(details here)
Blade Sharpness
10/10 (Clean)4/10 (Sharp Edge)
EffectivenessShave Comfort
8/10
(DFS+)
9/10 (Butterysmooth)

Notes:

Summary. Smooth and comfortable shave. No fuzz. The combination of razor and blade is very mild to me.

Razor and blade. Decided to join John @cajunrph so he wouldn’t “suffer” alone. Second use which usually means this blade smooths out. This blade is about as polarising as The Veg (or maybe some would even prefer the Veg over the blade). I wouldn’t know, because I haven’t tried The Veg. I do know the blade is razor picky. It is either too mild or brilliant - really almost nothing in between. Fantastic shaves for example with the Lambda Athena and Tiger Platinum. Tiger Superior (the stainless version) is no fun at all. I remember that as a one and done (one and don’t ). The razor of choice was a last year score and steel at a vintage fair. It is a nice and comfortable shaver. Also quite mild depending on the blade and today was definitely a testament to that. Very mild and so I needed some airbag touch ups to get to smoothness levels I like to have (I can be OCD about result levels and below DFS essential only works for me when I am either rushed or don’t care). The combination was really smooth and wonderful. Effectiveness slightly less than I expected, but as said this razor has been pretty mild in all shaves in my experience.

Brush and lather. My statistics told me the T3 was getting less airtime lately so easy pick. Very nice brush. Great lather as I have come to expect from Mike’s.

Technique. Did standard passes again today which worked nicely with this razor and blade. I might go back to my mapping pattern but for now results are fine so why change right?

Enjoy your shave!

Date22.03.2024
366 daily shaves
082/366

RazorBladeBrush
Gillette Rocket HD500Tiger Platinum (2)Simpson T3
PreshaveSoapPostshave
Cold splash
KCG Face Wash
Mike’s Natural Soaps Barbershop (63)
Cold splash
Proraso Green
Balm

PassesWTG XTG ATG and touch up
Process Quality
(details here)
Blade Sharpness
8/10
(DFS+)
9/10 (Butterysmooth)

Notes:

Summary. Smooth and comfortable shave. No fuzz. The combination of razor and blade is very mild to me.

Razor and blade. Decided to join John @cajunrph so he wouldn’t “suffer” alone. Second use which usually means this blade smooths out. This blade is about as polarising as The Veg (or maybe some would even prefer the Veg over the blade). I wouldn’t know, because I haven’t tried The Veg. I do know the blade is razor picky. It is either too mild or brilliant - really almost nothing in between. Fantastic shaves for example with the Lambda Athena and Tiger Platinum. Tiger Superior (the stainless version) is no fun at all. I remember that as a one and done (one and don’t ). The razor of choice was a last year score and steel at a vintage fair. It is a nice and comfortable shaver. Also quite mild depending on the blade and today was definitely a testament to that. Very mild and so I needed some airbag touch ups to get to smoothness levels I like to have (I can be OCD about result levels and below DFS essential only works for me when I am either rushed or don’t care). The combination was really smooth and wonderful. Effectiveness slightly less than I expected, but as said this razor has been pretty mild in all shaves in my experience.

Brush and lather. My statistics told me the T3 was getting less airtime lately so easy pick. Very nice brush. Great lather as I have come to expect from Mike’s.

Technique. Did standard passes again today which worked nicely with this razor and blade. I might go back to my mapping pattern but for now results are fine so why change right?

Enjoy your shave!
My experience was mostly what you had, not too bad, not overly great. I resisted the urge to chase BBS this first shave, the sea lions are happy I left them alone today. I was able to achieve a very close shave in the end. I would not rank this blade above the Lord or Dorco blades and nowhere close to the GSB. But it got the job done for the first shave. Thanks for joining me on this shave @Guido75. 4 more to go for me, Boris (@blethenstrom) should be along shortly. @Balin, do you want in on the fun??

My experience was mostly what you had, not too bad, not overly great. I resisted the urge to chase BBS this first shave, the sea lions are happy I left them alone today. I was able to achieve a very close shave in the end. I would not rank this blade above the Lord or Dorco blades and nowhere close to the GSB. But it got the job done for the first shave. Thanks for joining me on this shave @Guido75. 4 more to go for me, Boris (@blethenstrom) should be along shortly. @Balin, do you want in on the fun??
Do It Duck GIF by DefyTV

I triple dog dare ya!

Date23.03.2024
366 daily shaves
083/366

RazorBladeBrush
Lambda AthenaASCO (5)Simpson T3
PreshaveSoapPostshave
Cold splash
KCG Face Wash
Mike’s Natural Soaps Barbershop (64)
Cold splash
Proraso Green
Balm

Process Quality
(details here)
Blade Sharpness
9/10
(BBS)
9/10 (Butterysmooth)

Notes:

Summary. Final run with the ASCO blade. It had the potential for more, but another blade is waiting in line. The razor ensured a superb parting gift.

Razor and blade. A very nice combination I must say. Of course the Athena is a mega clamping razor so that helps, but the blade is definitely growing on me. I would say generally speaking on par with Racer, but I think the ASCO is a little sharper overall. I agree with @Quaznoid that I never had a bad shave with a Lord blade and in that sense I think these are serious contenders for the Gillette family of blades. That’s no knock on Gillette at all by the way. It just to know there are alternatives. Haven’t binned the blade just yet. I think it deserves some extra shaves.

Brush and lather. One of @Balin ‘s boar brushes. Plenty of backbone this morning which turned into nice splayed softness after two dunks in water. I purposely lathered longer in the first pass to soften up the beard. Lovely!

Technique. Another straightforward shave regarding passes used. This pattern can deliver similar shaves to my growth map pattern and is actually easier to apply. I somehow manage to follow through on the jaw line to the neck better with this N-S pattern combined with bullfrogging my cheeks and tucking in my chin. Very nice.

Enjoy your shave!

Date24.03.2024
366 daily shaves
084/366

RazorBladeBrush
Razorine FlatboyTiger Platinum (3)FNX Barber Boar
PreshaveSoapPostshave
Cold splash
KCG Face Wash
Mike’s Natural Soaps Barbershop (65)
Cold splash
Proraso Green
Balm

Process Quality
(details here)
Blade Sharpness
10/10 (Clean)3/10 (Working Edge)
8.25/10
(DFS++)
7/10 (Comfortable)

Notes:

Summary. No frills comfortable shave. The blade felt less effective today.

Razor and blade. Autopilot movement but by no means an autopilot razor. Blade on a stick is more like it. This is my most blade forward razor. I like it a lot. The blade is in support of John @cajunrph again. He is using an adjustable or Tech. I choose a modern razor given upcoming Vintage April, so I am giving my modern razors some extra airtime as they won’t be out until May. The Tiger and the Flatboy are an excellent match. Blade felt slightly less sharp today possible because of switching razors - my experience is that if you use a Tiger use it in the same razor for a number of shaves. There was also less stubble compared to yesterday so that might have influenced the results as well.

Brush and lather. My biggest knot by far and it is starting to break in also around the edges. Great brush actually that I just picked up while getting Arko at the supermarket. Superb lather.

Technique. The Flatboy is actually one of those razors that you must focus on. So using on autopilot shave stroke is excellent. Lather was slick and so the razor has a nice glide. I also notice that my shave results are all in the same ballpark usually with marginal variations in closeness. That’s was concentrating on technique brings me.

Enjoy your shave!

I'm not one of "The Chosen" when it comes to "The Veg" but I love the Stephan Lilac. :)
I think I will spend my life wondering if I am Chosen or not, but I am also not going to find out on my own! Haha! My preshave has orchid in it and it’s borderline ok for me. I had kind of hoped it was either more unscented or more towards bergamot. No fault of the producer by the way. I think the description is fair in that sense scents.

After applying aftershave and balm I actually would rate the shave with the Flatboy BBS. My hands were rough from working in the garden yesterday so I need to attend to those more too. BBS is actually my expectation from the Flatboy paired with a Tiger.
I did notice in my shave today the that on the first pass I had more stubble against the goatee than I usually do after the first pass, but in the end this was the best of the three shaves so far for the Tiger, and I did nothing different. Is it the Tech or the blade getting better, tough call. I happy there no bloodbath as @Balin was so concerned about. Our shave experiences almost seem identical so far.

in the end this was the best of the three shaves so far for the Tiger
Same here John. 3-5 is usually the max with this blade. I have had occasions where I was able to push it to 7 or even 11 if I remember correctly, but I think that was with honing/stropping the blade - need to check my notes.

But one thing is certain - it’s no bloodbath blade. At all. I like them better than Astra’s and I know that’s YMMV.

Looking very much forward to April for more than one reason. First it’s Vintage April so bringing out the golden oldies of wet shaving and I think I am extending the brush empire.

My mom just send me this picture of the finalised brushes my dad made me :001_wub: :

View attachment 1816897

From left to right:

@apshaveco SilkSmoke
@apshaveco Synbad
Mühle STF 25mm
@apshaveco G5C

These will be awesome next to my @Balin Plissoft Triade.

Wow! Your father has some serious skills!! Those look fantastic and super comfortable. Cograts! You brush game just went waaaay up my friend.

Great knot choices, I'm psyched you're adding the 25mm STF, you are going to love it.

Wow! Your father has some serious skills!! Those look fantastic and super comfortable. Cograts! You brush game just went waaaay up my friend.

Great knot choices, I'm psyched you're adding the 25mm STF, you are going to love it.
Thanks Adam. What he can see (eyes or mind) he can make. I usually can only see things :lol1:

Funny thing is that he’s got the shaving brush handle virus now so he’s considering making a series.

I am definitely looking forward to that STF and I am curious about the G5C as well. Andrew from Apshaveco helped me out in choosing the right knots for me.

Cheers,

Guido

Top Bottom