What's new

Do you carry with a round in the chamber?

Do you carry with a round in the chamber?

• Yes

• No

• Sometimes

Results are only viewable after voting.

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
Okay guys...Barney made a MAJOR contribution to the shooting world. He invented the Barney Fife reload! :biggrin1:

Funny that I can't fine anything on youtube, or even an article about the reload technique, even using multiple search terms. It was derived before speed loaders became common and you needed a round NOW in your revolver. After dumping your empties you load one round and close the cylinder to where the loaded round comes up under the hammer on the first trigger pull. Much quicker than loading all 6, especially if you are being charged by someone. You have to be aware which direction your cylinder rotates. On a Smith you push up slightly on the cylinder as you close it. Very easy to do once you get muscle memory down. I was trained loading out of cartridge loops and loaded 2 at a time, but the loading of 1 is slightly quicker.

$image.jpeg

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
In competition, we always used to have our "Barney Boolit" to top off our 1911 single stack magazines after chambering the first round before the advent of high cap race guns. Those were the days!

In competition, we always used to have our "Barney Boolit" to top off our 1911 single stack magazines after chambering the first round before the advent of high cap race guns. Those were the days!

What? You don't release the slide onto a loaded chamber destroying your extractor over and over again like everyone else at the range?!?!?! :lol:
For a couple years that was my main way of testing someone's combat pistol confidence. Hand them a 1911 with empty magazine + 1 round of .45 ball and see how they chamber the round. Nine times out of ten they would drop one in the Chamber and slam into battery.

Back on topic LOL to the OP, if you feel more comfortable the first few months carrying in condition 3 then please do so. This is not a Bloodsport every day and you will unlikely need to use your handgun. I would rather you feel comfortable and have a weapon on you at all times than feel uncomfortable and only carry occasionally. We should all support that. Give it a month or two and you will feel comfortable enough to carry condition one everywhere you go.

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
What? You don't release the slide onto a loaded chamber destroying your extractor over and over again like everyone else at the range?!?!?! :lol:

For a couple years that was my main way of testing someone's combat pistol confidence. Hand them a 1911 with empty magazine + 1 round of .45 ball and see how they chamber the round. Nine times out of ten they would drop one in the Chamber and slam into battery.

You...have...to...be...kidding. For real?

I hope you used a junker of a 1911.

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
Another reason not to carry a gun without a loaded chamber. We all would like to think that we are always aware of our surroundings enough to see trouble coming and some would like to steadfastly believe that they would have enough time to rack the slide and chamber a round. But if an attacker does get the drop on you and you are actually in physical contact with them fighting for your life, you will probably have your support arm engaged in holding the attacker away from you or doing some other defensive movement. You now don't have a free hand to rack the slide and you are screwed. You need to be able to access your firearm and put it into action with one hand only.

Some revolvers should be carried with an empty chamber under the hammer, but they still go boom when you pull the trigger. That's not the same as an auto that needs to be racked. I have a 22 I use trapping that is like that.

I always carry my autos with one in the pipe.

Pulling out out a gun and trying to rack it under stress puts you in a whole new dangerous situation. Maybe even more dangerous than not having a gun at all...maybe not, who could know?

I can totally understand not loading it for a short while to get used to carrying it if that makes you feel comfortable though. Making sure your method of carry is secure and the gun doesn't fall out or become exposed as you move around in everyday life is fine. The goal should be to carry it loaded in the long run. It is a little weird carrying at first, at least it was for me. Nothing wrong with being responsible.

Most effective safety on a firearm in the grey matter between the ears of the person holding it. Train yourself to never,ever put your finger in the trigger guard until you are ready to go bang,and then keep one in the pipe at all times. If you need carry time with the gun without one in the chamber to acclimate to it, then that's what you need to do. When you feel comfortable carrying fully loaded, then do it.........as long as you know where your finger is.

Always one in the chamber. I don't have the safety on with my 1911s but they have grip safetys. The M&P I am buying tomorrow has no safety. I will carry it ready to fire.

I was raised with guns and have carried for many years. If you haven't, I think getting used to it as you stated is a good idea. I also recommend taking a training course. Preferably military/combat type.

As a relative beginner who is (should be... shall issue state) about to get his concealed permit, this discussion interests me. I understand the argument for keeping a round in the pipe, and it makes sense. But my question is this --- if carrying with an unchambered round is so bad, why is "Israeli Carry" (aka Condition 3) so popular in other parts of the world?

Could you explain what "Israeli Carry" means? I'm not into firearms, so I've never heard this term.

When I visited Israel in 1979, I spent 2 weeks on shore leave when my Navy ship pulled into port in Haifa. I got to spend a few days each in Haifa, Tel Aviv and Jerusalem. While I was there, I didn't feel particularly "Jewish" but I experienced constant reminders that I was "American."

One thing that surprised me right off the bat was that everywhere I went, I saw Civilians carrying guns. The clerk that checked me into my hotel room had a rifle propped up next to his desk. The waiter that served me breakfast had a holstered gun. The shopkeepers all had firearms. A field trip of schoolchildren had four chaperones, and each of the adults carried a rifle.

As an American, I wasn't used to seeing this, but I certainly could understand the reasoning behind it. None of the other foreign ports we visited had anything like this, and I don't know of anywhere else in the world where this happens.

When I first saw this in Israel, I was shocked. After a couple of days, it seemed normal. By the end of the first week, I didn't even notice anymore.

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
Could you explain what "Israeli Carry" means? I'm not into firearms, so I've never heard this term.

I don't know if they still do, but at one time, the IDF would carry their service pistols with a loaded magazine in the pistol but no round in the chamber. Upon drawing their pistols from the holster they would rack the slide ,chambering a round and come up on target as one smooth continuous movement. This was practiced to a high degree of efficiency. They also had an odd wide shooting stance sort of like the modern isosceles stance, but exaggerated. You have to realize that their side arm (pistol) was not their primary weapon, some sort of battle rifle or SMG was. You must also realize that these were uniformed soldiers and this was not a method of concealed carry.

Last edited:

Whisky

ATF. I use all three.
Staff member
Nortac said:
if an attacker does get the drop on you and you are actually in physical contact with them fighting for your life, you will probably have your support arm engaged in holding the attacker away from you or doing some other defensive movement. You now don't have a free hand to rack the slide and you are screwed. You need to be able to access your firearm and put it into action with one hand only.

This. One of the most useful firearm defensive drills you can practice is drawing your pistol and "point shooting" from the hip at a target that is 1-3 ft from you. There seem to be a lot of people that feel that they will have seconds to bring their weapon up, assume a perfect firing position, and then engage the bad guy at distances of 10-15ft. In reality that bad guy has closed the 10-15ft distance and is 1-2 feet from you if not literally on top of you in the time it takes you to sweep aside your cover garment (if carrying concealed) and presenting your weapon toward the threat. Trying to chamber a round in this situation would be difficult if not impossible. All of my pistols are carried with a round in the chamber at "condition 1."

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
I've been carrying a round in the chamber for a couple weeks now. Won't carry any other way now.

When I'm home I clear the gun and put it in my nightstand.

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
This. One of the most useful firearm defensive drills you can practice is drawing your pistol and "point shooting" from the hip at a target that is 1-3 ft from you. "

Advanced Drill. This Is Dangerous, You WILL shoot yourself if you don't know what you are doing. NOT FOR BEGINNERS. Using a silhouette target, start with your off hand on the shoulder of the target. Draw your weapon, and as soon as you clear leather, holding the gun at hip level and indexing off your body fire two quick shots with your off hand still on the shoulder of the target, These two shots should impact in the pelvic or lower abdomen area. Immediately, begin backing up, assuming a two handed grip on your weapon and bring your sights up on target and fire three more shots center of mass while shuffling backwards. Scan, reload, holster.
You should probably practice this first with your off hand not on the target but by your side, not raising it to form a two handed grip until backing up after the first two shots fired from the hip.

Last edited:
Top Bottom