What's new

My first razors and the start of my wet shaving journey

I would like to share my experience of transitioning to wet shaving. I am grateful to you all for helping me make the right choices, and I want to express my gratitude through this post.

I had always used plastic cartridge razors for my shaves, as I'm sure many of you can relate to. Shaving was never a pleasant experience, but rather a necessity. I became interested in DE razors as they looked much more elegant and stylish than modern ones, but I never researched the subject. One day, while I was buying some cartridges for my razor in a store, I spotted a Wilkinson Classic (the plastic version) which cost only 5 euros. Intrigued by the low price and my interest in DE razors, I decided to give it a try.

When I got home, without any prior research, I went straight to the bathroom, applied some shaving foam to my beard, and tried the Wilkinson DE razor. I expected cuts and burns, but to my surprise, I got the best shave I had ever had. I was instantly hooked.
Over the next few days, I read hundreds of threads on this forum and other places to learn more about wet shaving. I realized that I needed a real safety razor, so I searched for the best one and decided on the Muhle R89 Twist, which cost me 50 euros. I was very excited to receive it. (I also bought shaving cream from Proraso, a cheap brush with boar hair from Nom, and Proraso aftershave)

However, when it arrived, I was disappointed to find that it had a manufacturing problem. The part that twists to open the head was unscrewing and detached itself from the razor, making it impossible to open the head. I returned it and got a refund, but the real problem was the build quality of this so-called "premium razor." The metal was very thin, and the interior looked cheap. So I started my research all over again to find a good and reliable razor.

WhatsApp Image 2024-02-20 at 17.52.01.jpeg
WhatsApp Image 2024-02-20 at 17.52.01(1).jpeg

Thanks to the advice of this forum, I discovered the old but gold Gillette razors and found an online store where I bought a Gillette Super Speed from 1967 for 25 euros. Although I don't have much experience, this is only my second razor, but it is incredible. For any beginner out there, I have to tell you that you can't go wrong with a razor like this. It feels and looks infinitely better than my broken Muhle. You can feel the build quality in every inch of the machine. The twist-to-open mechanism is pure finesse, and you feel like a lord when you put the blade in and then close it. It's incredible how these machines work flawlessly despite their age, while new brands charge you 50+ euros for a metal rod and a screw.

WhatsApp Image 2024-02-20 at 17.52.02(1).jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2024-02-20 at 17.52.03.jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2024-02-20 at 17.52.03(1).jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2024-02-20 at 17.52.04(1).jpeg
WhatsApp Image 2024-02-20 at 17.52.04.jpeg

As for the shave that this little guy offers, again, I don't have much experience, but I can't imagine a better shave than this. At first, I thought that the razor was broken because I didn't feel anything. It's like it's floating; you don't feel anything when it passes, but it cuts everything. The weight is perfect, and you can control it effortlessly. I didn't get a single cut from it, and I am an absolute beginner. From my second pass, my face was clean, and the shave was really close to the skin. (I use Astra blades. For the first shave with my new razor, I used the blade that was in my plastic Wilkinson, so you cannot attribute the quality of the shave to the blade.)

Thank you very much for all the information and dedication that you put into this forum. It is truly a goldmine for everyone interested in this topic! I hope that my story will encourage anyone who wants to start this journey to give it a try and keep an eye out for vintage razors.

Welcome to B&B and you are definitely on your way to shaving bliss! Those blades that came with the Wilkinson razor I assume are Wilkinson Swords? If they are, they are well regarded blades here and you can use those without problems.

I would like to share my experience of transitioning to wet shaving. I am grateful to you all for helping me make the right choices, and I want to express my gratitude through this post.

I had always used plastic cartridge razors for my shaves, as I'm sure many of you can relate to. Shaving was never a pleasant experience, but rather a necessity. I became interested in DE razors as they looked much more elegant and stylish than modern ones, but I never researched the subject. One day, while I was buying some cartridges for my razor in a store, I spotted a Wilkinson Classic (the plastic version) which cost only 5 euros. Intrigued by the low price and my interest in DE razors, I decided to give it a try.

When I got home, without any prior research, I went straight to the bathroom, applied some shaving foam to my beard, and tried the Wilkinson DE razor. I expected cuts and burns, but to my surprise, I got the best shave I had ever had. I was instantly hooked.
Over the next few days, I read hundreds of threads on this forum and other places to learn more about wet shaving. I realized that I needed a real safety razor, so I searched for the best one and decided on the Muhle R89 Twist, which cost me 50 euros. I was very excited to receive it. (I also bought shaving cream from Proraso, a cheap brush with boar hair from Nom, and Proraso aftershave)

However, when it arrived, I was disappointed to find that it had a manufacturing problem. The part that twists to open the head was unscrewing and detached itself from the razor, making it impossible to open the head. I returned it and got a refund, but the real problem was the build quality of this so-called "premium razor." The metal was very thin, and the interior looked cheap. So I started my research all over again to find a good and reliable razor.

View attachment 1799345View attachment 1799346

Thanks to the advice of this forum, I discovered the old but gold Gillette razors and found an online store where I bought a Gillette Super Speed from 1967 for 25 euros. Although I don't have much experience, this is only my second razor, but it is incredible. For any beginner out there, I have to tell you that you can't go wrong with a razor like this. It feels and looks infinitely better than my broken Muhle. You can feel the build quality in every inch of the machine. The twist-to-open mechanism is pure finesse, and you feel like a lord when you put the blade in and then close it. It's incredible how these machines work flawlessly despite their age, while new brands charge you 50+ euros for a metal rod and a screw.

View attachment 1799347
View attachment 1799348
View attachment 1799349
View attachment 1799350View attachment 1799351

As for the shave that this little guy offers, again, I don't have much experience, but I can't imagine a better shave than this. At first, I thought that the razor was broken because I didn't feel anything. It's like it's floating; you don't feel anything when it passes, but it cuts everything. The weight is perfect, and you can control it effortlessly. I didn't get a single cut from it, and I am an absolute beginner. From my second pass, my face was clean, and the shave was really close to the skin. (I use Astra blades. For the first shave with my new razor, I used the blade that was in my plastic Wilkinson, so you cannot attribute the quality of the shave to the blade.)

Thank you very much for all the information and dedication that you put into this forum. It is truly a goldmine for everyone interested in this topic! I hope that my story will encourage anyone who wants to start this journey to give it a try and keep an eye out for vintage razors.
Welcome to B&B!

Excellent story and a great choice. These vintages are incredible, both in build quality and as pieces of functional art.

Your Flare Tip is an excellent razor, the first FT's were introduced in 1954. They belong to a wider family of TTO's broadly called the Super Speeds. The grand-daddy of the Supers was introduced in 1940. All vintages give a great vibe while using them. Maybe you picked up on that.

On the bottom base plate it will say where it was made. It is US or England?

Enjoy, and welcome to the wonderful world of vintages, and B&B of course.

Nice.

Vintage Gillette razors are good shavers, and Gillette sold millions for a reason. Your Superspeed could very well be the only razor you will ever need, but...as is often the case once you arrive here...we know that ain't gonna happen. 😄

Welcome to the show. 🙂👍

Welcome to B&B and you are definitely on your way to shaving bliss! Those blades that came with the Wilkinson razor I assume are Wilkinson Swords? If they are, they are well regarded blades here and you can use those without problems.
Yes, that razor came with 5 blades, I used 2 of them, now I use Astra just to make an opinion on multiple brands of blades.

Welcome to B&B!

Excellent story and a great choice. These vintages are incredible, both in build quality and as pieces of functional art.

Your Flare Tip is an excellent razor, the first FT's were introduced in 1954. They belong to a wider family of TTO's broadly called the Super Speeds. The grand-daddy of the Supers was introduced in 1940. All vintages give a great vibe while using them. Maybe you picked up on that.

On the bottom base plate it will say where it was made. It is US or England?

Enjoy, and welcome to the wonderful world of vintages, and B&B of course.
Thank you very much!
About the nationality, it's made in USA.

Nice.

Vintage Gillette razors are good shavers, and Gillette sold millions for a reason. Your Superspeed could very well be the only razor you will ever need, but...as is often the case once you arrive here...we know that ain't gonna happen. 😄

Welcome to the show. 🙂👍
Thank you!
Very well said 😂 I already look for a Gillette Aristocrat, or a Tech 🤣 but I will wait a bit, firstly I want to get some experience in shaving.

Welcome to this great community !

I was shaving with modern razors for a few years and just about a week ago got my first Tech. I am hooked now, it's the most forgiving DE razor I've ever used. I don't think you can go wrong with a vintage Gillette.

That Astra SP is my favorite blade - not the absolute best (I think Feather wins out when used in mild razors) but extremely good, cheap, and widely available. They just moved their production from Russia to India, from most reports it seems there's no change in performance.

Welcome to B&B - and you already made a great start. Vintage razors are awesome and they deliver spectacular shaves.

The R89 is a magnificent razor too. It is made of Zamak (pot metal rather than brass like the vintage ones) which has its weaknesses. But Mühle does deliver top quality usually in terms of finish and plating. Perhaps you got the odd one out.

Can’t go wrong with Proraso either.

If you have any questions feel free to ask - usually plenty of advice around or someone that can point to the right places to get what you are looking for.

Enjoy!

Guido

Iridian

Cool and slimy
Hello!

I started out with a non-twist R89 and Astra blades.
Funnily, I didn't like either. Neither the razor nor the blades, and still don't up to this day. :blink:
I then got a R41 and liked it a lot. My favorite blade for the R41 were Polsilver Super Iridiums. They are a bit expensive and hard to get nowadays, I mostly use BICs by now and am right now on a quest to use my remaining blade samplers, which might take a while.

Somehow, this is nowadays the starting point and quite a lot of people seem to end up starting with a DE89/R89 and Astra blades.
Just like the Rockwell 6S somehow is still popular as "first stainless steel" razor.

I never went the Vintage route, in Europe they are not that easy to get, but got some modern vintage remakes and quite a lot of razors over the years.

Let's see how far you want to dive into the rabbit hole, have fun and enjoy your shaving journey! :applause:

Hello!

I started out with a non-twist R89 and Astra blades.
Funnily, I didn't like either. Neither the razor nor the blades, and still don't up to this day. :blink:
I then got a R41 and liked it a lot. My favorite blade for the R41 were Polsilver Super Iridiums. They are a bit expensive and hard to get nowadays, I mostly use BICs by now and am right now on a quest to use my remaining blade samplers, which might take a while.

Somehow, this is nowadays the starting point and quite a lot of people seem to end up starting with a DE89/R89 and Astra blades.
Just like the Rockwell 6S somehow is still popular as "first stainless steel" razor.

I never went the Vintage route, in Europe they are not that easy to get, but got some modern vintage remakes and quite a lot of razors over the years.

Let's see how far you want to dive into the rabbit hole, have fun and enjoy your shaving journey! :applause:
I'm from Europe also (Romania, to be precise) and I bought my razor from an online shop where the razors are professionally cleaned and sanitized. The shop is located in Spain; I paid 7 euros for shipment.

This is their website.

Top Bottom