What's new

Are The Ruger LCP Models Durable?

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
I

I looked at the LCP II and honestly it didn’t make much sense to me, it’s a slightly better range gun, but also slightly worse carry gun. Same round, same mag capacity, slightly larger. My absolutely most favorite thing about LCP is just how extremely pocketable it is, while being still relatively easy to shoot. For me at least. So making it larger in exchange for better sights and better trigger is not the trade-off I would personally be willing to make, but then I don’t find either the sights or the trigger especially bad (considering its purpose).

Ruger also did away with the original LCP’s “half cocked” hammer. The original LCP still has some hammer travel left to the fully cocked position even when the slide is racked, which can only be completed by pulling the trigger. The LCP II has a fully cocked hammer when the slide is racked. Most likely this is to improve the trigger feel. In theory, this makes LCP II more likely to have an accidental discharge via the hammer falling on the round if the hammer sear fails, although I’d be the first one to say that it’s very unlikely to happen. They did add a Glock-style trigger doohickey, FWIW.

To me this looks like LCP II was Ruger’s attempt to please all the people complaining about the original LCP being a less-than-stellar range gun, which it was never intended to be in the first place.

But, that’s just my very personal opinion.

Well sir, I can tell you this very detailed and astute post of yours was great! I absolutely agree with every single detail in the differences and why’s between the original LCP and the LCP II. Very accurate assessment.

This awesome post of yours makes me regret getting rid of those original LCP’s, hurt just a bit more…. Thanks partner!

;). Great post!

Well sir, I can tell you this very detailed and astute post of yours was great! I absolutely agree with every single detail in the differences and why’s between the original LCP and the LCP II. Very accurate assessment.

This awesome post of yours makes me regret getting rid of those original LCP’s, hurt just a bit more…. Thanks partner!

;). Great post!

Thank you for kind words.

They are cheap... just sayin'...

OkieStubble

My Kahr PM 9 has been reliable after the initial break in period, during which there were occasional failures to feed, but that worked itself out in due course .

I think Kahr manufactures their pistol’s with a bit higher quality of tighter tolerances than many other brands of smaller pistols. While one would think looser tolerances in small pistols go hand in hand?

I wouldn’t mind seeing some pics of your PM-9’s accuracy? :)

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
I think Kahr manufactures their pistol’s with a bit higher quality of tighter tolerances than many other brands of smaller pistols. While one would think looser tolerances in small pistols go hand in hand?

I wouldn’t mind seeing some pics of your PM-9’s accuracy? :)
Perhaps next range trip I'll put the PM 9 through it's paces and show some targets. I know I've posted targets in the past from shooting the PM9. Like any small auto that you can only get a two finger grip on, it's not easy to shoot compared to a larger gun, but it is inherently accurate if one takes their time.

On edit, this is an old pic from 2018. I don't remember the details, but it was shot at 7 yds. 10 rounds on target, probably shot 5, reloaded and shot another 5?

IMG_1091.JPG

Last edited:
Like any small auto that you can only get a two finger grip on, it's not easy to shoot compared to a larger gun, but it is inherently accurate if one takes their time.

Incidentally, I shoot G26 as well as any full size gun, and better than most. Something about that particular grip makes it very easy to shoot straight. Too chunky for its intended purpose, though...

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
I have a G27 that I used to shoot occasionally in matches way back in the day. I guy I shot with ran a G26 and did very well in the matches.

OkieStubble

Perhaps next range trip I'll put the PM 9 through it's paces and show some targets. I know I've posted targets in the past from shooting the PM9. Like any small auto that you can only get a two finger grip on, it's not easy to shoot compared to a larger gun, but it is inherently accurate if one takes their time.

On edit, this is an old pic from 2018. I don't remember the details, but it was shot at 7 yds. 10 rounds on target, probably shot 5, reloaded and shot another 5?

View attachment 1823114

That's a fine group at 7 yards for that small pistol.

Upgraded my LCP II with the MCARBO mag release spring, recoil spring, take down pin and guide rod. The slide is a bit harder to rack but it is supposed to be less snappy; we shall see. I think the mag release is a really good investment but a PITA to install. I am not going to get the trigger kit, I like the trigger the way it is. Still would like to have a S&W Bodyguard in the rotation; maybe one day.

OkieStubble

Upgraded my LCP II with the MCARBO mag release spring, recoil spring, take down pin and guide rod. The slide is a bit harder to rack but it is supposed to be less snappy; we shall see. I think the mag release is a really good investment but a PITA to install. I am not going to get the trigger kit, I like the trigger the way it is. Still would like to have a S&W Bodyguard in the rotation; maybe one day.

What is the mag capacity of the Bodyguard? I can see the benefit of having a small thin pocket .380 semi with a double action trigger like a revolver.

jar_

Too Fugly For Free.
What is the mag capacity of the Bodyguard? I can see the benefit of having a small thin pocket .380 semi with a double action trigger like a revolver.
6 + 1. And really really really easy to load magazines.

And Typical of S&W, they used the Bodyguard name for a revolver first so an S&W Bodyguard is 5, 6, or 7.

Top Bottom