What's new

Year-Round Carry Pistol.Which One?

I have been carrying a Glock in my front left pocket for 22 years. It's a .40 and its served well. But it's heavy and a little too big in my opinion for 90% of the folks. I am a big guy and can stand the constant weight and my pockets are large enough. But if I had to buy again today I would go for something in .380 or 9mm, and the Kahr would be the first gun I would try to buy.
It has more than proven itself in reliability, toughness, accuracy, and it is the smallest, lightest, most controllable of all the pocket guns out today.

before the Glock I carried a COLT double eagle officers model in .45 with a 3.5" barrel. It was a bear to shoot, and weighed slightly less than a boat anchor. I then carried a Colt Mustang .380 for a few years and then got the glock. I go armed everywhere I go, and have all my adult life. So I know a little bit about everyday carry. To me pocket carry is the only way to carry everday comfortably. The inside the waist, outside the waist, leg or ankle holsters all rub, tug, and chaff MUCH more and you get "made" as carrying.

I have never been "made" as carrying when it was in my pocket. I have a pocket holster made by a friend that completely covers the outline of the gun. It has a built in sheath for a small fixed blade knife which I always carry with the gun. And when someone says hey what's in your pocket? I whip out the knife and tell them that the sheath is what they are seeing.

But out I have only had one or two occasions on which that has happened.

Now ow there is also a secondary issue which you must think of as well. What about those places where it's posted guns not allowed? I decided some time ago that I will not go into such places, because as I said I don't go anywhere unarmed. So that limits me from going certain places. Like Museams, aquariums, zoos, public libraries, etc...

just something to think about.

Congrats Steve.
I've never regretted any of the Sigs I've owned and shot for many years. I'm sure you'll find the same. Good luck with your acquisition disorder and holsters - it's always a hoot trying new things to find "just right."

I rotate between the smith wesson bodyguard 380 , Smith Wesson shield in 9mm and a ruger LCR 38 special revolver. Most of the time it is the smith Wesson bodyguard , because I work in construction, bending over and climbing all day and the bodyguard hides in my front pocket very easily no matter what I am wearing. The others I am afraid they will be seen by a non gun owning person who may freak out and cause a problem. But when I am at home I carry the other with no problems and I can shoot any of the three good enough to defend myself if I have too and I hope that day never comes.

Given your thoughts on the matter I would recommend the S&W Shield. I have shot both the 9mm and .40 model and liked them both. They can be bought without the thumb safety now if you do not want one. (I believe)

I would say that it is less important "what you carry", than it is "to carry"... First rule in a gun fight, bring a gun.

Personally, I go with a G23, in a comp-tac holster, sitting at 4 o'clock or so... very comfortable. There are times I just carry an LC9 or SW340PD in IWB clip type holster.

Congrats on the Sig - wonderful manufacturer.

Attachments

• $image.jpg
    $image.jpg
    97.9 KB · Views: 97
Last edited:
Well, where's the range report? Haha - congrats! And it came with the 7rd mag, awesome. Check the lube situation, there's a little tube of the Sig stuff in the box if you don't have any. Make sure the rails are slicked lighlty, and other regular spots for oil and go blow about 2-300 rds through it! Some people have some FTE with 115gr, especially at first. Try a box of 124gr, and hold it snuggly as it doesn't like to be limp wristed much. Congrats again - you'll love it. Totally dig the rounded edges of the SAS.

Well, where's the range report? Haha - congrats! And it came with the 7rd mag, awesome. Check the lube situation, there's a little tube of the Sig stuff in the box if you don't have any. Make sure the rails are slicked lighlty, and other regular spots for oil and go blow about 2-300 rds through it! Some people have some FTE with 115gr, especially at first. Try a box of 124gr, and hold it snuggly as it doesn't like to be limp wristed much. Congrats again - you'll love it. Totally dig the rounded edges of the SAS.

Thanks, and the range report will be forthcoming after this Friday!

Here's a better pic & one with the little guy next to his big brother.

$IMG_1988.jpg

View attachment 546003

Attachments

• $IMG_1999edit1.jpg
    $IMG_1999edit1.jpg
    57.5 KB · Views: 102
Well done Steve! She's a looker. Did you select a holster yet?

I have an Alien Gear IWB holster ordered for it, Jim, and I am looking at a few other options. A guy that works for me tinkers with leatherwork as a hobby & he is working something up too.

i went thru the bigger caliber or easy to carry continuously for a few years; have an LCP with a wallet style holster(fires while still seated) and have carried more than any other.

I carry a Kel-Teck P3AT .380. With Hornady critical defense rounds. With A pocket holster it drops in a pocket and disappears. It takes some practice to shoot well, a chrimson trace laser helps in low night. It's great for Sommer.

Top Bottom