What's new

Easiest pistol to operate/strip/clean for women

What would you recommend if you add to the original post that the woman has small hands and is left handed?
If she has to fiddle with anything, it isn't for her. No slide racking, misfires, jams, safety switch, magazine, etc. Squeeze-BANG! No BANG? Squeeze again.
S&W Model 36 1973.JPG

Smith and Wesson Model 36

Last edited:

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
Just to throw in an outlier.

Beretta has quite a few models that incorporate a "Tip Up barrel". In addition to loading the gun in the conventional semi-automatic ways you can let the barrel tip up and insert a round directly in the chamber.

If you get a chance see if you can give one a try. They are available IIRC in most all the calibers and in several sizes from the tiny Bobcat and Tomcats up through at least the 80 series frames.
Are these still being manufactured?

Don't ask men what kind of handgun a woman should carry/use. Ask the woman to handle a bunch of them and pick the ones that feel the best to her. Then beg, borrow, rent, etc. some range time with her top choices and refine the list down to one or two choices.

My wife picks her own guns and likes a few of mine. She likes medium frame revolvers and absolutely hates J frames and the like. She carries an autoloader and likes 9mm over .45. She's 4'6" tall and can handle a S&W N frame with S&W target stocks on it. She's never volunteered to shoot any full house .44 magnums though. :( My mom on the other hand prefers revolvers and carries a S&W 642....although I think she's carrying a single stack 9mm more now.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
Don't ask men what kind of handgun a woman should carry/use. Ask the woman to handle a bunch of them and pick the ones that feel the best to her. Then beg, borrow, rent, etc. some range time with her top choices and refine the list down to one or two choices.

My wife picks her own guns and likes a few of mine. She likes medium frame revolvers and absolutely hates J frames and the like. She carries an autoloader and likes 9mm over .45. She's 4'6" tall and can handle a S&W N frame with S&W target stocks on it. She's never volunteered to shoot any full house .44 magnums though. :( My mom on the other hand prefers revolvers and carries a S&W 642....although I think she's carrying a single stack 9mm more now.
There's a reason I call my wife the War Department, lol. She knows what she likes to shoot, has arthritis in her hands, prefers semi autos to revolvers. I love revolvers. Opposites attract, I suppose. I will NEVER buy her a gun.

I'm surprised my wife let me even touch her daily, let alone take a pic. of it. BTW: She sat and watched me take a pic. of it and immediately took it back. I think she only did so was perhaps to help another woman in her decision process. Have a safe weekend all.
DSCI0497.JPG

Top Bottom