What's new

An Expert's Advice On Watering Your Bourbon ;-)

The Count of Merkur Cristo

B&B's Emperor of Emojis
Don't know if this subject came up.
proxy.php

By John Tolley - TastingTable - 16 Feb 24

"There are a great many ways to enjoy bourbon, from simple cocktails like a classic Boulevardier to a more elaborate pickle juice whiskey sour.
proxy.php

Bourbon purists and aficionados, though, will often say that for as nice as these concoctions may be, they get in the way of the whiskey's unique flavor.

Many are torn on how to optimally appreciate the drink [❓].

Should it be served neat and pure or blossomed with a splash of water? Tasting Table turned to one of the top minds in the world of bourbon, Executive Bourbon Steward Chris Blatner, to find out whether or not water is de rigueur or gauche when it comes to bourbon tasting.

"The use of water or ice is a personal preference," Blatner tells us. "I would always encourage people to first try a whiskey neat, without any additions.

proxy.php

Then from there add water or a [1] large ice cube." The science behind adding water to bourbon — and other whiskeys — has
been well-studied.

It boils down to diluting the strength of the whiskey and thereby making certain flavor and aroma compounds more apparent.

But, as Blatner points out, there's nothing wrong with having a side-by-side tasting of a bourbon, both neat and with water, to enjoy the full breadth. 👃

"For me, the main factor for using water or ice is the proof point of the whiskey," he continues. "Generally, I'm only using water or ice with whiskeys that are over 100 proof." [damnnnnn...:a47:]

Why water
proxy.php

If you are in the water camp or at least intrigued enough to give it a shot, then know that there is more to this than just
turning the tap. :hand:

In fact, most bourbon connoisseurs and distillers suggest keeping the spirit away from common tap water. It's a matter
of purity. :thumbsup:

proxy.php

Tap water is not just water, but contains a number of different chemicals and compounds put there both intentionally and not. 🚰

proxy.php
Fluoride and chlorine flow out of the faucet to improve oral health and keep the water clean, but when added to bourbon they can affect its taste.

There are also metals and other chemicals that leach out of transmission pipes and household plumbing, all in safe enough levels, but still not optimal for a bourbon tasting where clarity is key.

Purified or Distilled water and Ice Cubes made from it are the order of the day for diluting the bourbon's alcohol bite, as their neutrality does nothing to alter the flavor.
proxy.php

Read More: Expert Advice On Water / Ice Ratio To Bourbon

proxy.php
“Too much of anything is bad, but too much good [bourbon] is barely enough”. Mark Twain

Last edited:

The Count of Merkur Cristo

B&B's Emperor of Emojis
I add water and ice, which is bad. Bad because instead of a nice sippable drink that I can nurse for an hour it becomes an all-too-drinkable beverage that I can down in a few minutes and then I’m off for a refill and……what happened?
Quaznoid:
Don't tell me...does this happen?
1708060812949.gif

Without shame...happened to me a few times in my life. 🤣

1703196907226.jpeg
[Having good bourbon plus a cigar] is a [wonderful] way of ending the day". Ernest Hemingway

Last edited:
I usually dilute mine with a couple dashes of bitters, a little sugar and big ice cube!

I do taste a new bottle neat and also, with just splash of water. Just to really get a feel for it. And if I'm in a hurry, an ice cube or just a splash of water instead of all that old fashioned work.

Top Bottom