What's new

Zippo Pipe Insert Running Review

So, I received my Zippo lighter and pipe insert yesterday. I pulled it apart and fixed the wick last night, and fueled it up this morning. I thought I'd keep a little running review on it over the next few days, just to see how I liked using it .

So far, so good. Of course, the build quality is excellent. It's a Zippo after all! I'm getting used to sparking it sideways. Otherwise, it seems to function like a standard wick Zippo.

I've lit two bowls with it today...outside and a bit windy. I've had no problem with it operating. Far better than the Bic I've been using.

I've not noticed any flavor from the fluid yet. I also haven't had to relight yet (not counting the fake light) so either the Zippo gives a better overall light, or my packing game is on point.
IMG_20230926_025744526.jpg

Columbo

Mr. Codgers Neighborhood
Zippos are more than legendary. They're an ongoing institution at this point. You can never go wrong having one.

Enjoy it until your grandkids have it. They do last that long.

Do be sure to slip a spare flint under the fill flap. That way, you'll never be caught without a spark.

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
I've been lighting all day (breaking a cigarette chain-smoking habit) with very little issue. Once, I did get a good taste of fluid, but that was because I didn't let it burn for a few seconds first.

Congrats on breaking the cancer stick habit. I smoked fot 50 years and quit after I had surgery a couple of years ago on both femoral arteries (one was 80% blocked and the other was 100% blocked). It was tough at first but now I don't even think about it.

I love not getting the cravings when I'm stuck somewhere that I can't smoke for a few hours. I do smoke a bowl or two of an evening though. Don't have cravings when I don't get them.

Congrats on breaking the cancer stick habit. I smoked fot 50 years and quit after I had surgery a couple of years ago on both femoral arteries (one was 80% blocked and the other was 100% blocked). It was tough at first but now I don't even think about it.

I love not getting the cravings when I'm stuck somewhere that I can't smoke for a few hours. I do smoke a bowl or two of an evening though. Don't have cravings when I don't get them.

Thanks for the words of encouragement! Going on three weeks with very few cigarettes. So far, I'm liking the change a lot!

So, I'm a few days in lighting with the Zippo pipe insert. I have gotten a few doses of the fluid. All have been as a result of me failing to let it cook off for a few seconds. Also, the chimney does soot up pretty quickly. I'll have to give it a good cleaning before long. So far, nothing has occurred to make me go back to a Bic. I may light a few times (clean, rested bowl) with a match, just to see if I notice a huge difference.

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
For future consideration:

Some insert gasket seals

I have some and I like them. Help reduce the evap time of the fluid in the lighter.
I ordered a set of these seals, looks like they should do the trick, but too soon to comment on their effectiveness. I had gotten away from using my Zippos because of my low smoking frequency usually resulted in having to refill the Zippo each time I used it due to the evaporation that occurred in between occasional smokes. Hopefully it will be a game changer!

seabee1999

On the lookout for new chicks
I ordered a set of these seals, looks like they should do the trick, but too soon to comment on their effectiveness. I had gotten away from using my Zippos because of my low smoking frequency usually resulted in having to refill the Zippo each time I used it due to the evaporation that occurred in between occasional smokes. Hopefully it will be a game changer!
I hope they work well for you too. My frequency is low as well. However, I have noticed that fluid stays around about 50% longer with the seal than without it.

Love my Zippo insert, I've had it several years. I use a Bic or Old Boy in the house, but when outside the Zippo works every time. Since I don't use it every day, I top it off before going out.

I've been using wooden matches the past few days. I can definitely tell the difference between the two. Not so much between the Zippo and the Bic.

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista

I ordered a set also. I had heard about wrapping something around the insert to seal it off but never did it. Dad used a Zippo and I did also for decades..before Bics came out and after.

They arrived yesterday and I put one in my pipe insert. It is...snug...but I got it in. Had to turn the lighter upside down on the counter and push down on it to get the lid closed but today the insert comes out just fine. As tight as it is it should help quite a bit.

I have the rubber insert in my Zippo, perhaps it helps, it’s hard to say. Today I’m try Naptha in the lighter as opposed to Zippo fluid. So far, so good. The Naptha was $0.50/Oz In a 32 Oz can vs $0.75/Oz for the Zippo fluid. We’ll see how it goes. Note: I use the pipe insert.

Top Bottom