What's new

Unscented Stirling v. Canada shootout

As I have a strong negative reaction to some (not all) scented soaps, I like to try various brands of the unscented variety. For the past few months, I have been shaving alternately with two: Stirling Naked and Smooth, an unscented beef tallow and lanolin formula, and Canada, a vegan formula. Both come in nice hard plastic, screw-top jars, "approximately" 5.8 ounces for Stirling, 175 grams or 6.17 ounces for Canada. The Stirling is now almost done, and I have Stirling Beeswax on the shelf to take its place. The Canada is by my estimate less than a quarter finished, so there will be plenty left to compare it with the Beeswax.

In their thick and pasty "proto-lather" form, there is an obvious difference in texture and feel between the two that I have found in other comparisons between tallow and non-tallow soaps. The tallow soap has a thicker, more "ductile" consistency. However, once a few drops of water are mixed in each to produce the final lather, the difference is much less apparent. I wouldn't want to try to pick it out in a blind test. There is a slight difference in color that I probably would be able to pick out.

Each has its own distinctive but very slight and acceptable smell, unlike some unscented soaps that have an unpleasantly strong chemical smell. This too I could pick out in a blind test, but again, it is very slight.

Both give me great shaves. The Stirling tends to dry out in the long run, especially if it isn't used daily. But adding a few drops of water easily takes care of that. Canada lathers very fast, amazingly fast, really. Good if you're in a hurry to get out in the morning.

The biggest difference between the two in my opinion is economy. If you pay full price for both, Canada is far more economical to use in terms of cost per shave. I was surprised at the magnitude of the difference. Those who strongly prefer tallow to non-tallow shaving soap will almost surely prefer the Stirling, though I found the difference in actual shaving results to be minimal or non-existent.

In short, both are good options if you want to shave with unscented soap.

As I have a strong negative reaction to some (not all) scented soaps, I like to try various brands of the unscented variety. For the past few months, I have been shaving alternately with two: Stirling Naked and Smooth, an unscented beef tallow and lanolin formula, and Canada, a vegan formula. Both come in nice hard plastic, screw-top jars, "approximately" 5.8 ounces for Stirling, 175 grams or 6.17 ounces for Canada. The Stirling is now almost done, and I have Stirling Beeswax on the shelf to take its place. The Canada is by my estimate less than a quarter finished, so there will be plenty left to compare it with the Beeswax.

In their thick and pasty "proto-lather" form, there is an obvious difference in texture and feel between the two that I have found in other comparisons between tallow and non-tallow soaps. The tallow soap has a thicker, more "ductile" consistency. However, once a few drops of water are mixed in each to produce the final lather, the difference is much less apparent. I wouldn't want to try to pick it out in a blind test. There is a slight difference in color that I probably would be able to pick out.

Each has its own distinctive but very slight and acceptable smell, unlike some unscented soaps that have an unpleasantly strong chemical smell. This too I could pick out in a blind test, but again, it is very slight.

Both give me great shaves. The Stirling tends to dry out in the long run, especially if it isn't used daily. But adding a few drops of water easily takes care of that. Canada lathers very fast, amazingly fast, really. Good if you're in a hurry to get out in the morning.

The biggest difference between the two in my opinion is economy. If you pay full price for both, Canada is far more economical to use in terms of cost per shave. I was surprised at the magnitude of the difference. Those who strongly prefer tallow to non-tallow shaving soap will almost surely prefer the Stirling, though I found the difference in actual shaving results to be minimal or non-existent.

In short, both are good options if you want to shave with unscented soap.
Canada Shaving Soap is fantastic! My tub is long gone but I’ll buy another one eventually. I’m a nerd about tracking my shaves, and I got 171 shaves (a mix of head and face shaves) from my tub.

Since you like unscented soaps, be sure to check out Brotherhood of Unscented Gentlemen Shavers

Thanks for the comparison.

Have you tried Stirling's sheep-tallow base?

1696254697557.png

I've found it richer, more nourishing than their beef-based soaps. Might not be material to your purposes, of course, and it doesn't change your economic argument . . . unless greater value is perceived.
---

Well, wait: is this the comparison soap?

1696255701571.png

Price is 41 (CAD, presumably), about 30 USD, vs. about 15 USD for the Stirlings. Is the economy based on needing much less CANADA soap to accomplish a similar shave?

Last edited:

View attachment 1726505

I've found it richer, more nourishing than their beef-based soaps. Might not be material to your purposes, of course, and it doesn't change your economic argument . . . unless greater value is perceived.
---

View attachment 1726513

Price is 41 (CAD, presumably), about 30 USD, vs. about 15 USD for the Stirlings. Is the economy based on needing much less CANADA soap to accomplish a similar shave?
Good points raised... will be good to get a direct user compare... think also the ingredient composition could also be a perceived difference... vegan approach in one

One could compare WSP soap Rustic base, with the performance of Canada Shaving
Is the combination wrong?
Leaving aside the "unscented" topic, I'm talking about performance and post-shave
I tried WSP Rustic. It's a good product, but nowhere near as low as Canada in price per shave,

View attachment 1726505

---

View attachment 1726513

No, not really. You just get a lot more lather for the money with Canada. However, the Stirling Naked and Smooth was a first-rate product. I don't know how the scented ones are, but I can't see how anyone who wants tallow-based shaving soap wouldn't be happy with Stirling. The next Stirling soap for me will be the Beeswax. Then maybe Sheep, but that's a long way off.

I tried WSP Rustic. It's a good product, but nowhere near as low as Canada in price per shave,
Mine was a consideration since I tried WSP Rustic and I wanted to know if the product is similar in quality to Canada Shave
As for the price...maybe for you who are in the USA but for me who am in Europe taken from Maggard WSP it costs a lot less
than Canada shave "shipping costs I mean"

Last edited:

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
I think the Stirling Beeswax Unscented and the Canada Shaving Soap are pretty equal, as far as performance, for me, at least. Canada Shaving Soap has been my most used product since I bought it last year, sometime. I think I have a 1/3 left of the first tub. Now, I don't shave every day so I don't know how long it will last for daily shavers.

As I've mentioned before, I wait for it to be in stock on Amazon (not an option for those who are not in the US, unfortunately). I don't pay shipping that way and the price is the same as from them direct but with a steep shipping charge. I have two unopened tubs in waiting... I think that much of it.

I have a few other unscented soaps that are also excellent, but I don't think I've found any of them to be better than Canada Shaving Soap... equal? yes... but not better.

Differences between Stirling Sheep and Stirling Unscented with Beeswax?
Unscented with Beeswax has no lanolin, contains beeswax and is made with beef-tallow, Sheep has lanolin, has no beeswax and is made with sheep tallow, obviously. UWB has no real aroma, other than "soap", to my nose. Sheep has a very mild, but still noticeable-to-me aroma. Performance wise they're both excellent, in my experience, with any differences between them being rather subtle. The lather I get from Sheep (or any mutton-tallow soap (e.g. Varen)) is a little denser, or a little creamier maybe? It's a rather difficult thing to describe. If I had to choose which one shaves better, I'd have say something made with sheep tallow. Some people swear up and down the Stirling mutton tallow soaps are significantly better, but in my experience, it's closer to splitting hairs. I find there is a more significant difference between UWB and beef tallow soaps than I do between beef tallow and mutton tallow soaps. But that's me.

Unscented with Beeswax has no lanolin, contains beeswax and is made with beef-tallow, Sheep has lanolin, has no beeswax and is made with sheep tallow, obviously. UWB has no real aroma, other than "soap", to my nose. Sheep has a very mild, but still noticeable-to-me aroma. Performance wise they're both excellent, in my experience, with any differences between them being rather subtle. The lather I get from Sheep (or any mutton-tallow soap (e.g. Varen)) is a little denser, or a little creamier maybe? It's a rather difficult thing to describe. If I had to choose which one shaves better, I'd have say something made with sheep tallow. Some people swear up and down the Stirling mutton tallow soaps are significantly better, but in my experience, it's closer to splitting hairs. I find there is a more significant difference between UWB and beef tallow soaps than I do between beef tallow and mutton tallow soaps. But that's me.
Thanks for your opinion Sir
It was just my curiosity, since later on I want to buy either Sheep or UWB
But I'm biased, I love Haslinger Schafmilch so I think I'll get Sheep

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
I got my first tub of Canada Shaving Soap in April of 2022. I'm also not an every day shaver but I use Canada Shaving Soap for 80% of my shaves or more. I have around 1/4 left of my first one.... but I just looked on Amazon... I bought 3 backup tubs. I thought it was only two... I'm going to look right now to see where I stored that 4th one. LOL brb.

Edit: All three of them are safely under my side of the double sink base in a clear plastic Useful Box: two unboxed... the other one on its own.

Last edited:
Canada Shave Soap is my favorite unscented I've tried. It might be the one to convert me to a full-time face latherer! It loads very quickly, and I don't have to go back to the puck to avoid razor-skippage.

I can't say the same about Stirling Sheep. I preferred Naked & Smooth to Sheep, but it could just be because I hadn't tried other fine soaps at time of use. Naked & Smooth was a nice step above the shave cream I'd used prior, but Sheep falls short of MdC and CSS lathers.

Top Bottom