What's new

Switching from cigarettes to pipe...trying again

So, here I am again...trying to switch from cigarettes to pipe. I've tried this twice before with varying degrees of success. But I really want to make the change permanent.

In doing so, I've identified WHY smoking a pipe is a better option. I don't smoke the amount of tobacco in a pipe that I was cigarettes (2+ pack habit). I'm trying not to inhale, and I'm spending a lot less per day on tobacco (cigarettes are $9-10 per pack here). Plus, I like the flavors available in pipe tobacco better, and feel that it's "classier".

I'm doing everything I can to identify and avoid the pitfalls that I hit in earlier attempts:

Pitfall 1--time. During the previous attempts, I worked jobs that didn't allow me the time to smoke a pipe. It was much easier to huff down a cigarette or two when I had downtime.

Pitfall 2--keeping smokeable pipes. In earlier attempts, I only had one or two briars, and lacked the time and discipline to Keep them clean and smokeable. The old pipes that I have laying around are so caked up, that I'm going to have to spend a day reaming and another with salt and rum to even make them good beaters.

Pitfall 3--lack of local tobacco availability. There's not many pipe smokers in my area, so few if any places keep pipe tobacco in stock. It was easy to run out, and have to go back to cigarettes.

Pitfall 4--boredom with available tobaccos. With that lack of availability came a profound lack of variety. The few places that carry pipe tobacco here at all may only have one or two types on hand. No offense to anybody that likes it, but I got bored quite quickly with Borkam Riff.

Pitfall 5--keeping everything together. It's very easy to take off and forget a key component necessary for smoking a pipe.

So, how am I dealing with these pitfalls? Well, my current job affords me enough downtime to have an occasional pipe, and clean between smokes.

I've found a good online enabler...err...retailer. I now have three nice (but affordable) briars to put in a rotation, and a couple of cobs on hand. I usually bounce between briar and cob throughout a day, and I'm doing a fair job of including pipe cleaning as part of my nightly routine.

I'm also able to buy quality tobacco in bulk at a price that makes my cigarettes look ridiculous. I'm trying to keep a pound each of English, VA-Per and Cherry aromatic on hand. Each type is assigned a pipe, and I rotate the tobaccos along with the pipe.

Does anybody else have a strategy that has worked in making a permanent switch from cigarettes to pipe?

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
I made the same transition, kind of. I went from cigs to vape and nasal snuff. Together, they handled most of the urges, and the pipe was for the times when only a smoke would do.

Time: if I want a quick smoke, I want a ribbon cut rather than flake. Some supposedly ready rubbed blends can feel more like broken flake, and still slow the burn to beyond a quick smoke. A falcon with a Bantam bowl, or one of the smaller cobs (Mizzou, Pony Express) does the job nicely too. I wouldn't use a "full size" pipe if there were any time constraints. I'd also rather smoke a smaller amount slow, than rush a larger bowl.

Maintaining: When you're done, bung a pipe cleaner in the stem and leave it there till you get home, or at least till your shift finishes. It'll soak up more gunk, and only take seconds to run a second cleaner down when you aren't on the clock.

Boredom: any and every 50g pouch or tin will leave me bored before I finish it. I now split and store them in 4 12.5g-ish Mylar pouches, which give me 4 to 6 smokes per bag, dependent on the pipe used. However, I also have 10 such blends "live" at any time, in 10 little screw top jars.

Limited availability? Well, that's the norm for most of us. You are your own convenience shop. Set yourself a minimum stock level for each type, and place an online order before you're out of anything.

Togetherness: I cheat. I use the vape away from home. If I was taking a pipe, I would defo want something that took all the pieces together. Pipe, leak, lighter and tamp are relatively easy. Worst case, I just wrap the hardware up in the flap of a baccy pouch. It's the pipe cleaners that stump me.

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
I agree with smaller MM cobs and Falcon pipes. Many Zulu style pipes are small in size and may be suitable for your needs. Make sure your tobby is on the dry side for quicker smokes. There are small "sleeves"to keep a handful of pipe cleaners, either plastic (usually "giveaways") or leather that could be included in your smoking kit bag.

Thanks for all the input. I'm already building a bit of a cellar, with an entire desk drawer full of tobacco plus the haha for daily use sitting in the desk (four or five pounds total, I'd guess.

MM quick stop cob and some codger blends will give you 20 min tops as long as you pack it within reason. Yes they are small but when you have limited time on a lunch break it does work out well. Plus they are so damn cheap you can pre-pack a few of them, throw them in a ziplock bag and use them when time allows and pre-packing maximizes your smoking time. The added bonus is if they break they are easy to replace.

Larry

After near 50 years of pack-a-day, I mainly vape now, unflavored high-nic juice that I make at home. Other than that I smoke my pipes once per day (at most) often an $8-10 cob stuffed with a codger blend like Prince Albert.

The cobs are nice because I don't feel bad about neglect or abuse. I drop them, char the rims, chomp on the bits, and rarely use a pipe cleaner, and they still last for many months. To me, the inexpensive cobs are disposable.

The PA (and Carter Hall) might be most appealing to me because I find those to be most "cig-alike"...nothing fancy...just straight-up, satisfying tobacco.

When I'm out it's most often a cob, a pouch with PA, a Bic or Clipper, and a Czech tool. Missouri Meerschaum has a nice leather pouch that holds everything, including spare filters (I use em) and a few folded pipe cleaners.

I tried that and failed. I had to quit cigs for years before I could smoke without inhaling. I assume you inhale cig smoke.

I can smoke hand rolled cigs without filters now and do not inhale. I almost always smoke cigars though. D&R carries many types of inexpensive pipe tobacco, that happens to be good for rolling. hint hint

So far, so good! I'm cigarette free most days (8 of ten, at least) and have bought two packs in October...though I'm gonna have to pick up a third tomorrow as I'll be on the road most of the day.

I've found a few tobaccos that I really like, and don't find cigarettes at all "tasty" these days.

Top Bottom