(details here)
Blade Sharpness
9/10 (One weeper)3.5/10 (Working Edge)
EffectivenessShave Comfort
6/10
(CCS+)
7/10 (comfortable)

Notes:

Summary. Superb way to kickstart Saturday. The shave itself was rather quick as I had to chauffeur one of the offspring early morning.

Razor and blade. The blade is nearing its end. I might do one more to have a fresh blade starting Monday. Nice blade all things considering. Sufficiently sharp and comfortable. The last GSB was smoother and it’s definitely smoother than the Sputnik. It lacks somewhat in sharpness although it’s not dull either. Much better than Astra’s to me for example. I wouldn’t say better than a Tiger Platinum - more on par with. The razor is my top one. Predictable, smooth, comfortable, very nimble. Just sheer excellence from top to toe.

Brush and lather. The Semogue is one of my more luxurious brushes. I love the handle design. The brush requires a bit more soaking time to soften up. It’s the most firm badger of the three I have.

Technique. Enjoying this return or revisiting of the Gillette Slide very much. It must mean my technique increased again, because I turned to the CB curve because it followed my beard map better and I got better results. This week I am not too sure about the difference.

Enjoy your shave!
Have you tried the Timeless with a Kai blade? I love that combo.

Guido, do you have particular sites that you research blades on? I ask because I have to dig around and only find bits and pieces
Well…the real answer to that question is none. I just put them in my razor and try them. And the other answer would be this forum. I do very little research into blades (also haven’t bought any blades for over two years). I do read other people’s journals or their reviews.

Any particular info you are looking for?

Well…the real answer to that question is none. I just put them in my razor and try them. And the other answer would be this forum. I do very little research into blades (also haven’t bought any blades for over two years). I do read other people’s journals or their reviews.

Any particular info you are looking for?
Thanks Guido, no I wasn’t looking for anything in particular. I just like to read reviews etc. that thread that @dmshaver had was pretty awesome.

Date18.03.2024
366 daily shaves
078/366

RazorBladeBrush
Blackbird SSASCO (1)Simpson T3
PreshaveSoapPostshave
Cold splash
KCG Face Wash
Mike’s Natural Soaps Barbershop (59)
Cold splash
Proraso Green
Balm

PassesWTG XTG ATG and touch up
Process Quality
(details here)
Blade Sharpness
9.5/10 (Almost clean)5/10 (Sharp)
8.75/10
(BBS-)
8/10 (Smooth)

Notes:

Summary. Despite Mühle Monday I decided to give the Blackbird another go following yesterday’s shave. Wonderful.

Razor and blade. I looked at my journal entries and found that the Blackbird excelled when I used top notch blades. That might explain the average results I recently got. Together with the Game Changer the first razor to hit double digit usage. That must account for something. The blade is good. Better than the Racer I would say. Definitely more aftershave sting. Comfortable, but paired with the Blackbird not necessarily butterysmooth.

Brush and lather. Excellent and well hydrated lather in part thanks to the wonderful T3. Great brush with a ton of backbone at first but once splayed is wonderfully soft. Generates lather like a milk frother.

Technique. Did my passes as if my beard map didn’t exist, so all basic strokes N-S, W-E/E-W, and S-N but being very present and deliberate about them. Superb shave results. Used the Blackbird’s cap design to guide me on the angle. Not full BBS but close enough. Good shave.

Date19.03.2024
366 daily shaves
079/366

RazorBladeBrush
Timeless Ti95 SCLASCO (2)Zenith 502B XSE
PreshaveSoapPostshave
Cold splash
KCG Face Wash
Mike’s Natural Soaps Barbershop (60)
Cold splash
Proraso Green
Balm

Process Quality
(details here)
Blade Sharpness
9.5/10 (Almost clean)4/10 (Sharp Edge)
8.25/10
(DFS++)
8/10 (Smooth)

Notes:

Summary. Relaxing and smooth shave. The blade felt exhausted already after two shaves. Still sufficiently comfortable.

Razor and blade. I have said now than plenty about this razor. My top dog. Feels like it was made for my hand. The pairing with the blade was ok, similar to yesterday - not spectacular, but no Sputnik either. Middle of the road comfort. In this second shave I would say less than the Racer blade and they are definitely not the same to me.

Brush and lather. I got inspired to use my Zenith again and after a short soak the brush loaded easily and even before dunking my brush in for water it already started producing nice and thick lather. Two dunks in water and slickness was added to desirable levels. Slight hogging on the final pass, but very doable. Excellent brush and therefore a favourite!

Technique. Another straightforward shave in terms of directional passes. A smidge behind the Blackbird in overall feel, but some areas are definitely smoother than yesterday. Again no BBS levels but very satisfying. And what I find is that using these ‘regular’ passes produces a zen like vibe to the shave. I think I chase BBS just a bit more than zen to be honest.

Enjoy your shave!

Date19.03.2024
366 daily shaves
079/366

RazorBladeBrush
Timeless Ti95 SCLASCO (2)Zenith 502B XSE
PreshaveSoapPostshave
Cold splash
KCG Face Wash
Mike’s Natural Soaps Barbershop (60)
Cold splash
Proraso Green
Balm

Process Quality
(details here)
Blade Sharpness
9.5/10 (Almost clean)4/10 (Sharp Edge)
8.25/10
(DFS++)
8/10 (Smooth)

Notes:

Summary. Relaxing and smooth shave. The blade felt exhausted already after two shaves. Still sufficiently comfortable.

Razor and blade. I have said now than plenty about this razor. My top dog. Feels like it was made for my hand. The pairing with the blade was ok, similar to yesterday - not spectacular, but no Sputnik either. Middle of the road comfort. In this second shave I would say less than the Racer blade and they are definitely not the same to me.

Brush and lather. I got inspired to use my Zenith again and after a short soak the brush loaded easily and even before dunking my brush in for water it already started producing nice and thick lather. Two dunks in water and slickness was added to desirable levels. Slight hogging on the final pass, but very doable. Excellent brush and therefore a favourite!

Technique. Another straightforward shave in terms of directional passes. A smidge behind the Blackbird in overall feel, but some areas are definitely smoother than yesterday. Again no BBS levels but very satisfying. And what I find is that using these ‘regular’ passes produces a zen like vibe to the shave. I think I chase BBS just a bit more than zen to be honest.

Enjoy your shave!
Nice report, as always.

Just posted another Razor War comparison thread - Blackbird against Timeless Ti95.

Details can be found here.
Ooh. I have those...

Jon Stewart Popcorn GIF

It’s a picky blade. Put it in a Fatip and it is really smooth and comfortable (not GlideFest levels, but smoother than today).
I will give that a try. I find this blade very hard to use, i had some nice but not wow shaves, but there are people that really like them, and i even think that Greencult delivering there razors whit a tuck of Tiger blades. But i will try it in the Fatip

I will give that a try. I find this blade very hard to use, i had some nice but not wow shaves, but there are people that really like them, and i even think that Greencult delivering there razors whit a tuck of Tiger blades. But i will try it in the Fatip
That’s correct Green cult gives these with their razors. It has a very small fan base this blade if I am honest, but if you pair it with the right razor the shave is good.

Cheers,

Guido

I have the GreenCult 2.0 with the III base. I never tried the supplied blades because the ones I have and use are blades I have found through trial and error to be excellent for me. I have used B&B to research those blades and am quite happy without experimenting any further. Now, having said that, I may have to, at some point, experiment with other blades should I start to run low. By my calculations, I should have expired by the time that happens...so nothing to concern myself with.
Cheers!

reface_1603145987554_360.GIF

Last edited:
Top Bottom