What's new

Lighter flints

I thought I read here that it is a bad idea to use bulk flints, or even Zippo brand flints or butane in my Old Boy lighter. If true, is there a suitable alternative to the IM Corona flints? It's not so much economy and more about availability. I'm sold on the butane thing after having a bunch of lighters go wonky, so I'm stocked with quality, filtered butane...and a pile of Zippo flints for use in my Zippo pipe lighters.

...but I don't want to damage my precious using crappy flints. 😄😄😄

I've used Zippo or Ronson flints exclusively in my Zippo lighters to light thousands of cigs (which I've quit) and never had a problem. I also realize that I use my Old Boy (or Zippo pipe lighter) 3-5 times per smoking session versus a single time with when lighting a cig and I've noticed that the flints don't last as long, even when using my Zippo with pipe insert.

So, what is the consensus?

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
I used something from SP. I don’t remember the brand, but it came in a small bottle and though not cheap, wasn’t crazy expensive either. Shipping for the small packages was a couple bucks via first class

Columbo

Mr. Codgers Neighborhood
I thought I read here that it is a bad idea to use bulk flints, or even Zippo brand flints or butane in my Old Boy lighter. If true, is there a suitable alternative to the IM Corona flints? It's not so much economy and more about availability. I'm sold on the butane thing after having a bunch of lighters go wonky, so I'm stocked with quality, filtered butane...and a pile of Zippo flints for use in my Zippo pipe lighters.

...but I don't want to damage my precious using crappy flints. 😄😄😄

I've used Zippo or Ronson flints exclusively in my Zippo lighters to light thousands of cigs (which I've quit) and never had a problem. I also realize that I use my Old Boy (or Zippo pipe lighter) 3-5 times per smoking session versus a single time with when lighting a cig and I've noticed that the flints don't last as long, even when using my Zippo with pipe insert.

So, what is the consensus?

It is not the flints, but the flint wheel, that matters. You do need to match the flints, or the wheel suffers. Flints are consumables, wheels are not.

A hard, mismatched flint will wear down the wheel on something like a Corona. Corona wheels are cut much finer. Best to use the genuine Corona flints on a Corona, which are much softer than those on the Zippos or generics. A Kiribi flint is also on the softer side. A five pack of Corona flints is about $1 ea. In bulk, the price drops substantially. Each one is usually good for at least 300-500 lights, usually more. On a $100-200 lighter, what's the problem with that?

The same with the high end lighters. Don't drop a "Redskin" that came with the butane into a Dunhill or DuPont. You'll be sorry.

Conversely, the flint wheel on a Zippo is very coarse and hard, and could probably pull a spark off a nail. There, it will chew through a soft Corona flint like hot butter. You can use just about anything in that one. Maybe not a nail, though.

Last edited:
My understanding is the the Kiribi flints are much softer then the Zippo flints which puts less wear and tear on the striker wheel....I use the Zippo flints in a Zippo of course but also the Ronsons, Nimrod, Beatie, and Rogers Jet, and any other cheaper lighter get the Zippo flints.....my Dunhills get a Dunhill flint since the diameter is larger and my Peterson lighter gets the Kiribi flint so the flint wheel doesn't wear out....I have a Dupont coming soon and that will get a Dupont flint. I have a lot of lighters so when I buy a pack of specialty flints for certain high end lighters it lasts me a very long time (like years) so the cost isnt a big deal for the high end lighters.

Larry

I used something from SP. I don’t remember the brand, but it came in a small bottle and though not cheap, wasn’t crazy expensive either. Shipping for the small packages was a couple bucks via first class

Kiribi flints. 20 for 4 bucks.

Yeah, I've got a pack of IM Corona flints that I bought with the lighter and will probably add more with my next Smoking Pipes order. Easy enough.

When you get bougie like me you don’t use Zippo flints in a $150.00 lighter ;).

I get it, just wondering if anyone has actually worn out a striker wheel using Zippo flints...I've got 30 year-old Zippos with thousands of strikes on the odometer that still work fine.

In the end, it's definitely a first-world concern of llittle consoquence, still no harm in the "safe rather than sorry" approach.

It is not the flints, but the flint wheel, that matters. You do need to match the flints, or the wheel suffers. Flints are consumables, wheels are not.

A hard, mismatched flint will wear down the wheel on something like a Corona. Corona wheels are cut much finer. Best to use the genuine Corona flints on a Corona, which are much softer than those on the Zippos or generics. A Kiribi flint is also on the softer side. A five pack of Corona flints is about $1 ea. In bulk, the price drops substantially. Each one is usually good for at least 300-500 lights, usually more. On a $100-200 lighter, what's the problem with that?

The same with the high end lighters. Don't drop a "Redskin" that came with the butane into a Dunhill or DuPont. You'll be sorry.

Conversely, the flint wheel on a Zippo is very coarse and hard, and could probably pull a spark off a nail. There, it will chew through a soft Corona flint like hot butter. You can use just about anything in that one. Maybe not a nail, though.

No problem. 🙂

I'm just trying to understand, and your post is exactly the information I was seeking,

Let's be honest: when you hang out at forums where a lot of folks are obsessed and fastidious with their hobby, you often encounter some quirky behavior which is completely unnecessary. I just wanted some solid reasoning, which you provided.

Thank you.

...my Dunhills get a Dunhill flint since the diameter is larger...

Which accomplishes two things:

- Increases revenue for Dunhill, but more importantly...

- Assures the logetivity and trouble-free operation of the lighter, which one would expect from a $$$$$ lighter, from an iconic brand.

What he said. There is no economy in using lessor flints in an expensive lighter. What's the old saying? "Penny wise, pound foolish." This is a lesson I learned with small 2 cycle engines. Mixing my own fuel with gas of unknown quality led to constant problems. Using the premix fuel, while more expensive, made all those problems disappear. The extra expense was worth way more than the constant frustration. Now if I could only learn all those other life lessons without doing it the hard way!

That 5 pack of IM Corona flints will last a long time brother. Sorry I haven’t tried any other brands in my old boy. I think the universe is telling you to buy some tobacco to get the free shipping on your flints😉.

Top Bottom