What's new

What's for Dinner at Your House?

Cucumber half sandwich, garlic roast potato and onion. Hot tea.

IMG_3685.jpeg

It was not very photogenic so I did not, but I had a carton of passata to use up, along with some chicken breasts. Chunk the chuck. Finely chop a couple of shallots, garlic cloves and slice a carrot or two, depending on the size of said carrot (or carrots).

Brown the chicken, set aside. Sweat the shallots, add the garlic and carrots, soften a bit, stir in the passata and add back the chicken. Near the end of cooking add a decent amount of oregano, or any other herb you might prefer, season to taste and there you have it. Simmer the sauce until you get it to the desired thickness, you might want to remove the chicken so it does not overcook. I served up some mashed potato with it, which slurped up the sauce nicely. You could do extra veggies if desired.

I have done a similar thing in the past and added red wine in there and drank the rest but I am having a dry week so kept it teetotal.

Old Hippie

Somewhere between 61 and dead
Mrs. Hippie was making Three Sisters Soup the other night (corn, beans, squash) and decided she had too much squash. That bowl of extra squash is now combined with some onion, garlic, sage, shredded Cheddar and grated apple and will go into perogy for tonight's supper. I just put the dough to chill. Almost time to uncork a beer and get to work in the kitchen!

O.H.

A meal I've eaten since my early youth, sauerkraut with coarse-ground weiners, and mashed potatoes topped with butter. My heritage is of German descent, and this meal was served often, perhaps every two weeks in my youth. Options my mother made in place of the wieners was baked barbecue ribs, or fried pork rib chops with apples. Whatever the meat served, it was always very tasty. I enjoy preparing, and eating and enjoying, the meals my mother and grandmothers prepared for their family. Never fails to bring back memories of my mother's cooking.

Tirvine

ancient grey sweatophile
Stacked enchiladas. Chunks of zucchini, onion, bell pepper, tomato cooked, and grilled chicken thigh in a little oil. Added adobo mixture, a dash of soy sauce, a dash of Worcestershire, and a dash of cider vinegar. Spread it over corn tortillas covered top and bottom with Hatch medium red enchilada sauce. Topped with another layer of tortillas and sauce and dotted with cheese. Baked until cheese was bubbly. Added a small drizzle of crema.

Spaghetti with Rao's Marinara sauce, beef meatballs, all covered with some shredded parmesan Romano cheese blend. Tossed garden salad with romaine, grape tomatoes, onion, garlic butter croutons and topped with Newman's Own oil and vinegar dressing. Now we've had our weekly Italian meal, and it was delicious x2!

Top Bottom