What's new

Shavers Revué: Wilkinson Sword Classic D.E. razor

Pros
3366312750--400x400.jpg

+Cheap

+Good for beginners

+Mild and gentle shave

+ Safety features (Thick sides preventing cuts during head tightening)

+Simple to use

+Easy to maintain

+Comes with fairly good blades

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Cons

-Cheap plastic construction (the screw seems like it could get chewed out)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Revué

The Wilkinson swors Classic was my first D.E. razor and my intro the world of wet shaving. The name of this razor is incorectly tarnished by its low price and plastic build, despite the first impressions, this razor has its place in the hall of fame of the wet shaving world.

The razor comes at very affordable price of 4 euros, it comes with a pack of WS (Wilkinson Sword) blades so the real price of the razor is around 2 euros. This makes it a very nice affordable package.

Despite being plastic the Classic is a very clever design. The handle is nice and long with indentations affording a good grip. The handle also has a metal weight inside of it affording the Classic a nice weight diferentiating it from other feather weigted plastic razors. The WS Classic was designed with ease and safety of use in mind, the sides of the head are completely covered and given a good grippy surface preventing an accidental cut during blade manipulation. The plastic feels good against the skin and the head is small enough to cut well in the harder to reach areas (Under the nose). Another advantage for new shavers (technically) would be the plastic construction, this coupled with the cheap price practically removes the need for any complex maintenance, the only required maintenance would be washing and blade removal.

The blades supplied with the Classic bear the same name and arent half bad, pretty well sharp and not iritating, theyre good for the first few shaves.

Another surprising field where the Classic shines is the world of the ladies, the mostly plastic construction copes well with wet environments of the showers and baths where the ladies ussually shave. Ive recomended to my dear half and she likes it so far, the gentle and mild shave feels well on her sensitive skin.

Nowadays ive switched to the Gillette Slim Adjustable M-4 as it gives me more room to grow my technique and play with the settings, however i did not get rid of my Classic and i dont plan too any time soon. The classic still serves me well and ive relegated it to travell and bodyshave duties, places where my Slim doesnt shine as well.

Overall id recomend the Classic to travellers, beginners and ladies (or people in need of something cheap for body shaves)

429032725_2422030961340758_952245486858502733_n.jpg

P.s. The Shavers Revué and this review are reposts of reviews which i posted on the famed r/wicked_edge on reddit under the same name.

ProsView attachment 1817752

+Cheap

+Good for beginners

+Mild and gentle shave

+ Safety features (Thick sides preventing cuts during head tightening)

+Simple to use

+Easy to maintain

+Comes with fairly good blades

Cons

-Cheap plastic construction (the screw seems like it could get chewed out)

Revué

The Wilkinson swors Classic was my first D.E. razor and my intro the world of wet shaving. The name of this razor is incorectly tarnished by its low price and plastic build, despite the first impressions, this razor has its place in the hall of fame of the wet shaving world.

The razor comes at very affordable price of 4 euros, it comes with a pack of WS (Wilkinson Sword) blades so the real price of the razor is around 2 euros. This makes it a very nice affordable package.

Despite being plastic the Classic is a very clever design. The handle is nice and long with indentations affording a good grip. The handle also has a metal weight inside of it affording the Classic a nice weight diferentiating it from other feather weigted plastic razors. The WS Classic was designed with ease and safety of use in mind, the sides of the head are completely covered and given a good grippy surface preventing an accidental cut during blade manipulation. The plastic feels good against the skin and the head is small enough to cut well in the harder to reach areas (Under the nose). Another advantage for new shavers (technically) would be the plastic construction, this coupled with the cheap price practically removes the need for any complex maintenance, the only required maintenance would be washing and blade removal.

The blades supplied with the Classic bear the same name and arent half bad, pretty well sharp and not iritating, theyre good for the first few shaves.

Another surprising field where the Classic shines is the world of the ladies, the mostly plastic construction copes well with wet environments of the showers and baths where the ladies ussually shave. Ive recomended to my dear half and she likes it so far, the gentle and mild shave feels well on her sensitive skin.

Nowadays ive switched to the Gillette Slim Adjustable M-4 as it gives me more room to grow my technique and play with the settings, however i did not get rid of my Classic and i dont plan too any time soon. The classic still serves me well and ive relegated it to travell and bodyshave duties, places where my Slim doesnt shine as well.

Overall id recomend the Classic to travellers, beginners and ladies (or people in need of something cheap for body shaves)

View attachment 1817754

P.s. The Shavers Revué and this review are reposts of reviews which i posted on the famed r/wicked_edge on reddit under the same name.
If you baby those plastic threads, it could last a long time. I read, I believe anyway, that one guy used his for many years. I believe the plastic is called Delrin and is very tough, except that the plastic threads are its Achilles heel. I still use mine occasionally, and have one NOS tucked away just in case.

If you baby those plastic threads, it could last a long time. I read, I believe anyway, that one guy used his for many years. I believe the plastic is called Delrin and is very tough, except that the plastic threads are its Achilles heel. I still use mine occasionally, and have one NOS tucked away just in case.
I still have my and not plan to destroy it anytime soon. Youre correct with proper care i think that it could last you a lifetime. All things sad i think its important to mention it so ppl know what theyre buying.

I have their metal TTO model. It is a quality built razor for an extra affordable price. So dimple to use, just open the head, drop in a blade and you are good to go.

I might try the plastic version. Hard to go wrong at its price point.

This was my first DE as a teenager looking to shave money. I used it with canned foam because I didn’t know that anything else existed. It worked well but I eventually gave up shaving in favour of stubble and a weekly clipper shave.

It was the memory of this razor that got me thinking about DE’s again later in life. The idea of using a fresh blade with each shave. That was totally unaffordable with a cartridge system.

This was my first DE as a teenager looking to shave money. I used it with canned foam because I didn’t know that anything else existed. It worked well but I eventually gave up shaving in favour of stubble and a weekly clipper shave.

It was the memory of this razor that got me thinking about DE’s again later in life. The idea of using a fresh blade with each shave. That was totally unaffordable with a cartridge system.
Yes the cartridges are indeed needlesly expensive.

The razor is made of Delrin. It is a polymer used to make moving parts of bearings. A substitite for metal. Low friction, high wear resistance. Temperatures up to 90°C. You will have to wait for a long time before the plastic breaks (or the screw "gets chewed out").
Interesting i did not know that. The main reason why im mentioning it is to be absolutely clear about the razors build. To be honest the more i learn the more im pleasantly surprised with wilkinsons engineering.

Interesting i did not know that. The main reason why im mentioning it is to be absolutely clear about the razors build. To be honest the more i learn the more im pleasantly surprised with wilkinsons engineering.
I am not sure we are talking here Wilkinson engineering. It is a Treet razor. Until a few years back it was available as a Treet.

You will not find the plastic Wilkinson on their site, although new batches continue to get to shops.

I am not sure we are talking here Wilkinson engineering. It is a Treet razor. Until a few years back it was available as a Treet.

You will not find the plastic Wilkinson on their site, although new batches continue to get to shops.
Interesting i didnt know that. I mostly meant the engineering put into this specific razor.

Interesting i didnt know that. I mostly meant the engineering put into this specific razor.
Turns out it is still on the Treet site.

Treet Delrin.jpg

What I meant was I believe it has been developed by Treet. Wilkinson Sword will just use other manufacturers models in the last 4 decades. Currently on the Wilkinson Sword sites you will only find the metal TTO "Classic" razor which is actually WEISHI 9306-P with only a white paint Wilkinson logo stamped on one of the silo doors.

I don't think the Wilkinson Sword Classic is a Treet, the Treet is a copy AFAIK, Treet also have copies of plastic handle Techs and Slim Twists/Knack TTO, I don't think they've ever had an original razor. Listings for the Classic say it's made in Turkey, so not Treet in Pakistan.

So This razor is a WEISHI?

proxy.php

I wasn't aware of that?
What was unclear in my post?
I even wrote the exact model number.

I don't think the Wilkinson Sword Classic is a Treet, the Treet is a copy AFAIK, Treet also have copies of plastic handle Techs and Slim Twists/Knack TTO, I don't think they've ever had an original razor. Listings for the Classic say it's made in Turkey, so not Treet in Pakistan.

The plastic Wilkinson never had a country of manufacture stated on the blister. It only has the corporate Wilkinson address.

wilk class plastic.jpg

What was unclear in my post?
I even wrote the exact model number.

The plastic Wilkinson never had a country of manufacture stated on the blister. It only has the corporate Wilkinson address.

View attachment 1832885
From here (from 2010): "When contacted Wilkinson said this razor was made in Germany and some people think that the Treet version is built by Treet under license for their local market". Production may have moved around since then, but I doubt Treet make it now, and Treet definitely isn't the originator of the design at any rate.

Top Bottom