What's new

My single stack 9mm Luger history.

jar_

Too Fugly For Free.
The first 9mm Luger single stack pistol I got was either my first S&W 39 or the WWII 1941 bring-back hard chromed P-38. But it was during the mid to late 1960s.

I still have the P-38 but stupidly I let the 39 go to step up to either my 59 or 5906 (later has gone on to a Forever Home).

The IIRC I bought the Sig 225 since I really like my 226 but wanted a compact. When the polymer frames started showing up I bought my Star UltraStar and sometime later let the Sig go but the Star is still with me. While the Sig P226 always felt like it was made for my hand I never got comfortable or found the P225 to feel "Natural". It always worked but just felt wrong.

In modern single stack 9mm Luger pistols it again has been a mixed bag. The SIG P290RS should have been a favorite but instead there was a resonance with every trigger pull with both the 9mm and .380 models that left my finger stinging so both of them have gone off to Forever homes.

My S&W Shield 2.0 (9mm and also a 45acp) have done better. I'll admit they don't get to go WalkAbout as often as their metal kindred but they are relaible and adequately accurate. But the little Walther PPS is the one that gets out more often and interestingly (an surprisingly) actually is a near perfect fit in an old Alessi holster Lou made for my P225.

Requisite PRON added:

M4-P38small.jpg

225.jpg

STAR-left-800.jpg

P290RS small-01.jpg

shield-2.0.jpg

PPS-right.jpg

Interesting historical side note. The 1907 trials in which the M1911 prototype was most favoured also had 2 DWM Lugers participating, chambered in .45 ACP. Luger changed the propellant powder to a faster burning mix, with new cases both of DWM manufacture but it had some failures.

"The Luger automatic pistol, although it possesses manifest advantages in many particulars, is not recommended for service tests because its certainty of action, even with Luger ammunition, it is not considered satisfactory, because of the final seating of the cartridge is not by positive spring action, and because the powder stated by Mr. Luger to be necessary, for its satisfactory use is not now obtainable in this country." (U.S Army Annual Report For The fiscal year Ending In 1907 Pg.89)

The U.S army was still sufficiently interested in the design that it tried to put in an order for 200 more DWM Lugers, but DWM declined. The German army had just accepted the Luger as the P08 so they were tooling up for this huge order, so this might have been a factor.

An interesting what-if had it been accepted.

Fun little video with both the 9mm & .45 ACP Lugers on the In Range TV Spinner Target Challenge!

Last edited:

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
Interesting historical side note. The 1907 trials in which the M1911 prototype was most favoured also had 2 DWM Lugers participating, chambered in .45 ACP. Luger changed the propellant powder to a faster burning mix, with new cases both of DWM manufacture but it had some failures.

"The Luger automatic pistol, although it possesses manifest advantages in many particulars, is not recommended for service tests because its certainty of action, even with Luger ammunition, it is not considered satisfactory, because of the final seating of the cartridge is not by positive spring action, and because the powder stated by Mr. Luger to be necessary, for its satisfactory use is not now obtainable in this country." (U.S Army Annual Report For The fiscal year Ending In 1907 Pg.89)

The U.S army was still sufficiently interested in the design that it tried to put in an order for 200 more DWM Lugers, but DWM declined. The German army had just accepted the Luger as the P08 so they were tooling up for this huge order, so this might have been a factor.

Fun little video with both the 9mm & .45 ACP Lugers on the In Range TV Spinner Target Challenge!

Great post & video! I learned a lot! :)

Crazy good video. Forgotten weapons has shirts at varusteleka right now too. Lol wool shirts that is. Wool.

Top Bottom