What's new

Year-Round Carry Pistol.Which One?

So, while by no means a firearms expert, I have a good bit of experience, both personally and professionally. With that in mind, I find myself in the market for a pistol for concealed carry. I mention "year-round" in the title because I would like to minimize printing under a t-shirt or polo in the summer.

Caliber-wise, although the majority of my experience is with .45 (1911, current personal pistol) and .40 (duty pistol for several years), I am primarily looking at 9mm, for capacity, availability of ammo and shootability in a smaller pistol.

Obviously, for my concealment criteria, I am looking at a smaller compact to a subcompact model. Reliability and accuracy at normal personal defense ranges are paramount. Beyond that, my preference is for a USA-made pistol, though not a deal-breaker. Right out of the gate, the S&W M&P 9C and Shield 9 look like good options, as do the Ruger SR9C and LC9.

Thoughts? Other options?

Well, if you decide on a Shield, may as well go with the .40 (I have one and it is a great carry pistol if you incorporate a proper holster and belt). The .40 frame can be retrofit for 9mm if you desire but not the other way around. I personally think a Beretta Nano or S&W j-frame may be better choices though.

Well, if you decide on a Shield, may as well go with the .40 (I have one and it is a great carry pistol if you incorporate a proper holster and belt). The .40 frame can be retrofit for 9mm if you desire but not the other way around. I personally think a Beretta Nano or S&W j-frame may be better choices though.

Any particular reason for .40 over 9mm? I don't personally feel (any longer) that 9mm puts me at a disadvantage in a realistic personal defense scenario. I have more of a concern with a larger round in a small pistol than any doubts about a 9mm getting the job done.

Why the Nano over the Shield?

No real interest in wheel guns for carry, so not looking in the direction of the j frame. No offense to revolver lovers, as my first handgun was a Ruger GP100 in .357mag that I wish I still had, but I am looking strictly at pistols. No need to muddy the water there.

Last edited:

Commander Quan

Commander Yellow Pantyhose
I would add the Sig p239 to the short list. I am a fan of the DA/SA guns, although I know not everyone is. The first shot is a deliberate action, which can help prevent accidental discharges and any follow ups are easy.

Given your familiarity with the 1911, and desire for a small 9mm - I strongly suggest you look at the Sig P938. Its a small SA and carries cocked and locked. Very accurate even with 3" barrel, handles well and is fairly easy to manage even with +P. Make sure to use with the 7rd mag that has the pinky grip. Makes a tremendous difference. PSA was running a special on the Rosewood model this week for 499, which is really a good deal, but does not seem to include the 7rd mag.

I agree with a Shield 100%. At this point in time, S&W is not selling barrels and there are no aftermarket barrels available. So swapping between .40 and 9mm ain't going to happen just yet.

I have a Shield in 9mm and it's performed flawlessly. Digests every form of ammo I feed it with gusto and is remarkably easy to shoot for such a small pistol. Tons of holster options. It's a bit large for pocket carry IMO.

Mine is usually loaded with 124gr XTP's or 124gr GD's and carried in a High Noon Hidden Ally or FoxX Hybrid.

For me, the best combination of size, weight, concealability, quality, etc. was, and remains, the Kahr CM9. I vary my cc guns with the season, but if I had to pick just one and stick with it year round, it would be the CM9. BTW, my recommendation is to stay away from .40 in small, light CC guns. The recoil is just brutal. Watch Men in Black and check out the scene where Will Smith fires the "noisy cricket" for the first time... :lol:

Given your familiarity with the 1911, and desire for a small 9mm - I strongly suggest you look at the Sig P938. Its a small SA and carries cocked and locked. Very accurate even with 3" barrel, handles well and is fairly easy to manage even with +P. Make sure to use with the 7rd mag that has the pinky grip. Makes a tremendous difference. PSA was running a special on the Rosewood model this week for 499, which is really a good deal, but does not seem to include the 7rd mag.

That is more affordable than I would have thought for the Sig, I'll have to check into it.

I agree with a Shield 100%. At this point in time, S&W is not selling barrels and there are no aftermarket barrels available. So swapping between .40 and 9mm ain't going to happen just yet.

I have a Shield in 9mm and it's performed flawlessly. Digests every form of ammo I feed it with gusto and is remarkably easy to shoot for such a small pistol. Tons of holster options. It's a bit large for pocket carry IMO.

Mine is usually loaded with 124gr XTP's or 124gr GD's and carried in a High Noon Hidden Ally or FoxX Hybrid.

I have heard nothing but good things about the Shield, which is why I was leaning that way. I can pick one up locally for $380, with no sales tax in DE, which seems to be a pretty good price.

For me, the best combination of size, weight, concealability, quality, etc. was, and remains, the Kahr CM9. I vary my cc guns with the season, but if I had to pick just one and stick with it year round, it would be the CM9. BTW, my recommendation is to stay away from .40 in small, light CC guns. The recoil is just brutal. Watch Men in Black and check out the scene where Will Smith fires the "noisy cricket" for the first time... :lol:

I have looked a little at the Kahr & it seems like a solid option as well.

Your thoughts mirror mine on .40 in a small, light pistol. I love it in a full size, but it doesn't seem like it would be very shooter friendly in a small gun. For me, it just doesn't seem like a worthwhile trade off, but that is just my opinion.

And I love that scene...:laugh:

Any particular reason for .40 over 9mm? I don't personally feel (any longer) that 9mm puts me at a disadvantage in a realistic personal defense scenario. I have more of a concern with a larger round in a small pistol than any doubts about a 9mm getting the job done.

Why the Nano over the Shield?

No real interest in wheel guns for carry, so not looking in the direction of the j frame. No offense to revolver lovers, as my first handgun was a Ruger GP100 in .357mag that I wish I still had, but I am looking strictly at pistols. No need to muddy the water there.

True, S&W no longer sells the barrels as they were not too happy about seeing how to make the conversion on YouTube. They will still replace them as part of a warranty repair though. Not saying if you looked REALLY hard that one could not be found.

The Nano is my preferred carry pistol of the two actually. The fact that is chambered for 9mm helps give it the edge. It along with a Sig Sauer P229 (also 9mm) are my all around favorites. The Nano shoots way better and because of the design just seems to disappear when being carried on a daily basis. Also it is just that much easier to control; the S&W in .40 cal. can be a tedious gun to shoot. Not dissing the Shield, it is surely a competent pistol and it sees more than its share of use.

Love my Ruger GP 100. Probably the best .357 out there. True, it can be a lot to carry but again with the proper holster, it is no real problem. Plus...the .357 Magnum has proven to be one of the best defensive cartridges ever. That makes it worth the effort.

$Nano and Theis (2).jpg

$cozy2.jpg

$20140811_132809.jpg

$IMG_0061.JPG (2).jpg

Last edited:
I would add the Sig p239 to the short list. I am a fan of the DA/SA guns, although I know not everyone is. The first shot is a deliberate action, which can help prevent accidental discharges and any follow ups are easy.
+1, with a Crossbreed horse leather backed tuck iwb.

quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by Commander Quan

+ 2

A carry is only viable when it is carried. Larger "holstered" service weapons tend to be left at home more than carried.

My advise is to get something that will be with you 24/7/365 that you do not need to think "should I take it or not" as it is always in a pocket.

When you need something it does not matter what caliber it is, it just NEEDS to be with you.

These are my 2 carries that I have used for the past 40 years that I have been licensed. When I am dressed I am armed. When I am undressed you are in more trouble than you can imagine :001_smile

You can always put on something heavier if you want to but keep something in your pocket at all times if your work or circumstances require it.

Left: Bauer - Browning "Baby" (25 acp) | Right Seecamp (380 acp)

Both full stainless (down to the springs) Bauer is no longer made but the Seecamp is still in production

proxy.php

A carry is only viable when it is carried. Larger "holstered" service weapons tend to be left at home more than carried.

My advise is to get something that will be with you 24/7/365 that you do not need to think "should I take it or not" as it is always in a pocket.

When you need something it does not matter what caliber it is, it just NEEDS to be with you.

These are my 2 carries that I have used for the past 40 years that I have been licensed. When I am dressed I am armed. When I am undressed you are in more trouble than you can imagine :001_smile

You can always put on something heavier if you want to but keep something in your pocket at all times if your work or circumstances require it.

Left: Bauer - Browning "Baby" (25 acp) | Right Seecamp (380 acp)

Both full stainless (down to the springs) Bauer is no longer made but the Seecamp is still in production

proxy.php
I totally agree that if I am dressed, I am armed (as long as I am in a jurisdiction where I am licensed). When I started carrying, I always pocket carried in a pocket holster. After a while I realized that I spend probably 90% of my waking hours seated and that, when seated, extracting a gun from a pocket is next to impossible. That was when I started carrying primarily in one of a variety of holsters. In cold weather, when I am wearing a heavy coat, I do carry in my coat pocket, either a back-up or my primary gun, in a pocket holster.

While I carry either an XD or 1911 on my hip, the one that is ALWAYS with me, either in the pocket or alone in an OWB pancake holster when I'm not carrying one of the larger pistols is my J Frame S&W 642.

Stopped by a local gun shop that has an indoor range today. Their prices weren't as good (Shield 9 @ $450 vs $380 at another store near my house), but they do have a decent selection of range rental pistols, at least a few of which would meet my needs. $20 for range time and $15 for a pistol; no limit on range time and you can swap out any pistol that you like during that visit. $35 plus ammo and I can shoot as many of them as I want for as long as I want, according to the guy that I talked to.

:a33::gun_bandana::2guns::tank::gunsmilie:

I carry my XDs year round. I'm a fan of 9mm since you get a round that will still stop the threat, but also lets you hold a few more shots. I preferred the XDs over the Springfield EMP, Shield, and Walther PPS. The PPS and XDs feel about the same in the hand, but the XDs was cheaper. I never got to shoot the Walther, unfortunately. I shot the Shield and EMP on the same range day as my XDs and still prefer my gun. The same goes Glock 17, 22, 23, 26 and the compact .45cal...forgot the name. All guns were good guns, I just like the XDs more. Fondle as many and shoot several to try. I doubt you'll get a bad recommendation here. The best one will be the one that fits your hands.

You fail to mention what environment that you are carrying the pistol in. From your preferences, I assume that you are carrying in an urban environment rather than the country.

NAA Mini .22mag.

You could hide this thing in board shorts...its that small. More powerful than .25acp. I got a .25acp as well, grandpa gave it to me, didn't have a use for it around his place, but the trigger is terrible, and NO way would i carry it with one in the pipe. I'd rather pull back a hammer than chamber a round when push comes to shove!

Top Bottom