What's new

My Grandpa Smoked Pipes!

Both of my Grandpa's died before I was ever born. Both of my Grandmother's were still alive and lived until I was in my 20s. All I have of either Grandfather is but stories. I knew one of my great-grandfathers smoked a pipe, as he usually had one in the few pictures of him. Otherwise, I just assumed they smoked cigarettes like was common when I grew up.

Imagine my surprise when my mother pulled out an old Dr Grabow Duke pipe the other day, telling me it was my grandfather's. First I've ever even heard of it. I've smoked a pipe at least a couple years now, and have smoked at Mom's house several times (outside of course). I wonder why she didn't mention it sooner? Anyway, it was great to smoke a pipe that was my grandfather's. It wasn't too gummed up from age either. I essentially cleaned the stem really well and smoked it. Smoked quite good, though I smoked MacB old dark fired so there was no opportunity for any off flavors. That stuff is very deep, and strong. I like it but I think it's an acquired taste. I also think you could sprinkles of printer paper in the bowl and you would never notice because the tobacco is sp robust.
20231123_184504.jpg
20231123_184520.jpg

My paternal grandfather smoked pipes. I remember many of the old codger tobacco tins and cans around, mostly containing nails, screws, and such. I don’t remember much about his pipes. They were likely Grabow or Kaywoodie, whatever was carried at the drugstore. My grandfather was a general contractor for a time and I still recall the distinctive smell of his office area where he drew up plans on a drafting table; pencil sharpener shavings and tobacco smoke. PA, SWR, CH, H&H, Kentucky Club, Field & Stream; those blends held mystical meaning for a young boy.
Cherish that old Grabow!

EclipseRedRing

I smell like a Christmas pudding
Congratulations on a wonderful find! It is amazing how a parent sometimes does not realise the import their child may place on a seemingly trivial family item. A few years ago my late Mother moved into a nursing home and as she was packing her belongings I rescued something she threw away. It is a pencil drawing of me as a child, done by my Father who passed away in 1977 when I was ten years of age. Incredibly she had kept it for more than 40 years, never shown it to me, and thought I would not want it. It is now one of my most treasured possessions; here it is:

Drawing.jpg

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
Both of my Grandpa's died before I was ever born. Both of my Grandmother's were still alive and lived until I was in my 20s. All I have of either Grandfather is but stories. I knew one of my great-grandfathers smoked a pipe, as he usually had one in the few pictures of him. Otherwise, I just assumed they smoked cigarettes like was common when I grew up.

Imagine my surprise when my mother pulled out an old Dr Grabow Duke pipe the other day, telling me it was my grandfather's. First I've ever even heard of it. I've smoked a pipe at least a couple years now, and have smoked at Mom's house several times (outside of course). I wonder why she didn't mention it sooner? Anyway, it was great to smoke a pipe that was my grandfather's. It wasn't too gummed up from age either. I essentially cleaned the stem really well and smoked it. Smoked quite good, though I smoked MacB old dark fired so there was no opportunity for any off flavors. That stuff is very deep, and strong. I like it but I think it's an acquired taste. I also think you could sprinkles of printer paper in the bowl and you would never notice because the tobacco is sp robust. View attachment 1753089View attachment 1753090

What a nice heirloom! Truly priceless.

My father smoked Camels, had the brown fingers to prove it. Nothing smelled better than the moment one of the Camels was lit with a Zippo lighter, then how bad it could be. My grandparents on his side, never saw them with tobacco in any form. Grandparent's on my mothers side dipped......

My mother smoked Pall Malls for many years. Dad gave up the white sticks before I was born, but Mom continued. It's amazing that I never picked up the habit. She kept her current packs in a drawer in the kitchen and would often ask me to bring her one; and a number of my boyhood fictional heroes like Ellery Queen and James Bond were habitual smokers.

Maybe it was *because* I smelled Mom's cigs all those years that I was turned off from the practice. It was not a secret thing; there was no "forbidden" mystique to it.

As far as I know, I'm the first in my family to take up the pipe.

Top Bottom