What's new

Unsmoked pipes

I see quite a few unsmoked estate pipes offered for sale at Smokingpipes, which got me to thinking...

When I purchase a pipe, I smoke it immediately upon receipt (when bought online) or soon after I walk out the door of a B&M seller. Hence, ALL of my pipes have been smoked at least one time.

I do admit to having a pile of unsmoked cobs that I view as inexpensive backups, and potential gifts to visitors...and yes, I seem to have a cob fetish, and can't seem to walk out of the local tobacco store without another (along with another tub of PA).

So, how bout you?...got a bunch of unsmoked pipes?

I have one vintage pipe, a beautifully sculpted Butz-Choquin lightly-bent Dublin, that I don't suppose was unsmoked when I bought it on eBay earlier this year. It's just such a nice model that I hate to bring a match anywhere near it. I will -- I'm just looking for a special occasion, I swear!

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
I have waay more pipes than I need as an occasional smoker. Most were acquired as estates and almost all of those had been previously smoked to one degree or another. I have a couple of cobs that have never been smoked and a few briars that have never been smoked. All of my B&B LE's have been smoked, but some just a few times. I have a new Falcon stem that has yet to be smoked. There are a couple of estate pipes that I have never smoked because they turned out to be much larger bowls than what I would normally smoke, but as estates, they have been previously smoked by someone else. I bought a small lot of 6 nondescript briar pipes that were all unsmoked, half of them remained unsmoked just because they had nothing to offer that wasn't already well represented in my collection. I don't have anything that is so special that it shouldn't be smoked or reserved for any special reason.

Last edited:

seabee1999

On the lookout for new chicks
At the moment, I only have a couple unsmoked cobs stashed away for future mods. Other than that, all the briars I have were smoked at one time or another. I do have a few pipes that I'm trying to figure out a blend and time to smoke them.

I'm guessing some of the unsmoked estate pipes I see at SP were purchased for backup duty, which the owner now deems expendable.

Today I saw three nearly identical, "fresh" estate pipes that were unsmoked:

20240514_112947.jpg

If "one is none", three must be the ultimate comfort.

Right now I believe I have 2 or 3 unsmoked waiting for the right time to be used....I have quite a few cobs unused, but what I like to do is burn out a few of the older cobs before moving on to a different one. I have quite a few estates and I rotate them on and off again based on what I feel like using and since I'm an occasional smoker I have a lot of them. Might have to eventually thin it down a bit but they are all nice to have and they were all really good estates at the time I purchased them.

Larry

....I have quite a few cobs unused, but what I like to do is burn out a few of the older cobs before moving on to a different one.

Same here. I generally have a few different styles of cob (5th Ave, Rob Roy, Mark Twain, etc) that I use regularly until each is pretty beat up, then toss it and break out a new one.

So far I've only tossed one, and that was because the plaster fill at the bottom of the bowl felt mushy. I pulled the sticker to investigate...and that was the end. It was one of my "yard" pipes and served me quite well for over a year. It definitely looked tired but probably could have gone much longer.

I have a vintage unsmoked Charatan, still in it's original box and all, that came from the estate of a friend's father that collected more than smoked pipes and pipe accessories. I basically got the bulk of what he had collected as a single lot, and that pipe didn't really interest me, but I know it has more value if/when I decide to let it go if I keep it unsmoked. Everything else I get is close to immediately packed and lit up.

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
All my pipes have been smoked numerous times. I'm down to just four cobs, as one broke, and the moments when I would have smokes one, are more likely to be filled with a Falcon now. The briars are all well established (broken in) with their relevant tobaccos.

There was a time a few years ago, that I kept an unsmoked pipe just to remind me I had enough pipes. That was before I upgraded several of them though. Now, I limit myself to what fits in the drawer.

20230221_142744.jpg

All my pipes have been smoked numerous times. I'm down to just four cobs, as one broke, and the moments when I would have smokes one, are more likely to be filled with a Falcon now. The briars are all well established (broken in) with their relevant tobaccos.

There was a time a few years ago, that I kept an unsmoked pipe just to remind me I had enough pipes. That was before I upgraded several of them though. Now, I limit myself to what fits in the drawer.

View attachment 1847266
Ha ha ha....."Enough"...

The only unsmoked estate briar pipe I've gotten my hands on was a Grabow Savoy

Aside from that I've picked up a few unsmoked H&B cobs and an H&B Andrew Jackson hardwood

Top Bottom