What's new

Ten best bourbons: Top bottles of the all-American whiskey

Just cracked open a bottle of Rowan's Creek. Nice. Probably won't be my absolute favorite, but it's up there on the list somewhere.

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
Woodford Reserve Double Oak and Bulleit 10 yr. are my favorite so far.
WT 101 for mixing
Tried Blantons, was OK but I like other bourbons better, so many more to try.

Four Roses Single is one I always keep around. 2 more that stay beside it, but not on the list, are Buffalo Trace and Eagle Rare 10 year. Excellent bourbons that your wallet won't mind keeping on the shelf.

Eagle Rare 10, Elijah Craig 12 are my mid shelf choices, and Virgin 101 and Old Forester Sig. 100 my other go to bourbons.

Last edited:
The guy who made this list has not tried George t. , Parkers Heritage collection, William Larue Welller or any Papppy Van Winkle Buorbon. But a couple on there I am going to have to try out.

Went to a blind bourbon tasting last week. Found some new ones I liked quite a bit. Blantons and Jefferson Reserve both are winners. I also liked Wild Turkey Kentucky Spirit - but that was always a favorite.

After the tasting I spotted a bottle of Angel's Envy. A salesman in the store raved about it but I did not buy a bottle. Have any of you bourbon aficionados tried Angel's Envy?

After the tasting I spotted a bottle of Angel's Envy. A salesman in the store raved about it but I did not buy a bottle. Have any of you bourbon aficionados tried Angel's Envy?

I personally found it young and hot and really didn't care for it at all. I mean it is literally hot... the finish burned. This is from a guy who drinks Turkey 101 and Pappy 15 straight up in a Glencairn. I realize I'm really in the minority, everyone seems to sing the praises of this stuff but I don't get it. YMMV.

I personally found it young and hot and really didn't care for it at all. I mean it is literally hot... the finish burned. This is from a guy who drinks Turkey 101 and Pappy 15 straight up in a Glencairn. I realize I'm really in the minority, everyone seems to sing the praises of this stuff but I don't get it. YMMV.
I did"t think it was that special to garner its price tag...
my thoughts..keep your dalies under $30 and save for the $70plus bottles for something special...fairly ubiquitous offerings in the $35-50 price range...imho...

I personally found it young and hot and really didn't care for it at all.

That is sig material if I ever saw it :wink:

I definitely agree though. My wife does not care for bourbons in general because of the finish. We generally drink Bulleit Rye... she loves that (she also loves JD Honey and Fireball, but those are topics for The Clown House :biggrin: )

On the shelf:
WT Kentucky Spirit
Woodford Reserve
WT 101
Makers Mark
Four Roses Single Barrel Private Selection

There'd also be some Russell's Reserve Single Barrel, but the gift shop was out of it the day we took the tour at Wild Turkey!

The Four Roses is very nice--higher proof than the Woodford and even the WT 101, yet remarkably smooth.

I'll have to look for a bottle of Russell's once the stock is drawn down a bit. Maybe I'll get to work.........

I'm jealous of anyone who's tried Pappy Van Winkle. Hard to attain and you pay a small fortune when it can be found.

There are a couple places off of King St. in Charleston SC that have EVERY Van Winkle Bourbon on the shelf. I celebrated Boxing Day trying each one of them that evening. The 15 year turned out to be my favorite. Not surprising the 23 year old was a different character and was one smooth whiskey, but I prefer Bourbon with a tad of an "edge"; the 15 year old perfectly met that criterion.

Expensive?? Damn skippy it was!! Worth it?? Well, even if I had the money I wouldn't make a habit of buying more than one bottle every 1-2 years.

Top Bottom