9 clone and then figuring out if you like more aggression, want an open comb or something like that.

I think your right that the problem is the razor and not you. The only Pearl razor I have is the Hammer, and although it's CNC machined I don't think it would be good as a first razor as it's quite efficient.

Just because you buy a CNC machined razor doesn't mean the razor will shave you better, but you will get better fit and finish and almost perfect tolerances.

I would do a bit of research and see what most people recommend for a beginner, that you can find in your own area.

Hope some of this helps and good luck.

Thanks! Yes, that makes sense. I will narrow down my choices based on my requirements. Sometimes I shave every 2-3 days and sometimes I might have to go nearly a week without shaving. i don't think I will ever shave everyday so I don't want something that it is too mild either.

An adjustable might be an option too but I am not rushing my choice but one thing is that even though the L-55 is not so far given me great shaves it is still better shaves and lesser irritation than when I was using a cartridge razor.

Thanks again for the advice ☺️ happy shaving 🪒

Here we also have Parker
I've got a Parker Semi-slant and like it. It's not in my top choices as I place comfort over closeness, but it also sells for a good bit less. Unless it's cheap locally you might be better off doing as you say and saving more to get a higher quality razor. Don't get me wrong. The Semi-slant is definitely a good razor and gives a great shave.

Have you looked at the Gillette Guard? I purchased a few, but never did try one.

Last edited:

Some people say you can get good shaves with any razor, but...

I would say that is a true statement...

...assuming the razor is designed properly, manufactured properly (not defective) or damaged.

It is always possible to get a crappy shave, or even injury, from a razor that doesn't meet that criteria. Unless the razor is damaged, if you have blade alignment issues which cause bad shaves, that is either a design or manufacturing problem.

Pearl has a history of blade alignment issues, particularly with the Flexi. It is entirely possible that the L-55 is a crappy razor (bad design) with poor quality control.

Regardless, sorry to hear about your trouble.

Maybe pick up an inexpensive, vintage Gillette razor (Tech, Superspeed) on the auction site... easy to learn and no alignment issues.

Thanks everyone for your inputs! Much appreciated :thumbup:

I have no idea what you can locally get and how much you are willing to spend. I usually suggest starting out with a Razorock Game Changer .84P or the DSCosmetic S9 clone and then figuring out if you like more aggression, want an open comb or something like that.

For now, the only razors I can import are those that have free international shipping on Giftsandcare.com. I don't know any other site that offers free international shipping for razors. On G&C, Mühle Rocca is a CNC razor that has free intl. shipping but unfortunately they don't offer it for their Razorock razors. The Rocca is said to be medium aggressive but at least it will not have alignment issues like the L-55 so maybe I might give this a try. I don't want a very mild razor because I let my stubble grow at least 2 to 3 days between shaves. I don't think I will ever be an everyday shaver and if that ever happens I don't mind getting another razor specifically for everyday shaving.

I want to try GameChanger at some point although I'm confused whether 0.84 or 0.68 would be better, but probably only one way to find out :) I heard a lot of good things about the Razorock GC esp. the slim head profile is very appealing.

DSCosmetics/Yaqi is harder to get since AliExpress is banned here and I would have to try get it by other means which I'm not keen on at the moment.

I've got a Parker Semi-slant and like it. It's not in my top choices as I place comfort over closeness, but it also sells for a good bit less. Unless it's cheap locally you might be better off doing as you say and saving more to get a higher quality razor. Don't get me wrong. The Semi-slant is definitely a good razor and gives a great shave.

Have you looked at the Gillette Guard? I purchased a few, but never did try one.

Yes, Parker Semi-slant is available. Now Pearl have come out with their own Semi-slant as well. Gillette Guard I will look into, but I don't necessarily need a pivoting head razor. The shaves I get with L-55 while not great, are better shaves than I got with pivoting head cartridge razors I've tried before.

I have the Pearl SSH-02 and like it quite a bit, but I've seen chatter about people being unsatisfied with their Pearls so maybe I just got a nice one.

Yes, the SSH-02 is probably a milder but more efficient razor than the L-55. I think the only reason I chose the L-55 was it came with both OC and CC plates and it was recommended to beginners. I now have learnt OC vs CC isn't as big a difference compared to blade gap/exposure/shaving angle.

I would say that is a true statement...

...assuming the razor is designed properly, manufactured properly (not defective) or damaged.

It is always possible to get a crappy shave, or even injury, from a razor that doesn't meet that criteria. Unless the razor is damaged, if you have blade alignment issues which cause bad shaves, that is either a design or manufacturing problem.

Pearl has a history of blade alignment issues, particularly with the Flexi. It is entirely possible that the L-55 is a crappy razor (bad design) with poor quality control.

Regardless, sorry to hear about your trouble.

Maybe pick up an inexpensive, vintage Gillette razor (Tech, Superspeed) on the auction site... easy to learn and no alignment issues.

Pearl have supposedly sorted out their QC issues with their CNC razors and I've read good things about the Flexi. The only thing I am not keen on about the Flexi is its weight. The Pearl L-55 is already heavy enough for me at ~100 grams. The Pearl Flexi is ~140 grams. I don't know if I would like something that heavy.

I don't know if it is available to you, but the Pearl Blaze (CNC brass) is very well made and, for me, it is an excellent shaver. I'd call it on the mild side of medium. Tolerances are very tight, so no alignment problems.

Yes, all Pearl razors are available here. Pearl Blaze has been on my mind since the beginning before I bought any DE razor. I considered starting with the Blaze but the only reason I got the L-55 was because the Blaze costs 5 times the L-55 does and I wasn't sure if I would like DE shaving at all. Now I got to experience DE shaving first hand and even with the L-55 I am not going back to cartridge or electric trimmers.

You can always do a CNC razor :cool: but maybe a Parker Variant. I have not used one and they get decent reviews here on B&B and they are adjustable. That way you can adjust it if it is too aggressive or too mild. They seem to come both in SB and OC versions.
+1.

The Parker Variant seems to be an improved version of the Merkur Progress, at reasonable cost. I have a Progress, and hesitate to recommend it to new shavers:

. . . When loading a blade, it's up to the shaver to keep the blade properly aligned.

The Parker Variant has fixed that problem, according to reports.

I recently got a Pearl Flexi. The tolerances are very tight, blade alignment is perfect. It's heavier than the Progress. It didn't work well with Feather blades for me, but it is excellent with Astra SP blades. If you can afford it, it would be a good choice. The adjustment range is from mild to aggressive. I set it to 2, on a 1-6 scale.

. Charles

+1.

The Parker Variant seems to be an improved version of the Merkur Progress, at reasonable cost. I have a Progress, and hesitate to recommend it to new shavers:

. . . When loading a blade, it's up to the shaver to keep the blade properly aligned.

The Parker Variant has fixed that problem, according to reports.

I recently got a Pearl Flexi. The tolerances are very tight, blade alignment is perfect. It's heavier than the Progress. It didn't work well with Feather blades for me, but it is excellent with Astra SP blades. If you can afford it, it would be a good choice. The adjustment range is from mild to aggressive. I set it to 2, on a 1-6 scale.

Thanks for your input ☺️

How do you find the weight of Pearl Flexi? Do you prefer really hefty razors? I heard some people even returning or selling it because they found it too heavy.

Yes, it's heavy. 143 grams, compared to the Progress' 92 grams. I'd guess the Parker Variant is also around 90-100 grams. (50 grams of difference is two ounces in the British world -- not much.)

I don't have any preference for heavy razors -- the Flexi the heaviest one I own. I have a Razorock Lupo Aluminum, that's around 35 grams, and I don't mind using it.

The Flexi's balance point is just below the adjustment ring, fairly close to the head, and that's where I hold it. The handle has a good anti-slip pattern, and I don't worry about dropping it. After a few shaves, it felt natural.

I just checked the anti-slip under a magnifier. It looks machined, with fine ridges. Each ridge is cross-cut into rectangular islands, and each island has sharp edges cut into it. There are no smooth sections.

I might be able to get a decent photo Monday.

Last edited:
The Parker Variant is 110 grams, according to Amazon and West Coast Shaving.

As an example of a good-quality, fixed-gap Zamak razor, my EJ DE89 weighs 77 grams.

Going into the tall historical grass, the Gibbs adjustable razor, that the Pearl Flexi may be based on, weighed about 73 grams:

. . . It had a plastic handle.

The Rex Ambassador (similar mechanical design to the Flexi, in stainless steel) weighs 106 gm.

Any of those razors (and the Flexi) will give you a good shave, once you adjust to it.

This discussion reminds me of some on a piano-playing forum, arguing over differences in the "action weight" (how hard it is, to depress a key) of different pianos. Whatever it is, in the real world, the player quickly adjusts his technique to the instrument.

. Charles

Parker 94 & stubble will be on the floor.
(R)
Have the Pearl Hammer in my rotation since it was out, like it also.
Good inexpensive quality shaves ( for me) YMMV

You don't have to shell out a lot, to get a great shave...

Find what works for for your stubble execution scenarios and have fun,

BFX

But for me the 41R is hard to put down.
Purchased the head, long time ago..super tool.
Handle blows, not worth for me...

Top Bottom