What's new

Thinking about my first .45 ACP...

Claudel Xerxes

Staff member
I've been toying with the idea of once again diversifying my gun selection and picking up a pistol chambered in .45 ACP.

As many of you could probably imagine, this came about by my interest in wanting a 1911 awhile back. After handling a number of them at my local gun shop, I discovered that my hands are terrible when it comes to the controls of a 1911. My thumb will not reach the mag release or slide stop/release without completely shifting my grip. My desire to get a 1911 started to fade after that realization.

I still had a desire to get a hammer fired pistol, so I started to check out some of Sig's P229s and P226s in 9mm. All of the 229s and most of the 226s felt the same as the 1911s to me. I just couldn't reach some of the controls comfortably. I finally came across a P226 Legion in 9mm and my local shop/range happened to have a SAO 226 Legion available for rent on their range. That thing was such a tack driver that I almost gave up on my VP9 after shooting the Legion. Luckily, Rob talked some sense into me and I put the 9mm Legion on the backburner.

Fast-forward to a few months later when I'm once again thinking about getting a pistol that's chambered in .45. My buddy has had a Glock 21 for years and kept on talking about going shooting. One of his excuses why we would never go is that he didn't have much ammo. So, I picked up a couple of boxes in .45 in anticipation that we'd shoot his Glock. After some time and multiple excuses why he couldn't make it to the range, I decided to rent a pistol at my range and use up those .45 rounds. I figured what the heck, and decided to try a 1911 to see what all of the fuss was about. My range only had a Sig TACOPS and a Springfield Loaded (I can't remember the specific model). The guys around in the shop at the time preferred the Sig, so I went with that one. I did not find it to be a bad gun, but I just didn't find it to be too impressive. The same problem that I've always had with the controls annoyed me, but I tried to look past that. The recoil was far more manageable than I expected. I just didn't think it was a comfortable gun. It wasn't any more accurate than my VP9 either. It really underwhelmed me. At least for the time being.

After a short amount of time, I still wanted a .45. So, I started looking into other options. One of the main ones that struck my fancy was the Sig P220. I liked it's similarities to 1911s, but also it's updated design. I read some reviews, then went to my local store to see what they felt like in the hand. Once again, I was disappointed... until I came across the P220 Legion. The grips on that thing are the only grips on the 220s where I can actually reach all of the intended controls. Sadly, they don't have a P220 of any series available for rent at my local place.

Since I'm an HK guy, I've also researched and heard some great things about the HK 45. I have been reluctant to hold one since I've had a 1911 in mind. If I'll enjoy it more than a 1911, then I'm not opposed to another HK. I just don't want to fall into the fan-boy trap of swearing allegiance to a single manufacturer.

Coming back to a conclusion for all of this is that I shot a 1911 that my RO brought in a few weeks ago and it blew me away! I can't remember what it was (I can get that info in the next week or so), but he mentioned that it was a limited edition replica of what would have been used during WWII. The trigger was so light and crisp and the reset was almost nonexistent. He had me try it at the end of my range session. He put about a 3" circle on a sheet of paper, placed it at 10 yards, and told me to empty the mag while taking my time. Everything hit inside the circle. He then had me load another mag, told me to take my time, and place the target at 15 yards. Once again, everything hit inside the circle. That made me rethink my stance on 1911s. I might not be able to use them in the way that I would a practical defensive handgun (due to the controls), but it might be fun to have a dedicated range gun.

So, this is my very long winded way of saying that I'm thinking about a pistol in .45 ACP. I don't plan on making a purchase anytime soon, but I'd like to be ready for when I do. Any suggestions, recommendations, observations, critiques are welcome!

I have stainless z,I bee Custom II for about 17 years and aim more accurate with it than any of my other guns. I do love Glocks and have 3 of them but the sight picture on a Glock is completely different than on a 1911. IMHO, everyone should have a 1911 in his/her arsenal.

18E133B6-A306-475A-9089-A8C0CFA8D53A.jpeg

Your desire to own a .45 ACP is a good call. But....
There are pistols ranging from the diminutive Springfield XD series, S&W Shields, FN FNP/FNX series, Glocks, a couple DA/SA revolvers, the SIG line, and last but not least, the venerable 1911.
All bourbon is whiskey. All whiskey ain’t bourbon.
Same precept applies to the 1911 pistol...kind of. All 1911s don’t have to be .45s
First thing may be to figure out what you plan on using it for.
Daily carry of my .45 Shield is pretty easy. The SIG P220 and Ruger SR1911 takes more effort.
The P220 and 1911 are more accurate at longer range.
My Glock 30S fits quite well in the middle of the matrix.
Of the lot...only ONE has that 1911 personality.

Last edited:
Probably not the right choice for your first 1911, but I really like my Les Baer. Under 2 inch groups at 25 yards (from a rest), and so reliable it’s almost boring. I carried it for a long time until the desire for lighter weight overcame my appreciation of the 1911.

Greg

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
There are extended thumb safeties and slide release levers as well as extended mag releases available, may not be desirable on a carry gun but certainly useful on a range gun. You can also get thinner grip panels. I'm sure there is a way to make a 1911 work for you.

G21 SF user here. I like 45 ACP rounds. Any pistol I own or will own will be in 45 ACP.

When the zombiepocolypse happens, and **** hits the fan, you want all of your pistols firing the same caliber.

Sent from my Nokia 7.1 using Tapatalk

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
I've been toying with the idea of once again diversifying my gun selection and picking up a pistol chambered in .45 ACP.

As many of you could probably imagine, this came about by my interest in wanting a 1911 awhile back. After handling a number of them at my local gun shop, I discovered that my hands are terrible when it comes to the controls of a 1911. My thumb will not reach the mag release or slide stop/release without completely shifting my grip. My desire to get a 1911 started to fade after that realization.

I still had a desire to get a hammer fired pistol, so I started to check out some of Sig's P229s and P226s in 9mm. All of the 229s and most of the 226s felt the same as the 1911s to me. I just couldn't reach some of the controls comfortably. I finally came across a P226 Legion in 9mm and my local shop/range happened to have a SAO 226 Legion available for rent on their range. That thing was such a tack driver that I almost gave up on my VP9 after shooting the Legion. Luckily, Rob talked some sense into me and I put the 9mm Legion on the backburner.

Fast-forward to a few months later when I'm once again thinking about getting a pistol that's chambered in .45. My buddy has had a Glock 21 for years and kept on talking about going shooting. One of his excuses why we would never go is that he didn't have much ammo. So, I picked up a couple of boxes in .45 in anticipation that we'd shoot his Glock. After some time and multiple excuses why he couldn't make it to the range, I decided to rent a pistol at my range and use up those .45 rounds. I figured what the heck, and decided to try a 1911 to see what all of the fuss was about. My range only had a Sig TACOPS and a Springfield Loaded (I can't remember the specific model). The guys around in the shop at the time preferred the Sig, so I went with that one. I did not find it to be a bad gun, but I just didn't find it to be too impressive. The same problem that I've always had with the controls annoyed me, but I tried to look past that. The recoil was far more manageable than I expected. I just didn't think it was a comfortable gun. It wasn't any more accurate than my VP9 either. It really underwhelmed me. At least for the time being.

After a short amount of time, I still wanted a .45. So, I started looking into other options. One of the main ones that struck my fancy was the Sig P220. I liked it's similarities to 1911s, but also it's updated design. I read some reviews, then went to my local store to see what they felt like in the hand. Once again, I was disappointed... until I came across the P220 Legion. The grips on that thing are the only grips on the 220s where I can actually reach all of the intended controls. Sadly, they don't have a P220 of any series available for rent at my local place.

Since I'm an HK guy, I've also researched and heard some great things about the HK 45. I have been reluctant to hold one since I've had a 1911 in mind. If I'll enjoy it more than a 1911, then I'm not opposed to another HK. I just don't want to fall into the fan-boy trap of swearing allegiance to a single manufacturer.

Coming back to a conclusion for all of this is that I shot a 1911 that my RO brought in a few weeks ago and it blew me away! I can't remember what it was (I can get that info in the next week or so), but he mentioned that it was a limited edition replica of what would have been used during WWII. The trigger was so light and crisp and the reset was almost nonexistent. He had me try it at the end of my range session. He put about a 3" circle on a sheet of paper, placed it at 10 yards, and told me to empty the mag while taking my time. Everything hit inside the circle. He then had me load another mag, told me to take my time, and place the target at 15 yards. Once again, everything hit inside the circle. That made me rethink my stance on 1911s. I might not be able to use them in the way that I would a practical defensive handgun (due to the controls), but it might be fun to have a dedicated range gun.

So, this is my very long winded way of saying that I'm thinking about a pistol in .45 ACP. I don't plan on making a purchase anytime soon, but I'd like to be ready for when I do. Any suggestions, recommendations, observations, critiques are welcome!

Excellent read Erik, I really enjoyed reading this. Thanks for taking the time of typing this out in such detail.

You just described EXACTLY where I’m at. I have claimed to be a Glock fanboy for years. Mainly because I have worked with them over a daily basis and I know first hand their capabilities in a gunfight.

But I mainly claim Glock fanboy status, because I enjoy trolling all the Glock haters out there. But the honest truth of the matter is, I love all firearms and am a fanboy of firearms and shooting in general.

I think everyone is capable of liking whatever their really good at, whatever the subject matter. I like Glocks because I have spent lots of time getting really good with them over the years. I think it’s only natural, when we get really good and familiar with one thing, we naturally tend to not like anything else that’s similar, if it doesn’t feel as similar as what we spent all the time on getting good at.

I have a Glock 30 in .45. But I want to experience personally for myself, the love of owning the classic 1911 that I read from others and also that I have read from history.

I have shot many the 1911 over the years, and also have short thumbs like you, which prevents me from keeping a muzzle forward hold, while I’m ejecting the magazine.

But while I don’t have that problem with a Glock, I still bend my elbow, bringing my Glock towards my chest in a 45 degree hold, and while keeping my eyes on the muzzle and down range, eject the magazine .

Not because I can’t reach the magazine release on my Glock without changing my grip, but only because I tactically like it better to change my grip while I reload so I train that way.

I absolutely love Glock and have over a twenty year working relationship with it. But when I retire, my personal goals in the shooting hobby is to be one day, as good and efficient with a revolver and a single action, whether it’s the 1911 or the High Power as I am with a Glock. If I have to turn the gun to reach the magazine release? Then so be it.

Over the last 8 years of being on B&B, I have conquered DE, SE, straight Amd Shavette shaving. I have also mastered keeping a pipe lit. Do you realize how incredibly hard it is to keep a pipe lit?

If I have to personally pay a visit to @simon1, @nortac and @Acmemfg, I will get as good with a revolver, a 1911 and a High Power, as I am with a Glock or any other modern semi-auto.

And while you are mentioning you are an HK guy, if you haven’t shot the HK USP Compact, you should. My son owns one and it is a pretty special shooting gun imo.

Last edited:

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
G21 SF user here. I like 45 ACP rounds. Any pistol I own or will own will be in 45 ACP.

When the zombiepocolypse happens, and **** hits the fan, you want all of your pistols firing the same caliber.

Sent from my Nokia 7.1 using Tapatalk

While owning all NATO caliber guns 9mm/.556 does make a lot of sense for the Zombie Apocalypse or SHFT or TEOTWAWKI, that can/will not ever be a reality for us true gun lovers. :)

Erik, I think you've already made up your mind on what you'll get. I know you tried a PPQ before you decided on the VP9.

If you're a fan of this guy, he's pretty "up" on the Walther PPQ in .45.

Give it a whirl.

Don

I love shooting cast out of my 1911. I use the original GI load of 5gr of Bullseye behind any cast bullet up to 230gr. (A friend gave me an 8lb keg of bullseye for some machining I did for him).
My regular bullet is the Lee 200gr truncated cone with old school alox/beeswax lube. Barrel leading is non-existant.
The bullseye/lube combination makes for a dirty gun after a range session though. But that's half the fun! Aromatherapy...

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
I have short thumbs myself and have to adjust my grip to work the mag release on most semi-autos. But as @OkieStubble says, I train that way. No biggie. I'll never win any speed shooting contests but I can drop and seat a magazine and get back on target fast enough to stay in a gunfight.

Get a 1911 you won't regret it, heck get a few. I can't release the slide with my right hand thumb but I just use my support hand thumb to drop the slide lock.

I've owned HKs and Sigs as well both are very nice, but I never really warmed up to the recoil impulse of either. Your best bet is to find a range and test fire every handgun you are considering. Because really that is the only way you are going to find the one that best suits your needs.

Obligatory 1911 pictures to help sway your decision........
proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

9C2E1E72-A9D4-4EF8-A8E9-4BD1B03C50A5.jpeg
One thing about a Glock. They can be pretty accurate right out of the box.
This is 10 rounds in about 6 seconds. G30S.
If I recall, from 7 yards

Claudel Xerxes

Staff member
I have stainless z,I bee Custom II for about 17 years and aim more accurate with it than any of my other guns. I do love Glocks and have 3 of them but the sight picture on a Glock is completely different than on a 1911. IMHO, everyone should have a 1911 in his/her arsenal.

That's what I'm starting to realize.

View attachment 940066
Your desire to own a .45 ACP is a good call. But....
There are pistols ranging from the diminutive Springfield XD series, S&W Shields, FN FNP/FNX series, Glocks, a couple DA/SA revolvers, the SIG line, and last but not least, the venerable 1911.
All bourbon is whiskey. All whiskey ain’t bourbon.
Same precept applies to the 1911 pistol...kind of. All 1911s don’t have to be .45s
First thing may be to figure out what you plan on using it for.
Daily carry of my .45 Shield is pretty easy. The SIG P220 and Ruger SR1911 takes more effort.
The P220 and 1911 are more accurate at longer range.
My Glock 30S fits quite well in the middle of the matrix.
Of the lot...only ONE has that 1911 personality.

I mentioned in the OP that it would probably just be a range gun. Since I already have 2 carry pistols and a full-size "combat" pistol, this would just be for the enjoyment of shooting. Not to mention, I don't plan on throwing tons of rounds downrange regularly with a .45. At least, not like I do with my 9mms. So, after an initial break-in period, I'll likely just fire off a box of ammo every couple to few times I visit the range.

Oh good Lord...are you a lost cause?

img_0012-2-jpg.853872

Beautiful setup, Mike! I have checked out a Springfield EMP 9mm, and it fit my hand, but if I got a 1911, then I'd prefer a 5" barrel. I might settle for a 4' or 4.25', but for right now, I'm leaning toward a 5".

Probably not the right choice for your first 1911, but I really like my Les Baer. Under 2 inch groups at 25 yards (from a rest), and so reliable it’s almost boring. I carried it for a long time until the desire for lighter weight overcame my appreciation of the 1911.

Greg

I've heard many good things about Les Baers, but it's a bit costly for me at this point.

There are extended thumb safeties and slide release levers as well as extended mag releases available, may not be desirable on a carry gun but certainly useful on a range gun. You can also get thinner grip panels. I'm sure there is a way to make a 1911 work for you.

I agree. Like some of the guys have mentioned, I might just need to shift my grip or use my off hand to work the controls.

Try a Glock 21SF at your range.

I'll have to see if one is available. If so, then I'll do just that.

Most of my pistols are 9mm, so a .45 to me would just be for the fun of it and the sake of having something different.

Claudel Xerxes

Staff member
Excellent read Erik, I really enjoyed reading this. Thanks for taking the time of typing this out in such detail.

My pleasure! I just thought it'd be good for you guys to know my experience and where I was coming from.

I think it’s only natural, when we get really good and familiar with one thing, we naturally tend to not like anything else that’s similar, if it doesn’t feel as similar as what we spent all the time on getting good at.

Very well said! Excellent point.

I have shot many the 1911 over the years, and also have short thumbs like you, which prevents me from keeping a muzzle forward hold, while I’m ejecting the magazine.

I didn't realize how common it was to not be able to reach the controls with one hand.

But while I don’t have that problem with a Glock, I still bend my elbow, bringing my Glock towards my chest in a 45 degree hold, and while keeping my eyes on the muzzle and down range, eject the magazine .

Not because I can’t reach the magazine release on my Glock without changing my grip, but only because I tactically like it better to change my grip while I reload so I train that way.

I absolutely love Glock and have over a twenty year working relationship with it. But when I retire, my personal goals in the shooting hobby is to be one day, as good and efficient with a revolver and a single action, whether it’s the 1911 or the High Power as I am with a Glock. If I have to turn the gun to reach the magazine release? Then so be it.

Now that I think about it, I do have to slightly, ever so slightly, shift my grip on my P365 as well. With my HKs, I use the middle finger of my dominant hand to engage the mag paddle, which allows me to do so without shifting my grip on either hands.

Over the last 8 years of being on B&B, I have conquered DE, SE, straight Amd Shavette shaving. I have also mastered keeping a pipe lit. Do you realize how incredibly hard it is to keep a pipe lit?

I actually lucked out quite a bit when it came to getting a feel for lighting, puffing, and tamping. :001_smile After a while, I stopped caring if I had to relight he pipe or not. I hear you though.

And while you are mentioning you are an HK guy, if you haven’t shot the HK USP Compact, you should. My son owns one and it is a pretty special shooting gun imo.

I've heard that the USPs are huge guns. I'll definitely take a look the next time I'm in my local shop.

Erik, I think you've already made up your mind on what you'll get. I know you tried a PPQ before you decided on the VP9.

If you're a fan of this guy, he's pretty "up" on the Walther PPQ in .45.

Give it a whirl.

Don

Thanks, Don. I'll definitely consider the PPQ. I was incredibly close to buying one instead of my VP9. Shooting it in .45 might just convince me.

Top Bottom