What's new

Customizing my SIG P 365

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
So I'm embarking on a customization campaign for my beloved P365 sub compact. I love the gun but it could benefit with some improvements. I'm actually on my second P 365. My first one ran fine for the first 1000 rounds and then began having issues, mainly the back plate on the slide falling down and preventing the slide from going fully forward into battery. I sent the gun back to SIG twice for the same issue and they finally sent me a new gun. My current SIG has run fine for about 2000 rounds, but the back plate has acted up again, but it has only happened once and has been fired subsequently without issue, so far. The issue is that the back plate is only held in place by the striker spring pressure. I suppose that once that spring becomes worn, that's when the back plate has a tendency to fall down. Most people probably don't shoot their subcompacts enough to ever get to that stage. SIG has redesigned the striker assembly a few times since the introduction of the P365, but apparently has not really fixed the issue long term. MCARBO has a fix for this issue, but the parts are on back order. I will not be sending my gun back to SIG just to get the same crappy striker assembly.

I bought my P 365 before the X, XL and X Macro variants were available. The original sub compact P 365 with a flush mount magazine does not support the pinky finger, the pinky is supported with the extended 12 round magazine, but some people have difficulty dropping a mag and doing a quick mag change due to the short grip. I have shot my P 365 in informal matches just for familiarization and really have not had much trouble doing a speed reload, so that is not a major issue for me. Of course I'm not very competitive against other shooters running full sized race guns with me shooting the sub compact, nor do I expect to be, but I wonder if my accuracy might be better with a larger grip? The modularity of these guns lend themselves to easy modification. There are replacement grip frames available from SIG and other aftermarket companies. You just pop out one pin and lift the Fire Control Unit right out and plop it into the grip frame of your choice. The FCU is the serialized part. I chose to go with the Wlison Combat XL grip module. It has a 1911 type shape with slight palm swells, a beaver tail and is relieved a bit under the trigger guard. This should allow for a higher grip and hopefully a bit more control. The WC module has raised "grip panels" like the slab grip scales of a 1911. I decided to paint just the "scales" to look like wood scales. I'm in the process of doing that now. Hopefully I won't "bubba it up" too badly!

Wilson Combat black grip module as received:
IMG_2656.jpeg
IMG_2658.jpeg

And taped off ready for painting.

Last edited:

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
I also have inbound a replacement trigger and spring kit from MCARBO that should reduced the trigger pull from a little over 6 lbs down to about 3.5 lbs or so and have a much shorter reset. When I bought my P 365, it had the curved trigger and that was all that was available at the time.While SIG has a straight trigger option, it is a MIM part and other than being straight, doesn't improve things all that much. The MCARBO trigger is CNC produced and has a lot better geometry and reduced travel and reset in comparison.

I personally would not modify what I carry for CCW, it rests legal problems.

This was told me by Defense Attorney in AZ, who specializes in defence.

Know when I carry sidearm in Law Dog job, we had strict guide line on Trigger Pull for both Duty & Off Duty Firearms.

Rangemasters did random checks to keep everything in spec.

It was all about prevent or being able to defend litigation.

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
I personally would not modify what I carry for CCW, it rests legal problems.

This was told me by Defense Attorney in AZ, who specializes in defence.

Know when I carry sidearm in Law Dog job, we had strict guide line on Trigger Pull for both Duty & Off Duty Firearms.

Rangemasters did random checks to keep everything in spec.

It was all about prevent or being able to defend litigation.
Duly noted. I will be shooting this gun quite a bit and may reconsider the trigger pull weight down the line. There are an assortment of springs that can be used to achieve a desired trigger pull. If a trigger pull other than factory gives me more control accuracy wise, then there may be less chance of collateral damage in a real life engagement. Of course trigger finger discipline plays a huge part in avoiding an ND. I suspect that factory trigger weights are determined with marginally trained persons in mind.

Duly noted. I will be shooting this gun quite a bit and may reconsider the trigger pull weight down the line. There are an assortment of springs that can be used to achieve a desired trigger pull. If a trigger pull other than factory gives me more control accuracy wise, then there may be less chance of collateral damage in a real life engagement. Of course trigger finger discipline plays a huge part in avoiding an ND. I suspect that factory trigger weights are determined with marginally trained persons in mind.
My biggest problem with lower trigger spring weights is outrunning the trigger. Whether it's a revo or DA auto, I frequently go heavier on the return spring and maybe a couple of pounds lighter on the hammer spring.

I absolutely cannot shoot a 686 with the 10-11 pound return springs.

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
Edit: certainly you can change spring on the 365, but, if you haven't already, you might consider a flat trigger. The leverage change is significant.

I purchased a flat trigger for my Sig P365 when I had it just before I sold it.

While it’s shape and geometry gave it a very slight perception of a better trigger, it was only a perception because of where the finger sits versus a curved trigger shoe. The actual trigger weight, break and reset were unchanged.

While I noticed the perception of the weight of pull seemed to be reduced, the perception of muzzle flip actually seemed to increase also.

As I said my advice was from lawyer who defend people civilly & criminally.

Term he used when someone made stock trigger easier to use, or pull is: Enhancement, great argument about making something east like firearm easier to use.

Question an attorney might ask is why Mr. Defendant why did you modify your firearm to ENHANCE for ease of use?

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
Edit: certainly you can change spring on the 365, but, if you haven't already, you might consider a flat trigger. The leverage change is significant.

I purchased a flat trigger for my Sig P365 when I had it just before I sold it.

While it’s shape and geometry gave it a very slight perception of a better trigger, it was only a perception because of where the finger sits versus a curved trigger shoe. The actual trigger weight, break and reset were unchanged.

While I noticed the perception of the weight of pull seemed to be reduced, the perception of muzzle flip actually seemed to increase also.
As I mentioned above, I have ordered the MCARBO trigger. Their video goes into great detail about the superior engineering of the MCARBO trigger vs. the SIG straight trigger.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=HOyZAwvXGkw

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"

Term he used when someone made stock trigger easier to use, or pull is: Enhancement, great argument about making something east like firearm easier to use.

Question an attorney might ask is why Mr. Defendant why did you modify your firearm to ENHANCE for ease of use?
Answer: "To provide greater control and accuracy so as to avoid an errant shot."

OkieStubble

Because the 4# trigger made defending mine and my family’s life easier then the 20# trigger it replaced your honor?

The Defense rests…. You said Arizona, right? :)

Attorneys don’t convict people, juries do. And jury pools in states like ‘Arizona’ don’t convict innocent people of stupid stuff either. :)

Gotta find a different state who’s jury’s will ignore the common sense elements of the case:

Was it in self defense of life? Yes? Trigger enhancement’s don’t matter?

Was it not in self defense and murder instead? Trigger enhancement’s still don’t matter. Not In Arizona anyway. :)

Jury boxes in Arizona don’t send innocent people who saved their own lives by defending themselves and their families with a firearm to prison because their firearms trigger was too heavy for them to be accurate with it so they switched it out for an lighter aftermarket which was legal to sell, legal to purchase, legal to own and legal to use?

The clue word here is legal? :)

If you would have said; “Jersey?” Then point well taken? :)

If New Jersey wants to convict people for using aftermarket triggers or enhancements, they first have to make the sale, purchase, ownership and use of; illegal? The clue word here would be ‘illegal’?

It’s very constitutionally difficult to convict someone of something that isn’t illegal? Even in states who love trying it? :)

Last edited:

OkieStubble

The one spring I changed on mine was the return spring for a more positive return feel. Adds a little to the trigger weight but was worth it.

Even if you had to use that pistol in a self defense trial,

1. Unless there was something suspicious about the case, the prosecutor isn’t going to have the innards of your pistol examined.

2. And even if a Prosecutor did have it examined? The LE armorer which most likely would be an police academy armorer, ( been there done that ). Most likely wouldn’t be able to notice, much less identify the difference between the aftermarket return spring and the original OEM return spring. Even in a state like Hawaii who would love to find fault.

The odds of this happening isn’t even worth noting in an anti gun state. An anti gun prosecutor, is probably going to look for a fault and attempt to find one of the 5 elements of a crime in order to say you should have just let them kill you, cuz now you’re going to prison.

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
IMG_2664.jpeg

Stock upper and magazine release, stock FCU. Pierce pinky extension to convert the 12 round micro mags to work with the XL module. The fatter Wilson grip will need the extended mag release, stock mag release is awkward to manipulate but doable. Can't wait to get the MCARBO flat trigger and spring set!

Last edited:
Top Bottom