What's new

Razor wars - Blackland Blackbird versus Greencult 2.0 II

Really? Super interesting. I found the SS Blackbird to have a similar feel to the GC2.II. I guess we used YMMV as lather :laugh: which could explain the difference!

I need to test them with a fresh Gillette Platinum indeed.

Thanks,

Guido
I haven't tried a side by side shave with the SS Blackbird SB and the GC 2.0 / II SB. Perhaps I should.

I'd agree, though, that the SB Bird is closer to the GC2.II in terms of blade feel and efficiency than the OC Bird.

The OC bird (both SS and brass) is a very (!) capable tool when effective stubble reduction is needed.

I haven't tried a side by side shave with the SS Blackbird SB and the GC 2.0 / II SB. Perhaps I should.

I'd agree, though, that the SB Bird is closer to the GC2.II in terms of blade feel and efficiency than the OC Bird.

The OC bird (both SS and brass) is a very (!) capable tool when effective stubble reduction is needed.
O yes! Your Brassbird was an OC! Sorry forgot. Then I can totally understand the difference in feel and efficiency. Reminds me that I need to put the OC plate for the Greencult on my list for 2025!

Last edited:
Both razors are quite different, but I get similar end result from both of them and the only thing they have in common is that they are both very efficient and quite smooth. It also depends on how do you find the Blackbird, because for me it's an absolute autopilot razor and I can do as many passes as I want without getting even a bit of irritation, let alone nicks, cuts or weepers. For me, the Yates EH is also very easy to use razor, but it requires just a little attention and a very light touch.

I use the Yates at a very steep angle, but I suspect that the razor might work with different angles as well too, but I have found my goldilocks and have no reason to experiment. Most folks find the Yates H more than enough, but I was brave enough to jump straight on the EH plate and it didn't disappoint. I've heard that the M plate is quite mild and very few people like it, so based on my observations alone, I wouldn't recommend it, unless of course you enjoy mild and not very efficient razors.

Truth is, I never really wanted to try the Yates 921, because the head design didn't appeal to me and also because, very few handles from other brands can fit into the tight head, but even if they don't get into the end, they will still hold the head nice and tight, but it kinda looks ugly. The reason why I decided to pull the trigger, was because I've read a lot of comments from people who like their Blackbirds and according to them, if you really enjoy using your Blackbird and want something similar in terms of efficiency and smoothness, but with a very steep angle, then the Yates is for you.

Obviously, I cannot give you any guarantees that you will enjoy the Yates 921, but if you find one for sale with the H plate and the price is right, I'd say go for it or just buy a new one like I did.

I'm very keen to buy a Blackland Blackbird, steel or titanium version, but I don't see any online stores in Europe stocking it at the moment.
If anyone knows of a dealer in Europe who sells this razor, please direct me to them.

And if those in the know can tell, how does the efficiency of the Blackland Blackbird with a closed comb compare to that of the Muhle Rocca?

I'm very keen to buy a Blackland Blackbird, steel or titanium version, but I don't see any online stores in Europe stocking it at the moment.
If anyone knows of a dealer in Europe who sells this razor, please direct me to them.

And if those in the know can tell, how does the efficiency of the Blackland Blackbird with a closed comb compare to that of the Muhle Rocca?
As far as I know there are no Blackbird vendors in Europe anymore. If you want one you either need to source it directly from Blackland or look out for a BST / Bay specimen.

I may need more shaves with the Blackbird but I would say they are in the same ballpark in terms of effectiveness. The Rocca has a bigger blade gap and less blade exposure. I would say it is the milder of the two. Phenomenal razor by the way!

As far as I know there are no Blackbird vendors in Europe anymore. If you want one you either need to source it directly from Blackland or look out for a BST / Bay specimen.

I may need more shaves with the Blackbird but I would say they are in the same ballpark in terms of effectiveness. The Rocca has a bigger blade gap and less blade exposure. I would say it is the milder of the two. Phenomenal razor by the way!
I was considering ordering direct from Blackland, the price is decent, but the extra costs from the US to Europe, such as duty, VAT and courier, make the price almost double. I know that the line between enthusiasm and stupidity is very thin and I try not to cross it. So I refrain from ordering from the US

I was considering ordering direct from Blackland, the price is decent, but the extra costs from the US to Europe, such as duty, VAT and courier, make the price almost double. I know that the line between enthusiasm and stupidity is very thin and I try not to cross it. So I refrain from ordering from the US
Fully understandable. You best option is watching local auction sites. The Blackbird actually surfaces with certain intervals on German second hand sites. I just checked but only baseplates at the moment and the cap cannot be acquired separately.

The Greencult is easily acquired here of course. And so is the Rocca.

The Blackbird actually surfaces with certain intervals on German second hand sites.
May I ask for recommendation which German wet shaving forum is good for buying used razor? I'm registered (without post only for looking sales section, because I fully understand german but I'm not so used to write and find this forum on much better level for sharing experience and learning) on Forum der Razur de
Is there any better one?

By now I prefer the Blackbird, but with the SB plate. I originally got it with the OC plate, but ordered the SB plate as I didn't get quite along with it.

I wonder about the comfort rating, actually the Blackbird SHOULD be more comfortable, IMO. I also don't get the difference between quality and efficiency, not sure what you rate there.

The thing is, I used and still do shave steep, very steep most of the time. Some claim they do so with the Blackbird and love it, but the Blackbird likes a more shallow angle. This is particularly true for the OC, one rams the teeth into the skin with a steep angle.

I noticed to get a lasting clean shave, the ATG pass of the Blackbird is very important, focus on this pass and let the sound of the blade guide you.

I got the Green Cult V2 with the IV plate, it's quite a beast, but gives a very good shave, but comfort and ease of use is not really there. All in all I clearly prefer the Blackbird by now, with the SB plate. I wonder that there is a Blackbird Mild plate, and not rather a Blackbird A. It's a very safe medium aggressive razor.

I got my Blackbird with an extra long handle, just as I like it. The GC 2.0 has this weird short-medium length heavy handle that just doesn't do it for me.
Hello!
How would you compare the efficiency of the Blackbird with a closed comb versus that of the Razorock Superslant L3 also with a closed comb? Which razor do you think is more effective?

Iridian

Cool and slimy
I wouldn't want to compare them on this basis. The Superslant can get closer, shaving characteristics are very different, though.
The main difference is the angle, the Blackbird likes a more shallow angle, the Superslant a steeper one.

May I ask for recommendation which German wet shaving forum is good for buying used razor? I'm registered (without post only for looking sales section, because I fully understand german but I'm not so used to write and find this forum on much better level for sharing experience and learning) on Forum der Razur de
Is there any better one?
In German not that I am aware of (better than what you mentioned), but I was actually referring to publicly accessible website like ebay.de or Kleinanzeigen.de - you might want to save a search there to help you along.

By now I prefer the Blackbird, but with the SB plate. I originally got it with the OC plate, but ordered the SB plate as I didn't get quite along with it.

I wonder about the comfort rating, actually the Blackbird SHOULD be more comfortable, IMO. I also don't get the difference between quality and efficiency, not sure what you rate there.

The thing is, I used and still do shave steep, very steep most of the time. Some claim they do so with the Blackbird and love it, but the Blackbird likes a more shallow angle. This is particularly true for the OC, one rams the teeth into the skin with a steep angle.

I noticed to get a lasting clean shave, the ATG pass of the Blackbird is very important, focus on this pass and let the sound of the blade guide you.

I got the Green Cult V2 with the IV plate, it's quite a beast, but gives a very good shave, but comfort and ease of use is not really there. All in all I clearly prefer the Blackbird by now, with the SB plate. I wonder that there is a Blackbird Mild plate, and not rather a Blackbird A. It's a very safe medium aggressive razor.

I got my Blackbird with an extra long handle, just as I like it. The GC 2.0 has this weird short-medium length heavy handle that just doesn't do it for me.
Great advise on the Bkackbird.

I like this razor wars a lot, if you are interested @Guido75 I can send you for some time testing (and for some next razor war) Yates 921 with H plate when I finally have it one day. It is not so popular choice here on forum, but looks like people who have it like it very much.

I like this razor wars a lot
Thanks Tomas! Me too and it keeps me away from buying more which is a nice bonus for me. As well as giving me a nice rotation to work with.
I like this razor wars a lot, if you are interested @Guido75 I can send you for some time testing (and for some next razor war) Yates 921 with H plate when I finally have it one day. It is not so popular choice here on forum, but looks like people who have it like it very much.
The H plate has a gap of .04” which would be 0.1mm - I would not necessarily call that High, but the exposure is positive - so that should be effective. At least that’s what I read from other reviews and experiences.

Looking forward to your own experiences with that razor. Did you get the stainless or brass version? They are harder to come by on our side.

Cheers,

Guido

Thanks Tomas! Me too and it keeps me away from buying more which is a nice bonus for me. As well as giving me a nice rotation to work with.
That's very helpful... I have more razors as I can use in proper time to really find all about them..
The H plate has a gap of .04” which would be 0.1mm - I would not necessarily call that High, but the exposure is positive - so that should be effective. At least that’s what I read from other reviews and experiences.
I believe H plate has blade gap 1.024mm and positive blade exposure 0.0762 mm
Looking forward to your own experiences with that razor. Did you get the stainless or brass version? They are harder to come by on our side.

Cheers,

Guido
I ordered H scalloped plate 921 with short and fat handle. All in titanium. But still waiting. Now is 7th week from order, it looks they have lot to do.

I believe H plate has blade gap 1.024mm and positive blade exposure 0.0762 mm
Ah yes you are right! I was converting it to cm! Ok that’s a serious gap and exposure - relative to the GC2.IV if I remember correctly.

Titanium should make for a splendid razor…provided you actually getting it of course! Crossing my fingers you do!

Cheers,

Guido

First I've heard of GC 2.0 having an open comb coming out so I am all ears... A IV OC plate will definitely be on my radar if/when it is released.
Readily available at fairschenkt. Or are you looking at Italian Barber? I think you can order directly from Greencult in Austria. If that’s too much hassle let me know - I am in Europe so Austria is easier to contact here.

Cheers,

Guido

Top Bottom