What's new

Thinking about ditching the SA-35

jar_

Too Fugly For Free.
Using the Way Back machine to see just what I decided I discovered that my true solution to the P-35 lust was with Smith & Wesson, first a single stack Model 39 but then a double stack Model 59. Every bit as accurate and naturally pointing as the P-35 but more rounds and slightly lighter.

Still have a 59 and will be carrying it this weekend.

59-left.jpg

Strong-Burgundy-59.jpg

Like me, it's old and ugly but it still works as it did four decades ago. (it does have a new barrel, not because the old one didn't shoot well but rather the stupid little step where the recoil spring seats was worn were it made reassemble a challenge).

The S&W 59 and my (the first factory compact Wonder Nine) 469 are still among my favorite 9mm pistols and honestly still competitive when compared to anything being made today. The old 469 with 15 + 1 rounds of 9mm weighs in at 33.3 ounces while the Shield 2.0 with it's 7 + 1 as well as it's second 8 round magazine weighs only about 4 ounces lighter.

Interestingly the ergonomics, grip angle, trigger guard, trigger placement of the original 39, 59, 469 pistols is still exactly what is found in today's M&P and Shield offerings. It was simply right from the beginning and still the same today.

Here is my Shield 2.0 sitting on top of my 469 with the top of the slides and rear of the grips aligned.

Shield-469-800.jpg

Whisky

ATF. I use all three.
Staff member
Im going to send an email to Nighthawk, C&S, Don Williams at The Action Works, and maybe a few others to get price, wait times, etc. any other suggestions for smiths that work on BHPs?

Ad Astra

The Instigator
CZ's are fine pistols too. I just desired that BHP for decades, and SA-35 definitely scratched that itch.

Man, you got big mitts! Sir. I myself did not realize the BHP is more G19 than G17, if you know what I mean. It is compact, not fullsize.

Beavertail and problem solved. Or ...

AA

Goatrope

Eccentric and destitute of reason
Im going to send an email to Nighthawk, C&S, Don Williams at The Action Works, and maybe a few others to get price, wait times, etc. any other suggestions for smiths that work on BHPs?

I've heard good things about Bob Cogan's gunsmith work. He does custom work on BHP's including beavertails. You might give him a shout.

I've thought about sending him my BHP for refinishing and stippling front & backstrap of grip.

1700260752688.png

I don't have problems with hammer bite on my BHP (ring hammer), but if I was going to switch guns to another steel 'BHP-like' handgun, I like the looks of that CZ-75 S2 compact that yourself and others have mentioned.

Good luck.

Last edited:
Not sure Cylinder & Slide is still in business?
No question you will fall in love with a CZ 75.
The perfect sidearm for use when on a clandestine operation in Eastern Europe.
Just be sure your Barbour/Belstaff jacket is freshly waxed and your papers are in order😳

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
True that some people got bit by the traditional BHP, but that issue was addressed and adjusted for by Springfield Armory. It must be about hand geometry or shape, dunno.

But to cure this with style and panache, here's the guaranteed answer... M23.

Don't laugh - Lugers are a slim and excellent carry. Apparently I like all grip angles.

AA

To hell with the Springfield SA-35. I’d take that Luger just on cool factor alone.

Glock took that spot decades ago. ;)

The think about a Glock is it is like AK-47, you can depend on it firing, ejecting spent cartridge, and firing again.

Years ago Glock did 100 thousand round torture text, to a Glock 17.

They froze it, buried in sand, put in mud, and other bad conditions,

The Glock survived, and worked like it was super clean.

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
The think about a Glock is it is like AK-47, you can depend on it firing, ejecting spent cartridge, and firing again.

Years ago Glock did 100 thousand round torture text, to a Glock 17.

They froze it, buried in sand, put in mud, and other bad conditions,

The Glock survived, and worked like it was super clean.

Like it was super clean? :)

Man, if that’s not perfection, I dunno what is! :)

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
@Whisky , Not that I'm trying to enable you or anything, but if you decide to spring for the beaver tail, you might consider having the front and back straps checkered or stippled at the same time, just saying.

Whisky

ATF. I use all three.
Staff member
@Whisky , Not that I'm trying to enable you or anything, but if you decide to spring for the beaver tail, you might consider having the front and back straps checkered or stippled at the same time, just saying.
So the plan for now, beavertail, front and back straps stippled, and a “reliability package” (everyone calls it something different trigger job, feedramp/chamber polish, etc), and since the frame’s going to be worked on I’m trying to decide how to have it refinished. Cost is going to be more than what I paid for the pistol, but when it’s done I’ll have what , to me, will the perfect carry pistol.

Top Bottom