What's new

A newbie’s journey into DE shaving

Thanks for being there in my journey John! How are you doing? Step by step on the rise I hope.
Thanks for asking Guido. My heart surgery recovery is well supported with an excellent rehab program covering all aspects of good heart health. I’ve been advised it is an eight month journey. I only had one shave with the Lupo before my surgery. It was well over a month before the second shave. I continue to dial in the Lupo. I’m enjoying FFFMM this month a timely exercise to continue readjusting to a new razor. The Lupo’s efficiency has exceeded my expectations and I have eliminated a pass on my head shave. I use my non shaving hand index finger and thumb to flatten head skin with a gentle stretch, on the follow up pass. I use a completely different grip on the razor from the face shave. I choke down on the handle to just below the head. This combination has accomplished my best ever head shaves and eliminated the second pass. I do miss the extra lathering. Higher efficiency has always improved my skin comfort. So the lathering trade off is acceptable. We continue to explore and learn our shaves. Improving comfort and skin health. I had no idea it would also be so much fun. The B&B friendships and camaraderie priceless.

Glad to hear/read John @JoWolf! And that stretching I might have to try sometime. Or at least more consistently - there are one or two spots I usually do it and ATG on the back of my neck.

This evening’s head shave was great in the sense that I finally fixed my Schick to be even across the safety bar, but I also believe the blade was less effective today. I don’t really keep track, but I think there are less than 10 shaves on this Personna blade (with the Schick I easily get to 15-20 shaves - last blade was 30-40). We’ll see.

Most important thing is that your way is up. Makes me very happy!

Cheers,

Guido

Date11.03.2024
366 daily shaves
071/366

RazorBladeBrush
Mühle Rocca R94Racer (1)Mühle Rocca Silver Tip
PreshaveSoapPostshave
Cold splash
KCG Face Wash
Mike’s Natural Soaps Barbershop (52)
Cold splash
Proraso Green
Balm

PassesWTG XTG ATG and touch up
Consistency
(details here)
Quality / My process
9.75/10 (Significantly Consistent)10/10
(Clean)
EffectivenessComfort / Blade condition
8.5/10
(DFS++)
9/10 (Butterysmooth)

Notes:

Summary. Kickstarting the week with one of my favourite combos. My Rocca’s never disappoint and always deliver.

Razor and blade. The Rocca came later last year and has been a go to razor from the beginning. It is simply phenomenal. It shaves with the mildness of the R89 and delivers the results of the R41. I tried on different handles just to check, but the total design including the OEM handle is simply spot on. The Blackbird has the same vibe. First shave with the Racer blade and I was very curious in trying this one. So far Lord blades have been good to my face. This blade is no different. Good blade. Smooth and very comfortable. Less sharp than the GSB, but almost as comfortable. Not sure about longevity. I had the idea the blade was already decreasing in sharpness during this first shave.

Brush and lather. Excellent lather today as the soft tips have my skin a gentle scrub. I am increasingly liking face lathering compared to bowl lathering. 15 counts of loading, two water dips and magnificent lather in a relatively short period of time.

Technique. My neck is my sensitive area and also the most challenging in mapping the direction of growth. I am almost certain I can be more effective even though I pay extra attention to lathering up for example to prepare the hairs. I am also looking into the fact is WTG can benefit from some Gillette Slide or Slant action. Life of a BOSC - variety for science.

Other news.

We’re doing great now by the way.
That is the next of the week! fantastic to hear!! I am super happy for the two of you. And that you found what was temporarily lost. No wonder we have been seeing that Slim more and more!

And thank you @JKaboom for your nice words - always nice to have a fellow head shaver join the party!

Enjoy your shave!

Updating scoring charts

After my 2024 adjustment I feel I might update my scoring charts again to reflect my current thinking. Specifically I am deleting consistency as I seemed to have settled in with my pattern much sooner than I expected. I vary my style from time to time, but in essence the pattern is pretty much locked in. I derived these scores from a chart by Knife Grinders Australia I found in the internet.

RatingSharpnessQualityComfortEffectiveness
10Insanely sharpCleanGlideFestBBS+ / Marble
9Wickedly sharpRed spotsButtery smoothBBS
8Crazy sharpMultiple weepersSmoothBBS-
7Very sharpNickComfortableDFS
6Razor sharpCutTuggyDFS-
5SharpMultiple cutsHarshCCS
4Sharp EdgeDivotPullingCCS-
3Working EdgeMultiple divotsUncomfortableSAS
2Working DullSweeneyStop shaving!SAS-
1DullSweeneysStop shaving!No shave

Date12.03.2024
366 daily shaves
072/366

RazorBladeBrush
Razorock Game Changer .84OCRacer (2)Omega 10108 Red
PreshaveSoapPostshave
Cold splash
KCG Face Wash
Mike’s Natural Soaps Barbershop (53)
Cold splash
Proraso Green
Balm

Process Quality
(details here)
Blade Sharpness
10/10 (Clean)4/10 (Sharp Edge)
EffectivenessShave Comfort
8.5/10
(DFS++)
9/10 (Butterysmooth)

Notes:

Summary. Liking the combination between this great razor and blade. Very favourable results.

Razor and blade. Second run with the Racer and similar to yesterday which then actually is a compliment to the blade. The razor is magnificent and already a favourite. I find the OC just that split hair smoother than the SB. Fabulous.

Brush and lather. Using or of the additions from last month’s my Canadian GRUYERE survival surprise. I love the design of this brush and the fact that it produces great lather is of course a plus *cough*. Wonderful lather. I weighed my other cobtainer soaps as well. I have 161 grams of Tabarko and 437 grams of Mikes left and at 1 gram usage per shave (apparently) I am pretty much settled for the next 1.6 years. Haha! No punishment at all - both are excellent soaps in my book.

Technique. I did Gillette Slides on my WTG yesterday which was pretty ok so I thought I’d do it again with another razor to see if I can replicate my results. I am grateful for my progress in that I can make different techniques work consistently in comparison.

Enjoy your shave!

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
Guido, your mojo must have worked.. My pre-war Canada Tech made it over the pond and has been scanned into US Customs in Miami. I love when my packages end up in Miami instead of NYC.... They get to me days earlier. There is a good chance it will be waiting for me when I get home on Sunday.

We'll be back in Amsterdam for a few hours on Saturday, waiting for the second leg of our journey home to Atlanta. The KLM lounge is a wonderful place to rest for a few hours. The people there couldn't be nicer and they always have nice food out... and great coffee. I have to remember to spend the 60 Euros I left over from the last trip as they aren't much use in the States.

Home to see our cat after the night layover in Atlanta, Sunday morning. We've had a great time but are starting to get anxious to be home.... We'll be heading down to see our granddaughter on Tuesday. I do hope the jetlag has subsided by then. <eg>

Guido, your mojo must have worked..
1710309370024.gif

We'll be back in Amsterdam for a few hours on Saturday, waiting for the second leg of our journey home to Atlanta.
Lounge 52 is not accessible from the outside so we’ll have to connect spiritually again Kim. I wish for an uneventful and safe trip home.
My pre-war Canada Tech made it over the pond and has been scanned into US Customs in Miami.
And enjoy that Tech! It’s definitely got an edge to make it a great razor for daily shaving (if you’re into daily shaving which you are not I believe, but of course it is also great for non daily shaving!).

Cheers!

Guido

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
Guido, sometime, if we are so fortunate to actually visit your fine country, we’ll sit down for a cup of coffee or an adult beverage and get to know each other in person.

I knew you couldn’t access that area without a plane ticket and boarding pass, otherwise I would have tried to schedule something.

Date13.03.2024
366 daily shaves
073/366

RazorBladeBrush
Mühle RoccaRacer (3)Razorock Beehive
PreshaveSoapPostshave
Cold splash
KCG Face Wash
Mike’s Natural Soaps Barbershop (54)
Cold splash
Proraso Green
Balm

Process Quality
(details here)
Blade Sharpness
10/10 (Clean)5.5/10 (Sharp)
8.75/10
(BBS-)
9/10 (Butterysmooth)

Notes:

Summary. Back to the awesome Mühle Rocca today and it delivered another excellent shave with the blade going on 3 shaves.

Razor and blade. The Racer keeps performing and I have increased my assessment regarding the blades sharpness. I think it’s a good blade for a smooth comfortable shave. The razor is awesome. In my view a budget friendly high end razor. This might just be the razor I would recommend my younger self at the beginning of my journey.

Brush and lather. The Beehive is contending for top spot in my brush rotation. I think it’s a marvellous brush. Big by any standard yet the handle is very comfortable to hold. I love it!! :001_wub: . Soap is wonderful too and I am thrilled I have about 1.5 years worth of it! Haha!

Technique. Enjoying my return to the Gillette Slide. The Rocca is very comfortable and effective using it. Almost as if the razor wanted me to use this particular stroke. I need to experiment if I can be as close of I do two WXTG passes rather than WXTG and XTG I am doing now - might increase the already nice level of comfort. I have increased my assessment of the end result as well - I think it’s bordering BBS or at least it’s DFS+++ today.

Enjoy your shave!

Eric_75

Not made for these times.
Date13.03.2024
366 daily shaves
073/366

RazorBladeBrush
Mühle RoccaRacer (3)Razorock Beehive
PreshaveSoapPostshave
Cold splash
KCG Face Wash
Mike’s Natural Soaps Barbershop (54)
Cold splash
Proraso Green
Balm

Process Quality
(details here)
Blade Sharpness
10/10 (Clean)5.5/10 (Sharp)
8.75/10
(BBS-)
9/10 (Butterysmooth)

Notes:

Summary. Back to the awesome Mühle Rocca today and it delivered another excellent shave with the blade going on 3 shaves.

Razor and blade. The Racer keeps performing and I have increased my assessment regarding the blades sharpness. I think it’s a good blade for a smooth comfortable shave. The razor is awesome. In my view a budget friendly high end razor. This might just be the razor I would recommend my younger self at the beginning of my journey.

Brush and lather. The Beehive is contending for top spot in my brush rotation. I think it’s a marvellous brush. Big by any standard yet the handle is very comfortable to hold. I love it!! :001_wub: . Soap is wonderful too and I am thrilled I have about 1.5 years worth of it! Haha!

Technique. Enjoying my return to the Gillette Slide. The Rocca is very comfortable and effective using it. Almost as if the razor wanted me to use this particular stroke. I need to experiment if I can be as close of I do two WXTG passes rather than WXTG and XTG I am doing now - might increase the already nice level of comfort. I have increased my assessment of the end result as well - I think it’s bordering BBS or at least it’s DFS+++ today.

Enjoy your shave!
Guido, how many bottles of the KCG Face Wash do you usually keep on hand?

Top Bottom