What's new

Which one should I use for my first DE shave?

Hello All,

So, I was gifted a Supply Razor for Christmas, along with some other accoutrements: Fine shaving soap American Blend, Fine Aftershave American blend, a synthetic brush (not sure which brand), and an alum block. The reason I was gifted the Supply and not a traditional DE razor was that I had specifically asked for it for Christmas, not knowing anything at all about wet shaving. I had simply seen an ad for it on instagram and was intrigued, and that's that.

Well, in an effort to learn how to use the razor I ended up discovering this site and have spent the days since Christmas reading thru all of the fantastic threads and of course the wiki. I am now officially "down the rabbit hole".

So, I ordered an Edwin Jagger DE 89 as my first DE razor, but yesterday I was at the local antique mall and found a Gillette Tech (1954 I think) with the original box and three original blades! And since I see a lot of people recommend Gillette Tech's as a good beginner razor, I had to grab it.

Now I'm trying to decide which razor to use for my first DE shave? I think I will use the Gillette Tech with the original blades, for nostalgia's sake!

I wanted to make this post (my first) just to share my very short journey so far into wet shaving and how excited I am to learn more about this craft (I know, famous last words haha).

Thank you to everyone on this site for all of the great information I have learned from so far!

Here is a pic of the Gillette Tech I found yesterday. It's absolutely MINT btw.
IMG_0197.jpg

Great plan.

That Tech you found is beautiful, and will give you a lifetime of great shaves...of course there are many other distractions, some of which are worthy of consideration, though many unnecessary. You'll find your happy place.

Just have fun.
Haha, I can see how easy it is to accumulate a large collection of razors! But as a beginner I will just (try) to stick with the Tech for the time being while I hone my technique.

Just to be clear:

I used the word "ditch" in a broad sense.

Of course, if you aren't going to use the blades put them (unopened) in the razor box and tuck the box in a drawer or closet...but the only way to try a blade is to open a blade.

The blades aren't collector's items, at least not to me, and opening one to try it is worth the "cost" to satisfy MY curiosity.

You should be able to find a blade that works well in the Tech. You may also find some DE blades at dollar stores and maybe at a pharmacy, but the pharmacy ones will be expensive. In either case they will be Personna or Dorco blades as those seem to be the common ones re-branded for stores. Good blades in either case, and the Personna blades will work nicely since they are fractionally wider than most.

Have fun!

You should be able to find a blade that works well in the Tech. You may also find some DE blades at dollar stores and maybe at a pharmacy, but the pharmacy ones will be expensive. In either case they will be Personna or Dorco blades as those seem to be the common ones re-branded for stores. Good blades in either case, and the Personna blades will work nicely since they are fractionally wider than most.

Have fun!
Thanks for the advice! Hopefully I find a blade I like in the sample pack i ordered

Top Bottom