What's new

A newbie’s journey into DE shaving

Could soon be two.........next week is approaching fast.
Danger, Will Robinson.gif

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
I have the GreenCult 2.0 with the III base. I never tried the supplied blades because the ones I have and use are blades I have found through trial and error to be excellent for me. I have used B&B to research those blades and am quite happy without experimenting any further. Now, having said that, I may have to, at some point, experiment with other blades should I start to run low. By my calculations, I should have expired by the time that happens...so nothing to concern myself with.
Cheers!

View attachment 1815434
I have ~3800 DE blades.... all B&B approved, plus another ~550 AC blades... I only have one package of Feather Professionals and one package of Feather ProSuper blades... I don't plan to buy any more of either as I prefer the others I have much more. With the AC blades... if you like that format, you can find great deals on boxes of 10 packages. That cuts the price in half, at least. I mean... I got a box of ten packages (15 in each) of Kai Protouch guarded blades for $80, including shipping, a while back from Amazon Japan... Deals show up on DE and AC blades quite frequently.... Patience is a benefit.

This means I have over 4000 blades total... or in B&B terms... a rookie start.

I have the GreenCult 2.0 with the III base. I never tried the supplied blades because the ones I have and use are blades I have found through trial and error to be excellent for me. I have used B&B to research those blades and am quite happy without experimenting any further. Now, having said that, I may have to, at some point, experiment with other blades should I start to run low. By my calculations, I should have expired by the time that happens...so nothing to concern myself with.
Cheers!

View attachment 1815434
I think you need to try the Tigers so that it can be three of us liking those blades and show up @Balin . I planning to try my Tiger next week.

I have ~3800 DE blades.... all B&B approved, plus another ~550 AC blades... I only have one package of Feather Professionals and one package of Feather ProSuper blades... I don't plan to buy any more of either as I prefer the others I have much more. With the AC blades... if you like that format, you can find great deals on boxes of 10 packages. That cuts the price in half, at least. I mean... I got a box of ten packages (15 in each) of Kai Protouch guarded blades for $80, including shipping, a while back from Amazon Japan... Deals show up on DE and AC blades quite frequently.... Patience is a benefit.

This means I have over 4000 blades total... or in B&B terms... a rookie start.
At least you are well short of the B&B blade hoarding limits of 8000 blades. You still have room to get some more.

Ya know...I get 10 shaves per blade...so far. These are good shaves and with certain brands I could go further but have decided that 10 is where I max out. That means with my current stock which is WAAAAY below 4000 I can still go, without buying any more, right up until I hit my "best before date".

Date20.03.2024
366 daily shaves
080/366

RazorBladeBrush
Karve CB OC-CASCO (3)Semogue Cherry Finest
PreshaveSoapPostshave
Cold splash
KCG Face Wash
Mike’s Natural Soaps Barbershop (61)
Cold splash
Proraso Green
Balm

PassesWTG XTG ATG and touch up
Process Quality
(details here)
Blade Sharpness
10/10 (Clean)4/10 (Sharp Edge)
EffectivenessShave Comfort
8.75/10
(BBS-)
8/10 (Smooth)

Notes:

Summary. I would say best shave yet with this blade. The Christopher Bradley is a fantastic razor with baseplate C.

Razor and blade. Obtained last year with help from myself (😉). A fantastic razor. I love the looks (all brass) and the C baseplate is just about right for my beard. Blade gap is .85mm and blade exposure is .09mm. According to Karve because it’s an open comb the shave feel is similar to the safety bar D baseplate. The blade on shave 3 performed the best yet and I believe in large part because of the open comb. Smooth and comfortable and more effective today than in the previous shaves - although I could also show it at DFS+++ rather than BBS-. It depends.

Brush and lather. The Semogue is growing on me. The knot is very dense, but I have the sense the brush is breaking in if that actually makes sense with a badger brush. Very soft in general with some brush feel when only using the brush tips, but once splayed very very nice. The soap is a star in my shaves this month. So dependable and the scent is amazing. Really great!

Technique. Third time doing standard passes. Worked really well today. As I am working this my mind is wondering if the XTG could be a Gillette Slide, but for now I will stick to only regular strokes.

Enjoy your shave!

Date21.03.2024
366 daily shaves
081/366

RazorBladeBrush
Greencult 1.0ASCO (4)Yaqi Lucky Dice
PreshaveSoapPostshave
Cold splash
KCG Face Wash
Mike’s Natural Soaps Barbershop (62)
Cold splash
Proraso Green
Balm

PassesWTG XTG ATG and touch up
Process Quality
(details here)
Blade Sharpness
10/10 (Clean)4/10 (Sharp Edge)
EffectivenessShave Comfort
8.75/10
(BBS-)
8/10 (Smooth)

Notes:

Summary. Easy comfortable no fuzz shave. Wonderful.

Razor and blade. The Greencult 1.0 has the potency to be a beast with .95mm gap and .25 positive exposure. Paired with the ASCO it provided a smooth and comfortable shave. Very nice. The blade on 4 still is performing above my initial expectations. I think it even has life left in it.

Brush and lather. The Lucky Dice is one of my favourite brushes as it can lather just about any soap in no time. Soft and gentle. And huge. Love it!

Technique. Another shave using basic strokes. More deliberately today given the specifications of the Greencult. Close to BBS but not fully there - my beard map pattern is a little more effective for that I think. But we are getting closer as the shaves progress.

Enjoy your shave.

Last edited:
Top Bottom