What's new

Thinking about ditching the SA-35

Whisky

ATF. I use all three.
Staff member
Not all together, just as a carry option. I've had this SA-35 some months now and have had it to the range 5-6 times. I probably don't have the round count that @Ad Astra has through his but I'm slowly creeping up on 1500rnds. The reason I'm slowly creeping up is because this thing beats the ever-loving snot out of the web of my hand between my thumb and pointer finger. My grip is high enough (I'm used to beaver tails on 1911's) that the hammer comes into contact with my hand on every shot. If the hammer was a spur type I've no doubt the web of my hand would look like hamburger after a range session. In a true self defense situation I doubt that this would be a factor or even enter my mind, but it makes training and becoming truly proficient with the pistol an issue. I'm usually good for about 50rnds before the flinch starts to set in due to the anticipated pain. I've thought about shooting gloves but I'd rather train as I carry, without gloves on. The only way I've found to get my grip low enough to not be affected is to shoot with my thumb under the safety but that worries me I may accidentally place the pistol on safe due to recoil.
I'd like to stay in the 1911ish realm and prefer metal 4-5inch pistols. I've been a proponent of the .45acp cartridge for years but with recent events I think I'd rather carry 2 magazines instead of 5 to get the same number of rounds. I'm slowly coming around to the being able to put more rounds on target if needed than making a bigger hole school of thought.

I'd really like to keep the SA-35 but in order to do that I'm going to need a beavertail. Cylinder and Slide can do it but their waiting list is usually about 18 months although there isn't a wait time listed on their website right now. There are a few other places I've looked, but have no personal experience with any of them. If anyone has some suggestions I'm all ears.

Replacing it is another option. I've ben tossing around the idea of purchasing one of the Springfield Prodigy DS but reports about reliability have been hit or miss. The cost is another factor, I've just dropped quite a lot of money restocking plinking ammo and primers so I'd have to justify the purchase to the wife. A Staccato would be nice but its more expensive than the Prodigy.

The other pistol that I've seriously considered more due to the cool factor is a CZ Shadow 2 compact. I really like the look of this pistol but placing in 1/2 c0ck to carry makes me nervous. My butter fingers would probably lose grip of the hammer while trying to lower it and have an ND/AD in the master closet. My wife would not be happy. I know they can be carried in condition 1 but without one local to fondle I'm not sure i'd like the thumb safety design. CZ makes a plethora of designs that I like, but don't love, and I don't have any personal experience with the brand.

Kimber also has a new 1911 type DS 9mm. My LGS had a used one but by the time I made it up there to check it out it was sold.

Anyone have any suggestions or advice?

Ad Astra

The Instigator
Wow, mine's never bit! Have tried like four sets of grips, latest are fairly thick. It's not the recoil, that thing shoots like a 22 - it just anchors in-hand. So sorry you're having to work on it, I feel bad. I still think it's the best purchase of mine in decades.

My Walther PP never bit me either, and they have an appetite for web-skin. Grips with lower finger grooves? Hand thing? Try another hold?

AA

Whisky

ATF. I use all three.
Staff member
Wow, mine's never bit! Have tried like four sets of grips, latest are fairly thick. It's not the recoil, that thing shoots like a 22 - it just anchors in-hand. So sorry you're having to work on it, I feel bad. I still think it's the best purchase of mine in decades.

My Walther PP never bit me either, and they have an appetite for web-skin. Grips with lower finger grooves? Hand thing? Try another hold?

AA
I really don’t want to get rid of it. I was hoping it could be “the one” carry pistol that everyone looks for. I’ve tried holds but nothing feels natural to me. I haven’t tried new grips, maybe that’s my next step. I’ll take a picture of my hand/grip once the kids are in bed tonight.

jar_

Too Fugly For Free.
I had Browning, FN, Canadian, FM, FEG and Arcus P-35s.

I probably had twenty-five or thirty different grips.

I had spur hammers and rings.

I gave blood. A+

BUT there's hope.

The Browning (actually even made by Browning) BDM, even thinner, natural pointing, scary reliable and totally vegetarian.

BDM-01.gif

Kramer-#2-front.jpg

I've had my CZ75bd for about a month shot about 500 rounds through it and no problem. My carry is a Tisas 1911 duty 9mm 5 inch, bought a 1791 Holster for the CZ & it's lighter than my 1911. Paid just under $500.00 from Family Firearms, no tax & $19.95 shipping.
20231108_111256.jpg

Whisky

ATF. I use all three.
Staff member
I had Browning, FN, Canadian, FM, FEG and Arcus P-35s.

I probably had twenty-five or thirty different grips.

I had spur hammers and rings.

I gave blood. A+

BUT there's hope.

The Browning (actually even made by Browning) BDM, even thinner, natural pointing, scary reliable and totally vegetarian.

View attachment 1748597

View attachment 1748596

I've had my CZ75bd for about a month shot about 500 rounds through it and no problem. My carry is a Tisas 1911 duty 9mm 5 inch, bought a 1791 Holster for the CZ & it's lighter than my 1911. Paid just under $500.00 from Family Firearms, no tax & $19.95 shipping. View attachment 1748616
Those both look like good alternatives. There’s a local range that rents pistols, I may need to see if they have one to try out.

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
I tried putting a RDS on my Glock 19, but because of the grip angle, I had difficulty finding the dot quick enough for the informal competition we do and went back to iron sights. I can correct the natural misalignment of the iron sights due to the grip angle much quicker than I could find the red dot. Glock grip frames can be modified to a 1911 grip angle, I've never tried one though, they look kinda fugly but apparently solve the grip angle problem.

As for your issue with the bite of your SA 35, I have nothing to add above what has already been suggested. I've been tempted to look into a CZ 75 variant, mostly a Shadow 2 of some sort, but have never handled or shot one. As much as I'd like one, I can't justify the cost right now either.

Ad Astra

The Instigator
True that some people got bit by the traditional BHP, but that issue was addressed and adjusted for by Springfield Armory. It must be about hand geometry or shape, dunno.

But to cure this with style and panache, here's the guaranteed answer... M23.

Don't laugh - Lugers are a slim and excellent carry. Apparently I like all grip angles.

AA

nikonNUT

The "Peter Hathaway Capstick" of small game
@Whisky... Send that joker to Nighthawk and they will make it all better! :lol:
hipower_1.jpg

Seriously though, I got to fondle on in the Vault and it was, well, I want a Hi-Power they have massaged! Look at the beavertail on that thing!

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
Not all together, just as a carry option. I've had this SA-35 some months now and have had it to the range 5-6 times. I probably don't have the round count that @Ad Astra has through his but I'm slowly creeping up on 1500rnds. The reason I'm slowly creeping up is because this thing beats the ever-loving snot out of the web of my hand between my thumb and pointer finger. My grip is high enough (I'm used to beaver tails on 1911's) that the hammer comes into contact with my hand on every shot. If the hammer was a spur type I've no doubt the web of my hand would look like hamburger after a range session. In a true self defense situation I doubt that this would be a factor or even enter my mind, but it makes training and becoming truly proficient with the pistol an issue. I'm usually good for about 50rnds before the flinch starts to set in due to the anticipated pain. I've thought about shooting gloves but I'd rather train as I carry, without gloves on. The only way I've found to get my grip low enough to not be affected is to shoot with my thumb under the safety but that worries me I may accidentally place the pistol on safe due to recoil.
I'd like to stay in the 1911ish realm and prefer metal 4-5inch pistols. I've been a proponent of the .45acp cartridge for years but with recent events I think I'd rather carry 2 magazines instead of 5 to get the same number of rounds. I'm slowly coming around to the being able to put more rounds on target if needed than making a bigger hole school of thought.

I'd really like to keep the SA-35 but in order to do that I'm going to need a beavertail. Cylinder and Slide can do it but their waiting list is usually about 18 months although there isn't a wait time listed on their website right now. There are a few other places I've looked, but have no personal experience with any of them. If anyone has some suggestions I'm all ears.

Replacing it is another option. I've ben tossing around the idea of purchasing one of the Springfield Prodigy DS but reports about reliability have been hit or miss. The cost is another factor, I've just dropped quite a lot of money restocking plinking ammo and primers so I'd have to justify the purchase to the wife. A Staccato would be nice but its more expensive than the Prodigy.

The other pistol that I've seriously considered more due to the cool factor is a CZ Shadow 2 compact. I really like the look of this pistol but placing in 1/2 c0ck to carry makes me nervous. My butter fingers would probably lose grip of the hammer while trying to lower it and have an ND/AD in the master closet. My wife would not be happy. I know they can be carried in condition 1 but without one local to fondle I'm not sure i'd like the thumb safety design. CZ makes a plethora of designs that I like, but don't love, and I don't have any personal experience with the brand.

Kimber also has a new 1911 type DS 9mm. My LGS had a used one but by the time I made it up there to check it out it was sold.

Anyone have any suggestions or advice?

Sell or trade it in on a double stack 2011? :)

IMG_5009.jpeg
IMG_0971.jpeg
IMG_2077.jpeg

I have had zero problems with both my BHP and SA-35. However if you‘re thinking an alternative is in order I’d suggest:
HK P30SK
Beretta 8000 Cougar (good luck here)
CZ 75 Compact
All legit choices

Whisky

ATF. I use all three.
Staff member
Forgot to post this, here’s my grip. And this is with my thumb basically alongside the safety, not on top of it like I shoot my 1911’s. The hammer slaps my hand with just about every shot.

IMG_2788.jpeg

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
If you are otherwise satisfied with the SA 35, I'd definitely have a beavertail and/or hammer modification done.

Top Bottom