What's new

Year-Round Carry Pistol.Which One?

I carry a Kel-Teck P3AT .380. With Hornady critical defense rounds. With A pocket holster it drops in a pocket and disappears. It takes some practice to shoot well, a chrimson trace laser helps in low night. It's great for Sommer.
I carry the same kind of gun, laser and ammo in the summer. I used to carry it in a pocket holster until, as has been mentioned elsewhere in this thread, I realized that I spend a huge portion of my time sitting on my butt and getting anything out of a front pocket while seated is a time-consuming and acrobatic project. Since that epiphany, I started carrying on my belt. If I am going to be driving a car for a significant amount of time, I wear the holster in cross-draw position so that I can clear it without running into conflicts with the seat belt/buckle.

So....turns out that it works:

$IMG_2009.jpg

I ran 150 rounds through it and another 150 through my 1911. The Sig performed flawlessly, not a single malfunction. It is actually a really, really sweet shooting little pistol too. I had concerns that it would be, um, let's just say, "less than fun" shooting such a small gun, but it's very well-behaved, and actually very fun. It is a softer shooter than the big .45. Great sights on it too, made me immediately want to upgrade the crappy sights on my Springfield.

I made a good choice, very happy with the gun. :thumbup1:

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
Softer shooter than a full size 1911? I think the Sig only weighs about 16 ounces, and in 9mm I would think it would be a hand full. Good to hear that it's not a bruiser. What ammo did you use, WWB FMJ?

Sounds like it's a great little gun, and Sig is known for quality.

Softer shooter than a full size 1911? I think the Sig only weighs about 16 ounces, and in 9mm I would think it would be a hand full. Good to hear that it's not a bruiser. What ammo did you use, WWB FMJ?

Sounds like it's a great little gun, and Sig is known for quality.

I expected it to be a handful as well, but found it surprisingly well behaved. I do think the fact that all 3 magazines that I have are the 7-rounders with the finger extension makes a difference. I'm not sure if I could make the same statement with the flat bottom 6 round magazine.

I was shooting 230gr fmj (Fiocchi and WWB) in the 1911and 115gr Herters fmj and Rem UMC mc in the Sig.

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
For warm T-shirt weather I have three favorites that I rotate through, S&W .38 spl airweight, Kahr PM9 and Kahr P45. Not discounting other makes and models of similar size. Bottom line for me is minimum caliber of .38 or 9mm, 5 shot snub revolver or single stack compact auto. Although I have and have carried .40S&W both on and off duty, too much muzzle snap in small concealable varieties.YMMV.

...so, yeah, now Mrs. Mountaineer has decided that she wants to learn to shoot and to eventually get her DE concealed carry permit.

Awesome. :w00t:

...so, yeah, now Mrs. Mountaineer has decided that she wants to learn to shoot and to eventually get her DE concealed carry permit.

Awesome. :w00t:

That's by far the best news to come out of this thread. Women make up the largest percentage of new firearm owners today. So happy for you, and her :thumbup:

I have the little P938 as well. Since conceal-ability was my primary concern, I went with the flat-bottomed mags rather than the extended ones. That means it's effectively a 1.75-finger grip for me. To help with that, I bought the Hogue Overmold grips, which are fantastic. However, it does mean that it shoots VERY differently with the 115gr FMJ training ammo vs the 147gr HST defensive ammo. Enough differently that I buy a box of 147gr FMJ every once in a while to remind myself of how it behaves (since I train with 115gr FMJ because I'm cheap).

FWIW, with a barrel that short, you'd be wanting to look at normal-pressure (meaning not +P or +P+), heavy (147gr) stuff, rather than "light and hot" rounds.

I have the little P938 as well. Since conceal-ability was my primary concern, I went with the flat-bottomed mags rather than the extended ones. That means it's effectively a 1.75-finger grip for me. To help with that, I bought the Hogue Overmold grips, which are fantastic. However, it does mean that it shoots VERY differently with the 115gr FMJ training ammo vs the 147gr HST defensive ammo. Enough differently that I buy a box of 147gr FMJ every once in a while to remind myself of how it behaves (since I train with 115gr FMJ because I'm cheap).

FWIW, with a barrel that short, you'd be wanting to look at normal-pressure (meaning not +P or +P+), heavy (147gr) stuff, rather than "light and hot" rounds.

Have you run 124gr Rem Golden Sabers or Hornady Critical Defense (124gr also, I think?) through yours? If so, thoughts as a primary carry round on either?

I like the Hogue grips, especially for a pistol of this size. Any issues with clothing catching on the stickier rubber grips, either causing it to reveal or inhibiting your draw?

That's by far the best news to come out of this thread. Women make up the largest percentage of new firearm owners today. So happy for you, and her :thumbup:

She can still surprise me! I told her that I will set her up in a firearms safety class & then she can go to the range with me. I'm reasonably well trained and I don't have any egregious bad habits, but in the end, I'm a shooter, not an instructor.

It's going to be a good year for firearms in the Mountaineer household. The new Sig, an AR showing up next week from PSA, my better half wanting to learn to shoot and get her own handgun, plus I am thinking about getting into reloading and maybe starting an AR build. There goes the neighborhood.

Have you run 124gr Rem Golden Sabers or Hornady Critical Defense (124gr also, I think?) through yours? If so, thoughts as a primary carry round on either?
Nope. I've been sticking to rounds that have documented acceptable results in professional ballistics testing. There's relatively few of those to choose from! I'm using the Federal HST 9mm 147gr because it's done exceptionally well in every test report I've been able to run down.

I like the Hogue grips, especially for a pistol of this size. Any issues with clothing catching on the stickier rubber grips, either causing it to reveal or inhibiting your draw?
Actually makes it easier and the gun sticks in my hand better and of course then your hand is covering the grip during the draw. No problems sweeping the cover away from it either.

Only issue with it is that its too thin in the area where the bolts go through (or the Sig factory bolts are too long, take your pick). If you tightening the stock bolts until they're tight against the rubber, the bolts protrude into the magwell and interfere with the mag. Solution is to go to the hardware store and buy a dozen or so tiny washers. Use the washers under the head of the bolt until it tightens properly without the tip of the bolt protruding into the magwell. Of course, you could get shorter bolts, but the hardware store didn't have any.

I have also been looking for another smaller CCP in 9mm. I currently carry a Kahr CW9, and I absolutely love it. No malfunctions (make sure you follow the break-in procedures in the manual), and it is combat accurate out to 25 yards. I have decided that I "need" another carry gun. I've looked at the XDS9, but I don't like the idea of the grip safety. I also looked at the Ruger LC9S, but I also don't like the idea of a magazine disconnect. The new Walther CCP was something that I really looked forward to, but I thought the trigger was really grainy when I played with it at the gun shop yesterday. I have shot the shield in 9 which I thought was a really nice gun, and I had no complaints. I just don't think it has enough of an advantage over my Kahr for me to make a switch. I think I'm just going to wait for Glock to stop teasing us and finally release the single stack 9. If you want something right now, I would recommend the CW9.

Glock 26 or 27. Mine is a 27, that I put a tungsten guide rod in. No real noticeable difference from the compact .40, though it takes a couple times out to get used to the short grip. Hides well in just about every scenario.

Attachments

• $image.jpg
    $image.jpg
    56.1 KB · Views: 74
The 9mm Shield is an outstanding gun. I've never carried one, but it's so small I'm sure it would carry comfortably.

Top Bottom