What's new

I want to make pipes!

I decided to add another hobby to my list of hobbies i dont have time for! Graphite Drawing, Realism ballpoint pen drawing, DE razor shaving and vintage gillette collecting, straight razor restoration, leather carving, metal earth tiny metal model building, 1:25 classic car model building, i even once learned to use a sewing machine and made my son a dragon stuffed animal! Now i want to make some tobacco pipes and get back to the enjoyment it used to bring me! Can anyone recommend a website to buy pipe making gear? I bought a couple briar pipe blanks with pre cut holes and stems included on ebay! Should i learn on another wood that isnt so pricey? Can purple heart hard wood be used to make and smoke? Ive always loved that wood! Any help you can offer would be greatly appreciated! I dont have a small wood lathe at the moment but i want to eventually get one. What are the bits called used to drill the bowl? I have 2 pre drilled blanks coming in the mail and 2 kinds of pipe tobacco on the way! Tools i have are foredom flex shaft with two hand pieces, large and small drill press, disc sander/belt sander, polishing wheel, drill bits, large and small files, scroll saw, belt sander, coping saw, jewelers saw, a work bench and way too much free time! Is there anything else that i will need? I do plan on buying a small wood lathe or stealing my moms 😈

Thank you family,
Vincent

seabee1999

On the lookout for new chicks
Vermont Freehand is a great place to start. There’s a lot on the site from tooling to briar blanks/kits to acrylic rods to assist in getting started. I’d say all the tools you have will help you make something nice for now. Obviously, a lathe would be the best option.

I can say this from personal experience, a Dremel tool will go a long way for removing material as well. The two pipes I did as well as the many shanks for cob modifications, my Dremel was a valuable asset to me.

Pretty much the only site you need.

As Dave mentioned, a lathe is ideal, but you can get by without one with a drill press, a Dremel, and sandpaper. And a LOT of patience.

I'll also add a recommendation to read through the PIMO Guide to Pipe Crafting at Home (you can get it at Vermont Freehand) before you start - save yourself a good bit of trial & error.

Good luck! (Oh, and it probably goes without saying, but...pics or it didn't happen.😉)

Top Bottom