What's new

Alternative For Pipe Case?

I learned something important today. No matter how nice your new pipe is, it's useless without something to smoke in it.

To make a long story short, I packed the day's ration of tobacco in my tobacco pouch, sat said tobacco pouch beside my pipe pouch, then grabbed the pipe pouch as I ran out the door for work. Thankfully, I have a convince store close to work, and was able to grab cigarettes. But the ENTIRE PURPOSE of going back to pipe smoking was to break the cigarette habit, and I would have hit the two-week mark tomorrow.

Anyhow, the pipe pouch I use is old and beat up, and I think it's too small to carry everything in (including the above mentioned tobacco pouch). So I've been looking for a replacement. But I haven't found a purpose-made pouch that I like enough to pay the price for.

I do most of my smoking away from home. I'm at work 10-14 hours per day, four to six days per week, and on the go most of my off days. As such, I'd like to keep a bit more than usual in my pipe-possibles bag. Here's a list of what I'm considering housing in whatever transportation system I devise.:

Two pipes--I have three nice briars in my current rotation, and will probably hold at that for a few months. I've also been burning two cobs. I have some beaters that I might clean up in the near future. I smoke a lot right now (see cigarette habit), and I try to rotate between two pipes during the day.

Tobacco--I'm also trying to rotate between tobaccos...English, VA-Per and Cherry. Each of the briars is dedicated to a type. Most of my tobacco purchases are bulk, and about half of that gets put into small jars. I may just want to toss a jar or two in the bag when the time comes.

Accessories--there's the obvious...pipe tool, Zippo lighter, pipe cleaners...and also filters (Medico and Brigham). I'd also want to have a couple spare Bics.

A few other things I'd like to keep available is a small bottle of Biotene mouthwash (awesome to help tame the tongue bite), a tin of mints, maybe extra fluid for the Zippo.

So, I'm considering a nice Dopp bag for the purpose. Something with several pockets. Has anybody else taken this approach?

Whisky

ATF. I use all three.
Staff member
I use one of these. I don’t think it checks all your boxes, but it will hold a tin or multiple Mylar bags of tobacco, and all the doodads you need to smoke. I’ve managed to get 2 pipes in mine, but it makes it extremely bulky. The pouch for the tin was undersized on mine and I had to stretch it by leaving a tin stuffed into at all times. Other than that, no other complaints.

I use one of these. I don’t think it checks all your boxes, but it will hold a tin or multiple Mylar bags of tobacco, and all the doodads you need to smoke. I’ve managed to get 2 pipes in mine, but it makes it extremely bulky. The pouch for the tin was undersized on mine and I had to stretch it by leaving a tin stuffed into at all times. Other than that, no other complaints.

That's very nice! I'm looking at something very similar.

My solution for this was a Pelican 1050 case. It's a smallish sealed case with sufficient room for a few pipes and associated necessities.

I picked this one up at the PX about 20 years ago and it has been around the world with me. Under the tobacco are filters, pipe cleaners, pipe tools, etc.

ResizedImage_2023-09-23_07-19-46_1776.jpgResizedImage_2023-09-23_07-20-05_1835.jpg

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
Thinking outside the, um, bag a little, but is it feasible for you to store supplies at work? Small jars of tobacco and all the doodads, so you could just tote your pipes and wouldn't have to lug all that stuff around with you.

Edit: Never mind. This would ruin the opportunity to shop for a new pipe bag. :lol:

Whisky

ATF. I use all three.
Staff member
I don't know what your aesthetic requirements are, but Maxpedition has the "Fatty Pocket Organizer" series of pouches that could certainly accommodate the functional needs for not much money as compared to designated pipe bags.

Amazon.com - https://www.amazon.com/Maxpedition-Medium-Pocket-Organizer-Foliage/dp/B005258078/ref=sr_1_5?crid=1U43KO29VTJKA&keywords=maxpedition%2Bmini%2Bpocket%2Borganizer&qid=1695471164&sprefix=Maxpedition%2Caps%2C132&sr=8-5&th=1
I use one of these for extended trips when I want to take 2-3 pipes.

Columbo

Mr. Codgers Neighborhood
I learned something important today. No matter how nice your new pipe is, it's useless without something to smoke in it.

That's an awful lot to tote around daily. For that much, have you considered a men's hand or shoulder bag? Not uncommon today, and some are well made of premium materials that will last a very long time and are very spacious.

Back in the day, people just carried their pipe gear all about them. A lighter in a pants or jacket pocket, a tin or pouch in another, and one guy I knew would just carry his daily pipe in his front shirt pocket (a more common practice than you think). Stuff a couple looped pipe cleaners in a front pocket. This was in the era before cell phones, so perhaps it is more complicated now.

For varying tobacco blends, rather than possibly ghost up a built in pouch compartment, fill your daily travel tobac in a sandwich bag, and either stuff that in the compartment or elsewhere.

I have a small pipe travel bag that can fit in a front suit breast pocket, yet rarely use it. All you really need for the day is a small pouch load, a lighter (or pack of matches), a combo tool and pipe rest, and a pipe. Some pipe lighters even have built in tools. When I go off into the woods for a longer walk, that's all I'll carry.

You could also set up a smoke station at your work, if you have an office or bench area. Prep your pipes there, and haul them outside if there is a policy. Most executive pipe smokers from the old era kept a small rack and some tobacco at their desk. You then rotate your pipes between work and home via the commutes.

All you really need to smoke on the go is a pipe, a lighter or matches, and a small bag of tobacco. A pipe won't go sour if you wait to get home to swab it clean.

Unfortunately, I have to have everything self-contained and semi-secure at work, and my weird hours can mean forgetting things at home or at work. Also, I have had 10 hour shifts become 30+ hours on at least one occasion. Trying to avoid going back to cigarettes at all cost.

I have considered something in the line of a messenger bag. That would allow me to carry other things such as notebooks/pens, books, charger, earbuds, etc.

That's the perfect transportation device for all of my "hobbies".
I've had a briefcase like that since about 1994. Eddie Bauer at our big local mall offered them in leather-trimmed canvas and in leather, and the latter was only $20 more. It's been with me in rain, hot sun, cold, and snow. I've had to replace some of the metal fasteners for the shoulder strap, and the leather grip handle is cracking some, but it's still soldiering on.

Whenever I've thought of replacing it with a modern version, I look at the prices, and I lie down until the darkness passes.

Whisky

ATF. I use all three.
Staff member
My Murse is made by saddleback leather. They’re not cheap but have a 100yr guarantee. Heavy duty leather and no zippers etc that might break. This one is going on 11yrs of daily use and abuse. Their unofficial motto is “your kids will fight over it when you’re dead.”

There was a time I carried a canvas briefcase like bag everywhere I went containing business licenses, certificates, checkbooks and forms so that I would have anything necessary at hand to complete a business transaction.

I called it my "business in a bag". Over time it accumulated powers of attorney, proxy documents and a horrific amount of cruft. It had become as disconcertingly bottomless as any woman's extra large purse.

I am much happier now that I no longer need it.

Years ago, I found a very small carry-on bag at Goodwill made of heavy-duty nylon with several compartments and pockets that I used for taking pipes, tobaccos, and smoking accoutrements when traveling or going to pipe club meetings. I now use a leather messenger bag made by G.H. Bass for carrying my pipe smoking essentials. Inside of the messenger bag I have a 4-pipe leather pipe case, so my pipes don't get damaged by the tins, jars, etc. in the messenger bag. The messenger bag will also accommodate a tablet or a small laptop.

Top Bottom