What's new

Show us Your .32 cal. Revolvers

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
We may already have a thread like this and I have certainly commented in other threads on the same topic. I have two Ruger single actions in .32 H&R mag., one with an additional .32-20 cylinder. Also have an old Colt DA in .32-20 that I have not shot yet due to cylinder timing issues. I think my next handgun may be a Ruger SP101 in .327 Federal Magnum. I like the versatility of using various .32 S&W, .32 S&W long, .32 H&R mag and .327 Fed. mag. rounds in the same gun. So what .32s do you shoot?

Same one featured in a thread a few weeks ago - Single Seven.
Single Seven left.jpg

The more I shoot it, the better I like it! The SP-101 is a solid option, came close to one of those before I grabbed this, I just have a thing for single actions.

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
Do you handload for it and do you shoot any of the lesser .32s through it?

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
9BD47CFC-DD45-479D-8DD4-5799BDE64AB6.jpeg

My battery of .32s;
Ruger Blackhawk Convertible .32 H&R mag.and .32-20 Winchester top.
Ruger Single Six "Store Keeper" with faux case hardened frame .32 H&R mag.
Colt Army Special .32-20 Winchester.

Last edited:

jar_

Too Fugly For Free.
Depends on the beauty in question.

The Hopkins & Allen a 32 S&W Short but it is over 100 years old.
The Harrington & Richardson a 32 S&W Long but it's a half century old.
The 32-20 is about the same performance level as modern 32 H&R Magnum or 32 Federal and the cartridge dates from the 1880s.

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
The .327 Federal magnum is the latest and most powerful, followed by the .32 H&R magnum. The .32-20 falls in between the above.

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
I've shot a few .32 S&W and a few .32 S&W longs, but not enough to fully evaluate them. The longs are a well known target round and are probably worth pursuing further, not so sure of the usefulness of the .32 S&W in modern firearms, probably more suited to use in older vintage guns.

Very cool. I had never heard of 327 federal magnum, or most of the others. If the cylinder allows for the length, can you shoot the 327 out of any 32 revolver or is it too hot for older guns?

jar_

Too Fugly For Free.
Very cool. I had never heard of 327 federal magnum, or most of the others. If the cylinder allows for the length, can you shoot the 327 out of any 32 revolver or is it too hot for older guns?
Way too hot.

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
What is the most powerful of the mentioned round that these beauties can shoot?

There is a lot of variability in the many loads available in .32-20, .32 H&R and .327 FM. Some of the .32-20 and .32 H&R loads are "loaded down" for Cowboy Action Shooting, where others are loaded much more stoutly for self defense or hunting purposes. Bullet weights vary from 85 gr to 130 gr. The Buffalo Bore 130 gr. +P .327 Federal Magnum load generates an impressive 488 ft. lbs. of energy. Federal brand .327 FM 85 gr. generates 370 ft. lbs. and Winchester .32-20 Super X 100 gr. generates 325 ft. lbs. Federal Personal Defense .32 H&R mag. 85 gr. generates 228 ft. lbs. and Fiocchi .32 S&W long 97 gr. FMJ generate 138 ft. lbs.. Plus reloading any of these would provide even more flexibility and versatility.

Last edited:
Sorry nortac. I wasn't paying proper attention when I looked at threads in this forum section and posted revolvers over in the automatic thread because I didn't see this thread. The only .32 automatic on hand is a neato Astra Constable that resembles a Wather PPK, but this one's in a box in pieces because I lost a part years ago and haven't "gotten a round tuit" to locate another.

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
.327 Federal Magnum - Wikipedia

If the boolit diameter is .312, I would have the urge to shoot home made rifle projos in it ... though short ones! taken from SMLE or MN molds. Or. 7.7 Arisaka. Hm. Gallery loads perhaps.

AA
There is certainly a lot of potential for experimentation in reloading these various cartridges, but for my time and effort, I think the older .32 S&W (not long) would serve as a gallery load, particularly if hand loaded.

Camera is not working so no pics. I have a 1922 vintage S&W hand ejector in 32-20. I got it about a year ago and had been looking for one with adjustable sights but no luck there. It's a nice shooter. What I would really like now is a K frame in 22 Mag.

Top Bottom