What's new

Razor wars - Blackland Blackbird versus Greencult 2.0 II

I have been looking forward to doing this comparison. I have done individual shaves with each, but decided to also include a real head to head shave by using both in one shave.

Blackland Blackbird

I feel as if this razor needs no introduction on this forum being a favourite ever since it first hit the streets. Mine is polished stainless steel with the original baseplate and regular handle. I was able to get this of a local bay site here in the Netherlands (otherwise I would not have gotten it in all honesty) and was able to pick it up in person so I actually had the chance of seeing and feeling the razor before buying. The Blackbird I have weighs 90 grams (compared to the 94 grams listed on Blackland's website) with (according to Kickstarter) a blade gap of .58mm and blade exposure of .101mm.

Greencult 2.0 II

This razor came to me early last year as a gift surprise from dear friend Adam @flask28. By sheer twist of faith the razor was delivered with the II baseplate instead of the III Adam had intended. And that was a twist of good fortune, because it is simply amazing with the II baseplate. I have hand polished mine to get rid of the beadblasted finish it comes with. Using the OEM handle the GC2.II weighs 126 grams with a blade gap of .65mm and blade exposure of .10mm (both recorded on the bottom of the baseplate. I like it a lot.

Viewing both heads side by side there appear to be a lot of similarities - to my untrained eye at least (I used my DLR camera, because I thought that would get me better pictures than using my iPhone, but nothing of the sort. I don't have a lightbox so maybe that would have helped. Anyway it is the thought that counts):

IMG_5243.JPG

IMG_5244.JPG

Both have a safety bar with scalloped rims and both appear to curve the blade in a similar fashion. Although the cap is very different at eye sight I see a similar curve. Also the slight bent upwards on the baseplate has similarities. Technically speaking the blade is more clamped with the GC2.II compared to the Blackbird, but as both @Raven Koenes and I have experienced I would say the clamping in the Blackbird is rigid too with more audio feedback as the cap is obviously much thinner than the GC2.II.

So the difference is blade gap is "only" 0.07mm while blade exposure is the same. Will they also shave the same?

Summary of results

DateRazorBladeQualityComfortEffectiveness
20.01.2024Greencult 2.0 IIKCG (10)10109.25
BlackbirdKCG (18)1099.25
01.02.2024BlackbirdGillette Blue Blade (1)769
06.02.2024Greencult 2.0 IIGillette Blue Blade (6)1078.75
08.02.2024Greencult 2.0 IIGillette Blue Blade (8)1078.75
11.02.2024Blackbird / GC2.IIGillette Blue Blade (11)9.579

Average Blackbird

Average GC2.II

Notes

Purely based on overall results I would be inclined to give this comparison to the Greencult, but I have to take the mediocre blade into account that I am currently using in OBiF. Using a top blade (for me) like the KCG both razors perform admirably with marbleous skin feel. If I look at the design of both razors I would be inclined to choose the Blackbird, because of the (ever so slightly) smaller blade gap. I don´t know, but there is something 'safer' about this blade gap compared to the GC2.II. And if I take today's results into account I would say that the Blackbird side of my face ATG was smoother than the GC2.II side, especially in the moustache area. The blade also felt a notch harsher in the GC2.II this morning.

Both razors are capable of delivering a very close and comfortable shave with no drama. Both are daily drivers as well. I think the feel and results are very similar indeed. The Blackbird wins it in terms of design and overall feel / weight. It feels light when operating and is therefore very manourable around my face. In the same ballpark as my Ti95 which is obviously lighter, but - weird I know - not in feel. The handle is gorgeous and projects a lot of confidence to the user even if your hands are wet. The OEM handle on the GC2.II is anything but a confidence builder in my view. There is knurling there, but it is not as pronounced and the handle jus feels bulky. Not bad at all on the whole, I just think there are much better alternatives.

If you are looking for a close shave in the ballpark of the Blackbird the Greencult 2.0 is a safe bet and will leave you with money on the table for additional plates if you want a more modular choice akin Karve CB and Rockwell 6C/S or for something completely different. There is also a Greencult 1.1 with the same blade gap and blade exposure as the GC2.II, but with a rounded cap rather than a prismatic cap. I think that will resemble the Blackbird performance even more (pure guestimate on my side). That said, to me there is something about the Blackbird that I cannot readily explain, but I just want to use it over and over again. It will never detrone my Ti95, but it is definitely a runner up.

Luckily for us there is a perfect solution to this potential challenge between razors: rotation.

That's an encouraging result for those of us in Europe, where Blackland razors come with additional shipping / taxes that can make them prohibitively expensive for all but the most ardent razor aficionados. No doubt though that the Blackland is the sexy looker of the two!

Iridian

Cool and slimy
By now I prefer the Blackbird, but with the SB plate. I originally got it with the OC plate, but ordered the SB plate as I didn't get quite along with it.

I wonder about the comfort rating, actually the Blackbird SHOULD be more comfortable, IMO. I also don't get the difference between quality and efficiency, not sure what you rate there.

The thing is, I used and still do shave steep, very steep most of the time. Some claim they do so with the Blackbird and love it, but the Blackbird likes a more shallow angle. This is particularly true for the OC, one rams the teeth into the skin with a steep angle.

I noticed to get a lasting clean shave, the ATG pass of the Blackbird is very important, focus on this pass and let the sound of the blade guide you.

I got the Green Cult V2 with the IV plate, it's quite a beast, but gives a very good shave, but comfort and ease of use is not really there. All in all I clearly prefer the Blackbird by now, with the SB plate. I wonder that there is a Blackbird Mild plate, and not rather a Blackbird A. It's a very safe medium aggressive razor.

I got my Blackbird with an extra long handle, just as I like it. The GC 2.0 has this weird short-medium length heavy handle that just doesn't do it for me.

Raven Koenes

My precious!
By now I prefer the Blackbird, but with the SB plate. I originally got it with the OC plate, but ordered the SB plate as I didn't get quite along with it.

I wonder about the comfort rating, actually the Blackbird SHOULD be more comfortable, IMO. I also don't get the difference between quality and efficiency, not sure what you rate there.

The thing is, I used and still do shave steep, very steep most of the time. Some claim they do so with the Blackbird and love it, but the Blackbird likes a more shallow angle. This is particularly true for the OC, one rams the teeth into the skin with a steep angle.

I noticed to get a lasting clean shave, the ATG pass of the Blackbird is very important, focus on this pass and let the sound of the blade guide you.

I got the Green Cult V2 with the IV plate, it's quite a beast, but gives a very good shave, but comfort and ease of use is not really there. All in all I clearly prefer the Blackbird by now, with the SB plate. I wonder that there is a Blackbird Mild plate, and not rather a Blackbird A. It's a very safe medium aggressive razor.

I got my Blackbird with an extra long handle, just as I like it. The GC 2.0 has this weird short-medium length heavy handle that just doesn't do it for me.
I have the Blackbird Lite plate. It's not what I'd call mild. It has positive blade exposure. It is like SB plate with less edge. It is my current favorite Blackbird plate. I suspect if I was using the SB plate that would be my favorite. I agree with you about the OC plate.

There is blade dependency to be factored in I think. You can find my scoring scales here if you want further details. Quality for me is if the shave is worth it without injuries. Comfort is more about the condition of the blade than the razor itself. Finally effectiveness is the end result of the shave. Efficiency I no longer score as I shave the same amount of time each day or pretty much the same amount.

You are right about the GC2.IV which has almost twice the blade gap compared to the Blackbird and also twice the exposure.

I need to do some comparisons with the GC1 as well I think for a fuller picture.

Cheers,

Guido

Technically speaking the blade is more clamped with the GC2.II compared to the Blackbird

Nice image of sideview of both razor heads. I am actually amazed at the, what it seems, complete absence of clamping in BB. The top cap just pushes and bends the blade down. Wow.

On the other hand, from the images, I always thought that Greencult v2.0 is probably one of the razors (if not the one) with the most pronounced clamping and blade support. Like what Henson would be, if they increased/broaden the clamping ridge in its head assembly. Again by visual comparison for instance Henson and Muramasa (both known for good clamping) seem to have poorer clamping if we go by visual comparison alone of the surfaces actually doing the clamping and supporting the blade. Blade reveal is like from Henson but clamping surfaces like from Muramasa. I see greencult as best of both worlds in that specific regard.

That there is no significant difference in perceived blade chatter between BB and Greencult v2.0, razors for which it seems that are as far apart in blade clamping aspect as they can be, I find it really interesting.

Last edited:

Iridian

Cool and slimy
The Blackbird is the enigma of the clamping faction. It often shaves better than a lot of razors with much more blade clamping.

In general I personally believe in firm blade clamping, but this is just one of many examples that showed me that razor head geometry and shaving angle are more than just engineering but almost a form of art. Even with experience with dozens of different razors predicting the characteristics of a razor head is very raw guesswork.

complete absence of clamping in BB. The top cap just pushes and bends the blade down.
Yeah, it just makes use of the spring action inside the blade to keep it tight against the cap. Which then actually is an engineering design feat. The open space between blade and baseplate provides for great lather disposal channels. Again great thinking on Shane’s @Blackland Razors part. I think it is a stunning razor.

With you on that James. They command high prices in Europe or EU indeed. If sourced brand new and directly from Blackland. Which is all on the system and not Blackland to be clear to those outside of the EU.

Absolutely - it's down to local tax regimes, not the razor manufacturers.

It is also inefficient (and therefore stupid) in the purely economic sense. If the UK government wasn't charging enough import tax to increase the cost of a Blackbird by 50% above the sticker price then I would have bought one last year. As it is, I didn't. As a result, nobody wins - I don't get a Blackbird, Blackland miss out on a sale and the UK government makes £0 tax a result.

But it doesn't only work one way. I have seen more than one instance of folks in the USA avoiding the purchase of EU razors for exactly the same reasons. Free trade in principle. Punitive taxation in practice!

Enough politics!

I still want a Blackbird...one day! :laugh:

Iridian

Cool and slimy
@Goblin no trade agreement between UK and USA? UK-EU sales are problematic as well by now, they even put customs on t-shirts, or rather no customs, but they don't hold back to involve customs to collect every penny of VAT.

Before I get too much into politics, the tax department must be up to something, they didn't **** me off yet in 2024. But I am prepared...!

I already have a Blackbird and yeah, you should get one.

I like the Vector, but as many might know, I want it polished... 😁 ... with a stand. So a Le Maurice and a Yaqi Bohemia are more likely to happen before I get one.

My shave tonight will be with a Tatara Masamune Nodachi OC.

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
I do find these comparisons interesting. I used the Green Cult 2.0 Level 2 for a few months for most of my shaves during a 7 week travel period last year. I found it to be an excellent razor for me..... just the right efficiency. Before Guido got his Blackbird, along with Cal, Rave and Sweeney, I thought it was way more efficient than I needed in its standard form... the Lite did peak my interest but the comparisons with the Green Cult 2.0 L2 have made it easier to evaluate.

Thanks, Guido. As I've thought about Blackland razors over the past month or so, I think it's more likely I'd get a Vector with the Lite base plate before the Blackbird. My Blutt BR-1 1.20 is the reason I sold my Green Cult 2.0 L2. For me, the Blutt is a tad smoother, yet gives me the same efficiency. That's the only reason I no longer have the GC... It's a fine razor across the board. YMMV, of course. That does mean I would probably do well with the Blackbird.

This is why B&B is or can be so valuable. When you end up with a few razors in common, you can understand what others are saying in their reviews. For me, that takes a lot of the guess work out of trying to determine where I am along the journey and helps set the path for the future.

Interesting new info that I thought was appropriate to mention here also.

@Cal and @Rosseforp (✝️) made better and more detailed photos of the Blackbird’s head including measures.

You can find Cal’s post
here on measurements - and I deduce from his numbers that polishing the Blackbird takes off about 4 grams of metal as mine is lighter than 93 grams.

Blade exposure is measured at .22mm whereas the Kickstarter page lists .101mm. That’s more or less double from what it used to be. At least apparently as Shane mentions on his Blackland website that (emphasis added):

“I launched the Blackbird razor on Kickstarter in the summer of 2015. Since then, we've sold thousands of them to people all over the world. The design hasn't changed. It's still that same razor that I stumbled into by trial and error in my college apartment.”

If the .22mm is more correct than that would place the Blackbird more in the ball park with the Greencult 1.0 that has a blade gap of .95 and an exposure of .25 - the Blackbird’s gap is obviously smaller than that which might explain - at least to me - that I find the Greencult 1 a very different beast from both the GC2.II and the Blackbird.

The Blackbird is the enigma of the clamping faction. It often shaves better than a lot of razors with much more blade clamping.

I don't like razors with poor blade clamping as well and I also prefer steep angle razors instead of shallow and ''neutral'' angles, but I find the Ti Blackbird SB to be my favorite razor along with the Ti Yates 921 with the scalloped EH plate. The blade clamping on the Yates isn't perfect either, but it's very efficient, smooth and the best of all - it works perfectly at very steep angle. I have used razors like Blutt 1.20 that have one of the best blade clamping I've ever seen, but the razor itself is just too mild for me and I have to ''force'' it to get a BBS.

I still buy new razors from time to time, but if those two had better blade clamping, I would have probably stopped looking for anything else. Then again, I can do it right now, but where's the fun in that? I guess there's just no way to have a perfect razor that ticks absolutely every box from weight, to visual design, head geometry, efficiency, angle preference, blade support, handle preference etc. etc. etc.

@JAHE - Guido I just saw your SOTD with the GC2.II and I think the day before was the Brassbird. So curious to know your views and experiences with these fine razors?

Thanks!

Guido
You are correct. 👍

In a nutshell, these razors are very different animals. The Brassbird (OC) sports a higher level of blade feel and is superior in terms of efficiency.

Today, a was looking for a mild and easy shave ( since yesterday's shave with the OC Brassbird was a very close one). The GC w/ II baseplate and a Gillette Platinum, which already had lost it's initial keenness after the first two outings, met my expectations.

Iridian

Cool and slimy
I still buy new razors from time to time, but if those two had better blade clamping, I would have probably stopped looking for anything else. Then again, I can do it right now, but where's the fun in that? I guess there's just no way to have a perfect razor that ticks absolutely every box from weight, to visual design, head geometry, efficiency, angle preference, blade support, handle preference etc. etc. etc.
You might also be surprised how much you might like a razor even if you are highly sceptical or don't expect it.

For instance, I held back a very long time to get a Lambda razor, now I have both Ares and Athena. They are mild, for crying out loud, but they shave marvelously nice and give a very efficient shave. There are a few razors that are even more efficient, but the combo of so mild but efficient is truly amazing.

There are some other razors people might not suspect that I love as well, for instance the Timeless Slim 0.5 is a bit like marmite, most simply prefer the .95, but I love it a lot. It is the razor to clean up anything, it's extremely capable, but also rather harsh than smooth cutting, so many don't like it.

Now the Yaqi Mellon SS and Harlequin totally surprised me, both are fantastic. The Mellon surprised me even more so, as it is a mild razor, but I love it nevertheless. I wish the shave would last a bit longer, but it feels good, is extremely secure and the BBS is there. Just doesn't quite last as long as for many other razors.

Then there are the Razorock slants, Wunderbar and Superslants. Both are very amazing designs, I barely feel the Wunderbar cutting, the steeper shaving Superslant gives me a bit more tactile feedback, so I prefer it a bit. It's a very special feeling and way of shaving.

Then there is the Yaqi Romulus, which looks like a Vector but shaves much milder. It inspired me to get a Vector soom (tm).

And then there are beautiful disappointments. The Boti Vortex is my most pretty razor, made of polished titanium. And the head is among my least favorite heads, actually its pretty terrible. Wish they would have just copied a proven head design and done their fancy thing!

Of course collecting razors can also become boring, in this case I do my collection cycle: Razor - Flashlight - Trailrunning shoes / Hiking boots - Video Games. Repeat. And don't forget to read some books in between.

Top Bottom