What's new

Looking for a lightly (essential oil) scented hard soap without an intense tallow smell

Hi,

I bought samples of several of Stirlings' essential oil scented hard soaps (I tend to find synthetic frangraces overwhelming, I am sensitive to strong smells in general). I wasn't really a fan of any of them. I also purchased a full size container of Stirling Naked & Smooth, which I have been using. However, I'm not a fan of the smell of (what I suspect is) the tallow.

I'm interested in hard soaps due to the economy/value.

I'm thinking about trying Maggard Razors 'Limes and Bergamot' shave soap. Does the scent mask the tallow smell very much for this soap? How does it compare to Stirling Naked & Smooth, tallow smell wise?

I'd be open to trying a vegan hard soap too, if you have any suggestions.

Thanks!

Mühle Shavecare Shaving Soaps. Very light fragrances, good for sensitive skin. It's classified as vegan on their site, so probably no tallow there.

They may be small for you: one puck is 65 g, with a diameter of 61 mm. But the pucks fit easily in a shaving bowl. The soaps are also available in their own reusable porcelain bowl for loading. Alternatively, Mühle sells a stainless steel bowl in which the puck fits perfectly. A replacement puck costs about $ 8 and will last 6 months and more. I now use the stainless steel bowl for blooming and then transfer the soap to my scuttle for lathering and loading. Before I loaded from the stainless bowl, which often was a bit of a mess. This new routine works like a charm every time, creating a very rich and dense lather which feels great on the skin.

I'm quite sensitive to certain ingredients (certain fragrances, lanolin), and I have never had any issues with Mühle soaps. Available fragrances are Aloe Vera, Sandalwood, Sea Buckthorn, and Grapefruit & Mint. None are very dominant or long lasting, they are pleasant nonetheless. My very first shaving soap was the Aloe Vera and I have been working for over a year on Grapefruit & Mint. I still have Sea Buckthorn and Sandalwood in the drawer. I can't wait to try them out.

I have heard that Mühle shaving soaps are manufactured by Speick, but I'm not sure about that. They are fantastic soaps at a fair price lasting for many months.

Mühle Shavecare Shaving Soaps. Very light fragrances, good for sensitive skin. It's classified as vegan on their site, so probably no tallow there.

They may be small for you: one puck is 65 g, with a diameter of 61 mm. But the pucks fit easily in a shaving bowl. The soaps are also available in their own reusable porcelain bowl for loading. Alternatively, Mühle sells a stainless steel bowl in which the puck fits perfectly. A replacement puck costs about $ 8 and will last 6 months and more. I now use the stainless steel bowl for blooming and then transfer the soap to my scuttle for lathering and loading. Before I loaded from the stainless bowl, which often was a bit of a mess. This new routine works like a charm every time, creating a very rich and dense lather which feels great on the skin.

I'm quite sensitive to certain ingredients (certain fragrances, lanolin), and I have never had any issues with Mühle soaps. Available fragrances are Aloe Vera, Sandalwood, Sea Buckthorn, and Grapefruit & Mint. None are very dominant or long lasting, they are pleasant nonetheless. My very first shaving soap was the Aloe Vera and I have been working for over a year on Grapefruit & Mint. I still have Sea Buckthorn and Sandalwood in the drawer. I can't wait to try them out.

I have heard that Mühle shaving soaps are manufactured by Speick, but I'm not sure about that. They are fantastic soaps at a fair price lasting for many months.
Thankyou so much for that info. I will look into them!

I'm thinking about trying Maggard Razors 'Limes and Bergamot' shave soap. Does the scent mask the tallow smell very much for this soap?

I have a samples of Maggard’s Lime and Bergamot, and their London Barbershop. Scent of both are great with no hint of tallow scent, and make a nice creamy lather. I like them so much I also picked up a bottle of each of their corresponding Maggard‘s non-alcohol/witch hazel tonic. The London Barbershop is so nice that I will likely pick up their EDT.

Top Bottom