What's new

What's for Dinner at Your House?

My favourite leftover dish tonight.

We purposely make wayyyy too much steak and roasted potatoes the night before and the next day it gets chopped up with caramelized onion, corn and a sauce my wife makes that reminds me of what you use in a Sloppy Joe. Topped with a bit of cheese, baked and finished off with a sunny side up fried egg. Steak and potato hash? Dunno what it is called but it is bloody delicious. 👍

Tonight, the Major prepared some slow cooker brisket for his wife, father-in-law, & himself.

20240412_194346.jpg
20240412_194753.jpg

It tasted as good as it looked. To be honest, the Major doesn't remember having brisket that was literally melt-in-your-mouth tender before. Well, here we go.

-MO

First go with octopus. The remainder goes on the charcoal, rather than gas, grill. I am hopeful the market that sold the octopus acquires Portuguese sardines soon, as they did last summer.

Attachments

• IMG_1022.jpeg
    IMG_1022.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 11
  • IMG_1032.jpeg
    IMG_1032.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 9
  • IMG_1025.jpeg
    IMG_1025.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 11
  • IMG_1031.jpeg
    IMG_1031.jpeg
    1,022.2 KB · Views: 11
Last edited:
So cooked first to firm it up and then on very low heat over charcoal?
Boiled for a little over an hour and a half with half an onion, three bay leaves, half a cup red wine, half a lemon, peppercorns, and Portuguese sea salt, to tenderize and eliminate the chew factor. Finished on the grill on high heat with salt, pepper, and Portuguese olive oil, to give it some char. Texture wise, I think it turned out as good as any as I have had in restaurants in the United States or Europe. Flavor wise, I think it needs the charcoal. Very simple to make! Patatas bravas would have been nice, but I went with roasted smashed potatoes and vegetables instead. They roasted while the octopus boiled.

Last edited:
Boiled for a little over an hour and a half with half an onion, three bay leaves, half a cup red wine, half a lemon, peppercorns, and Portuguese sea salt, to tenderize and eliminate the chew factor. Finished on the grill on high heat with salt, pepper, and Portuguese olive oil, to give it some char. Texture wise, I think it turned out as good as any as I have had in restaurants in the United States or Europe. Flavor wise, I think it needs the charcoal. Very simple to make! Patatas bravas would have been nice, but I went with roasted smashed potatoes and vegetables instead. They roasted while the octopus boiled.
Your cooking method is spot on. :thumbup:

I also keep it in the pot for an hour and a half,
but I turn off the heat after an hour and ten minutes,
letting it rest in the hot water for the next twenty minutes.
I like to make a sauce for it with olive oil, garlic, paprika, and salt.

I appreciate the feedback!!

I put a couple of tentacles over the coals last evening. Definitely better than gas, but I can improve the finishing!

I also keep it in the pot for an hour and a half,
but I turn off the heat after an hour and ten minutes,
letting it rest in the hot water for the next twenty minutes.
I like to make a sauce for it with olive oil, garlic, paprika, and salt.
Excellent! I do something similar. I marinate the occy for 30min prior to caramelizing on grill.
Marinade contains crushed garlic, diced red chilli, celery seed, fresh parsley, thyme and oregano, salt, white pepper, red wine vinegar, lemon, and extra virgin olive oil.
I reserve a small amount of marinade to drizzle over caramelized pieces.

Top Bottom