What's new

Unscented Stirling v. Canada shootout

OK, here's another update on the Cella Bio drying experiment after almost two months.

I have dried about 1.5 jars of the Cella Bio in two containers, left open in a warm place. The soap texture is very firm now. After drying, it has lost over 1/3 of its volume from water loss.

The scent is now really weak, much less than Mitchell's Woof Fat, for example. The "cologne" elements seem to be gone. What is left is a very mild scent that reminds me of coconut oil. I doubt anyone would be bothered by this scent, unless they wanted a totally unscented soap.

I'll post another update with shaving results soon.

OK, here's an update on the soap performance after using the dried Cella Extra Extra Bio soap for several shaves.

Performance seems about the same as the original soap (very good). The main difference I noticed is slightly longer loading time to charge the brush. More water is required to build the lather. Residual slickness was quite good, touch-ups could be done just using a little extra water applied by hand.

When water was added to the dried soap, a bit of the soap scent came back, but very little. It was a clean, soapy scent with just a hint of the original woody notes, but no "cologne" notes.

If you like the performance of Cella Extra Extra Bio, but would prefer something less strongly scented, then drying the soap in an open container in a warm place for a couple of months is worth trying. You will have a soap with a very firm texture that will have lost about 1/3 of its original volume. The scent will be so mild to be negligible.

This soap cost me around $8 for two 150g tubs (on sale from Connaught in the UK). So, the net cost for about 200g of the dried soap was $8. It is a very clean formula with a short ingredient list.

Ingredients: Aqua (Water), Stearic Acid, Cocos Nucifera (Coconut) Oil, Potassium Hydroxide, Glycerin, Myristic Acid, Sodium Hydroxide, Potassium Carbonate, Aloe Barbadensis Leaf Extract, Olea Europaea (Olive) Fruit Oil, Bambusa Vulgaris (Bamboo) Leaf/stem Extract, Bisabolol, Parfum (Fragrance)

Last edited:
Top Bottom