What's new

Do you carry with a round in the chamber?

Do you carry with a round in the chamber?

• Yes

• No

• Sometimes

Results are only viewable after voting.

Whisky

ATF. I use all three.
Staff member
nortac said:
Advanced Drill. This Is Dangerous, You WILL shoot yourself if you don't know what you are doing. NOT FOR BEGINNERS.

Excellent point which I somehow failed to mention in my first post. I won't actually place my weak hand on the target unless I've run through the drill with my weak hand behind my back 2-3 times. It is a dangerous drill, but I think that the scenario that this trains you for is one that a lot of people don't think they'll ever be in and don't train adequately for.

There was a really good video posted from liveleak in response where you actually see a man die because he's trying to rack the slide while being attacked, and that if he had one in the chamber he would have been able to mount a defense.

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
Advanced Drill. This Is Dangerous, You WILL shoot yourself if you don't know what you are doing. NOT FOR BEGINNERS. Using a silhouette target, start with your off hand on the shoulder of the target. Draw your weapon, and as soon as you clear leather, holding the gun at hip level and indexing off your body fire two quick shots with your off hand still on the shoulder of the target, These two shots should impact in the pelvic or lower abdomen area. Immediately, begin backing up, assuming a two handed grip on your weapon and bring your sights up on target and fire three more shots center of mass while shuffling backwards. Scan, reload, holster.
You should probably practice this first with your off hand not on the target but by your side, not raising it to form a two handed grip until backing up after the first two shots fired from the hip.

Very good point there John. No, excellent point. Since I was professionally trained, with instructor supervision, I never thought about that for someone just trying it on their own.

Yeah...Keep your Damn Hand and Arm out from in front of the Damn Muzzle!!!

I usually practice kinda sorta like this, but my off hand arm is down by my side and the grip of the pistol is pulled more to the back than this pic. shows. The grip of my pistol is right above the holster and about ***** high pulled up tight against your ribs is the way I do it.

Looks like this guy could get a bit of muzzle blast on his hand the way he's doing it. :001_smile

proxy.php

Oh, and if you're using a semi-auto instead of a revolver...if you don't have a ballistic vest on the slide WILL chew on your ribs if you don't hold it out a bit further from your side like you can do with a revolver.

Don't ask me how I know this.

Advanced Drill. This Is Dangerous, You WILL shoot yourself if you don't know what you are doing. NOT FOR BEGINNERS. Using a silhouette target, start with your off hand on the shoulder of the target. Draw your weapon, and as soon as you clear leather, holding the gun at hip level and indexing off your body fire two quick shots with your off hand still on the shoulder of the target, These two shots should impact in the pelvic or lower abdomen area. Immediately, begin backing up, assuming a two handed grip on your weapon and bring your sights up on target and fire three more shots center of mass while shuffling backwards. Scan, reload, holster.
You should probably practice this first with your off hand not on the target but by your side, not raising it to form a two handed grip until backing up after the first two shots fired from the hip.

Very good drill. Another one I like to practice is to drop to your side or back while drawing then engage the target. Simulates two things, first obviously being knocked down.

The second is creating distance.
If I am facing you at 15 feet, and you are coming at me with a knife, I am most likely NOT going to be able to draw in time. Unless you are more gimped up than I am, you will close that distance before I can clear the holster. If I drop to my back as you rush, I am changing your angle of attack. You have a lot of momentum at that point to try and re-direct to an awkward attack, and at the same time I have created distance for my vital organs, introduced a stronger set of muscles to hold you off with, rooted myself better than a drawing stance would be, and bought myself a fraction of time.

Another is to have the target at your rear. Draw as you drop away from and turn your upper body. Engage the target from as close a retention as you can get from that angle. Again the idea is to alter the attack angle and gain distance, but the idea is that you are in a situation you can't run. Say getting ready to enter your car or at an atm.

Edit: When dropping to your back for practice, bring your hands to your centerline before firing and keep your feet on the ground and knees apart or you may end up with a little extra lead in your bloodstream.

Last edited:

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
[MENTION=88203]sfeile[/MENTION], that's another great drill. And a really great way to create distance when there is none.

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
[MENTION=27468]simon1[/MENTION], good point about canting the slide away from the body, I forgot to mention that. It's doing drills like these why I don't like ported pistols for self defense. In these drills using a close in body index for the gun, the ports are often right under your nose/eyes.

Neat drill there, John. One way to practice this with more safely would be to use a laser trainer cartridge/muzzle insert (probably cartridge would be preferred since that wouldn't interfere with holster fit) instead of live ammo. I've got a LaserLyte trainer that I use for dry fire practice that I think would work well. I wouldn't use the actual trainer target. I'd just use a plain silhouette, but have somebody close up that can watch where the laser hits. I'll have to try this in daylight to make sure the laser can be seen.

http://www.laserlyte.com/collections/lts

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
Very good drill. Another one I like to practice is to drop to your side or back while drawing then engage the target. Simulates two things, first obviously being knocked down.

The second is creating distance.
If I am facing you at 15 feet, and you are coming at me with a knife, I am most likely NOT going to be able to draw in time. Unless you are more gimped up than I am, you will close that distance before I can clear the holster. If I drop to my back as you rush, I am changing your angle of attack. You have a lot of momentum at that point to try and re-direct to an awkward attack, and at the same time I have created distance for my vital organs, introduced a stronger set of muscles to hold you off with, rooted myself better than a drawing stance would be, and bought myself a fraction of time.

Another is to have the target at your rear. Draw as you drop away from and turn your upper body. Engage the target from as close a retention as you can get from that angle. Again the idea is to alter the attack angle and gain distance, but the idea is that you are in a situation you can't run. Say getting ready to enter your car or at an atm.

Edit: When dropping to your back for practice, bring your hands to your centerline before firing and keep your feet on the ground and knees apart or you may end up with a little extra lead in your bloodstream.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aDPlWAq-11I

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
Rob, great vid link demonstrating important concepts that the casual shooter probably never considers!

[MENTION=32898]OkieStubble[/MENTION] Great video! I like to watch Zero and Doug, but hadn't realized they had worked together. That would be an awesome demo to attend!

Neat drill there, John. One way to practice this with more safely would be to use a laser trainer cartridge/muzzle insert (probably cartridge would be preferred since that wouldn't interfere with holster fit) instead of live ammo. I've got a LaserLyte trainer that I use for dry fire practice that I think would work well. I wouldn't use the actual trainer target. I'd just use a plain silhouette, but have somebody close up that can watch where the laser hits. I'll have to try this in daylight to make sure the laser can be seen.

http://www.laserlyte.com/collections/lts

Honestly, for less money, airsoft is a good training tool. I like it because there is enough power that it will mark your target like a round will, and it will definitely let you know when you have failed your muzzle control exercise without causing permanent damage.

I use it for training personally, and have also incorporated it into classes.

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
+1 0n Airsoft for training, particularly FOF (force on force), very valuable for teaching/learning tactics.

+1 0n Airsoft for training, particularly FOF (force on force), very valuable for teaching/learning tactics.

It will definitely remind you to be aware of your body position when using cover. Paper won't shoot you in the leg when you slice the doorway with your stance a little too wide. :lol:

Top Bottom