What's new

Down the .32 rabbit-hole we go ...

Yes I have the same Marlin in .32-20 and a Ruger Blackhawk that has a .32-20 cylinder. I like shooting the .32-20, but reloading it is a bit tedious, the cases are easily crushed when bullet seating.

I also have a Colt DA revolver in .32-20, but it has some cylinder alignment issues and I have never shot it. Someday I might get around to correcting the problem(s).
Been there and done that with the cases. Have to be super careful with them. A lot like .22 Hornet.

Ad Astra

The Instigator
Can't wait to start loading 32 S&WL, projos should be here shortly. Want a mold, but going around with which ... much more limited selection in .313.

Keith didn't make a SWC mold design for 32, sadly ... need one, and a true wadcutter too. The traditional FTRN is kinda meh ...

Have some 32 ACP Federal Hydrashoks, 65 gr, 950 fps I should try. Supposed to expand in an auto. Can get 950 with the 97 grain Fiocchi 32 S&WL.

Hm, have read 32 ACP is smaller than 32 S&WL. Not so, though it's hairsplitting. 32 ACP: .3125 (7.94mm), 32 S&WL: .312 (7.9mm). So accuracy should be there, albeit with a tad higher pressure. Not safe in old 32s, likely fine all day in the modern 1970s-made H&R. Saw no signs of problems with the brass when I fired the S&B FMJ 32s.

AA

Last edited:

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"

Ad Astra

The Instigator

Thanks! I've used MBC's .452 Keith-style, great product. Believe the 78 grainers I have coming are MBC, via Midway. I have ordered directly from them before.

Need a sizing/lube kit too, as my go-to, Lee, offers their 311 for this. Nah! I need a true .313.

AA

Ad Astra

The Instigator
Had to determine if I had the right reload recipe for 32 S&WL, so hit the range this a.m.

xcbb.jpg

Brought Glock 45 too for actually hitting things. Amazing the comparision between the two rounds. the diminutive 32 and the rather large 45 ACP:

balas.jpg

cxvv.jpg

Two grains of Red Dot over a 78 grain Hitek coated RN seems to work. Can be more generous perhaps. Did see some unburned powder and fairly dirty cases though.

AA

Ad Astra

The Instigator
One of my most satisfying ebay finds was a NOS set of Pachmeyer grips for my H&R model 733.

View attachment 1789451
Made a fun gun even more fun. I didn't fall into the .32 rabbit hole, I jumped in.
I actually carry this from time to time, with SWCs.

I had no idea they made those! Really enjoying this little cheapie, but for the miserable grips.

MANY thanks. I saved this photo!

AA

jar_

Too Fugly For Free.
I had no idea they made those! Really enjoying this little cheapie, but for the miserable grips.

MANY thanks. I saved this photo!

AA
We have the beginnings of an H&R 32 S&W Long faction it seems. And yes, the grips are not quite the best.

732-01a.jpg

But now we need to know just which Pachy model fits.

Ad Astra

The Instigator
We have the beginnings of an H&R 32 S&W Long faction it seems. And yes, the grips are not quite the best.

View attachment 1789491

🤔 And if it's long gone, perhaps J-frame or another size can be adapted. Rubber inside Pachys cuts easily, and though I'm used to this thing trapping a knuckle, I'd like more than two fingers on it.

😜 Why all this work for a $100 gun that shoots a $44 box of shells? ($6 if you cast/reload). And is fairly weak and indeed, a bit fugly? Ballistics. 32 is very, very interesting ballistically. 😎 Now, let's see... How can I shoot my . 313 Mosin, Arisaka or SMLE slugs out of 327 Fed... Or a 22 slug in a 30-cal sabot. Hmm. That might even work in 32 S&WL for some real zip. Where's that can of Trail Boss?

AA

Last edited:

View attachment 1789491

The model I bought was made for the H&R 632/633/732/733 and is long out of production. I recall reading that Pachmayr's S&W J frame grips or their Detective Special grips can be adapted, but not without some play in the fit. I'll look for the package to see if there's a model number.

Check eBay and the gun auction sites for the proper ones, they pop up from time to time. A set sold last December on ebay.

Ad Astra

The Instigator
The model I bought was made for the H&R 632/633/732/733 and is long out of production. I recall reading that Pachmayr's S&W J frame grips or their Detective Special grips can be adapted, but not without some play in the fit. I'll look for the package to see if there's a model number.

Check eBay and the gun auction sites for the proper ones, they pop up from time to time. A set sold last December on ebay.
Thanks so much!

AA

Those .32s, both S&W and S&W Long, could be deadly. Started with LAPD in 1971 and the most commonly carried firearm in the South End was a .32. Some were junk, but surprisingly, some were quality pistols. We had more shootings in those days and a cylinder full of lead did in more than one local.

Ad Astra

The Instigator
:lol: Internet, let me present to you - for the first time seen on ANY forum - the Harrington & Ruger SP-32:

SP-32.jpg

I like no-cost solutions for $100-gift pistols! Bad enough I had to buy another set of dies, lol.

Of course I HAD SP-101 factory grips - some like them, I put Hogues on mine. I was digging thru the box o pistol parts, looking for a pair of Colt DS grips, saw this and said, let's see.

Does it fit perfect? Of course not. But rubber grips for this gun are hen's teeth. Now it feels GREAT in hand - oddly, just like an SP-101 - and it doesn't look like the year is 1890 anymore. Now it's just a bit fugly, which ... all H&R's are ...

You can see where the frame swells the rubber a bit in front, but it helps the grip! Even the horrible DA pull feels easier now.

The panels are just wedged in there, can't run a screw through, but this is a slip-on monogrip block of rubber, for the few of you that don't already own an SP-101. The panels are decorative. 32 has no recoil to speak of and they're not going to pop off while shooting ... though if anybody has attachment ideas, let's hear 'em!

Comments and insults welcome. :001_tongu

AA

Last edited:

jar_

Too Fugly For Free.
:lol: Internet, let me present to you - for the first time seen on ANY forum - the Harrington & Ruger SP-32:

View attachment 1797214

I like no-cost solutions for $100-gift pistols! Bad enough I had to buy another set of dies, lol.

Of course I HAD SP-101 factory grips - some like them, I put Hogues on mine. I was digging thru the box o pistol parts, looking for a pair of Colt DS grips, saw this and said, let's see.

Does it fit perfect? Of course not. But rubber grips for this gun are hen's teeth. Now it feels GREAT in hand - oddly, just like an SP-101 - and it doesn't look like the year is 1890 anymore. Now it's just a bit fugly, which ... all H&R's are ...

You can see where the frame swells the rubber a bit in front, but it helps the grip! Even the horrible DA pull feels easier now.

The panels are just wedged in there, can't run a screw through, but this is a slip-on monogrip block of rubber, for the few of you that don't already own an SP-101. The panels are decorative. 32 has no recoil to speak of and they're not going to pop off while shooting ... though if anybody has attachment ideas, let's hear 'em!

Comments and insults welcome. :001_tongu

AA
The Russian Judge gave it a "Nyet" but Bubba scored it "Ten Thumbs Up"

Ad Astra

The Instigator
🤔 Rest assured no milsurps were refinished, or P38s/Lugers chromed during the filming of this video...Remember, I know you have the H&R Pachmayr grips in YOUR ebay saved search list, too. It's gonna take a while to find those... I swear it's not terrible. The odd frame shape comes through as the finger supports this desperately needs. My fingers can't fit behind the guard, but now it feels like putting on a pair of slippers. Ahhhhh.

IMG_20240216_133330_edit_1708113731018.jpg

Signed, the AntiBubba

Last edited:

Ad Astra

The Instigator
Um. There was a very simple solution ... Hogue grip sleeve, from that same box-O-parts:

dsfdf.jpg

dsfd.jpg

AA

Top Bottom