Votes: 19 44.2%
  • ...or Both

Votes: 10 23.3%

• Total voters

The Count of Merkur Cristo

B&B's Emperor of Emojis
Culinarians:
If I could get them more often...it's crumpets for our house. :thumbsup:

"Crumpet vs English muffin: what’s the difference between these two small round breads? Here’s what you need to know (plus recipes)".

by Sonja Overhiser - a couple cooks - Published on June 13, 2022 / Last updated on September 20, 2023

"Crumpet vs English muffins: what’s the difference? These two small round breads are about the same size and use similar ingredients: but they’ve got some major differences. Are they both cut in half? Are they both English? Here’s what you need to know about these popular breads: and a few recipes if you’d like to try your hand at making them at home!

What are crumpets?
A crumpet is a traditional English round bread made with flour, milk, and yeast and cooked on a griddle.
proxy.php

:drool: The surface of a crumpet has delicate round holes, bubbles from the yeast that rise to the surface during cooking. They’re often served topped with butter, jam, clotted cream, or honey as a traditional tea time snack. They’re popular in the UK and other former British territories like Canada and Australia.

proxy.php

What are English muffins?
An English muffin is a small, [baked] savory round bread that’s served cut in half and toasted.
proxy.php

proxy.php
Despite the name, it was actually invented in America! A British immigrant named Samuel Bath Thomas invented the English muffin in 1894 in his New York bakery.

He first called it the “toaster crumpet,” so it’s a variation on the popular bread he was used to in the UK. It caught on as a more elegant version of toast, and is a popular American breakfast item to this day.

proxy.php

What’s the difference?

Here’s a breakdown in the similarities and differences between these two round breads:

Size and shape: A crumpet and English muffin are both round breads cooked on a griddle that are about 3 inches in diameter. A crumpet is thinner than an English muffin and has delicate round holes on the top. An English muffin is thicker and the top is solid; it’s served cut in half.

Origin: A crumpet is a traditional English bread eaten as a breakfast or tea time snack. It’s popular in the UK and former British territories like Canada and Australia. An English muffin was invented in America by a British immigrant (so Americans saw it as an English-style muffin). It’s a popular American breakfast item.

Way it’s served: Both crumpets and English muffins are toasted before serving. A crumpet is served with butter, jam, clotted cream, or preserves spread on top of the crumpet.

An English muffin is always sliced in half, then topped with butter, peanut butter, or other toppings. The English muffin is also popularly used as the bread for an American Breakfast Sandwich".

Works Cited: The Crumpet vs. The English Muffin

proxy.php
“Hot crumpets, [and hot english muffins] with butter and jam - what could be more [delicious]"? William Boyd

Last edited:

Ravenonrock

I shaved the pig
I don’t often come across crumpets, but when I do I thoroughly enjoy them. We have eaten more English muffins in our household. They have a more utilitarian appeal, often subbed as mini pizzas when the kids were young and a quick breakfast sanny. Crumpets were more of a treat for us when we happened to come across them, always well toasted crisp with plenty of butter.

Legion

Staff member
Weird how you have trouble finding crumpets in the US. They are standard in the bread section of every supermarket here. I always have some on hand, as they freeze pretty well. Pro tip, if available get the square ones rather than round. They fit in the toaster better, and are about exactly the right size for sliced cheese.

My wife had never tried one until she moved to Australia.

cleanshaved

I’m stumped
Weird how you have trouble finding crumpets in the US. They are standard in the bread section of every supermarket here. I always have some on hand, as they freeze pretty well. Pro tip, if available get the square ones rather than round. They fit in the toaster better, and are about exactly the right size for sliced cheese.

My wife had never tried one until she moved to Australia.

Never had crumpet with cheese.

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
Do yourself a favour. Toast it, lots of butter, a slice if tasty cheese, then under the griller till it starts to bubble.
With the weekend on us this might be a good time to try this for a cheap easy tea Saturday night.

Old Hippie

Somewhere between 61 and dead
What with keeping a couple of sourdough cultures active I always have discard of one sort or the other. Sourdough crumpets is dead easy. In fact, the recipe card pretty much lives by the stove. English Muffins take a little more work so we don't get them very often.

O.H.

My vote goes to hot buttered crumpets.
Cor blimey guv’nor ain‘t you never heard of the Muffin Man? Muffin’s is as English as crumpets.

Attachments

• FCF92208-9052-492E-ABA6-77E80A835AE5-732-0000008760058C83.jpg
    FCF92208-9052-492E-ABA6-77E80A835AE5-732-0000008760058C83.jpg
    714.6 KB · Views: 2
  • 6AB7CA11-3D95-4F19-B2DB-1EE767351070-732-000000876E959D14.jpg
    6AB7CA11-3D95-4F19-B2DB-1EE767351070-732-000000876E959D14.jpg
    682.2 KB · Views: 1
Top Bottom