What's new

distilled water in whiskey

I know this subject matter is similar to the "anyone put water in their Scotch" or whatever the precise title is, but I thought this was different enough to warrant a new thread. I apologize if others think it is creating an excessive number of threads.

FWIW, the latest issue of Cooks Illustrated reports the results of taste tests, blind as I understand it, of putting water in whisky. (It may have been Scotch only. I do not have the magazine with me.)

They state that the results are very clear that distilled water brings out the flavors and I assume aromas of whisky better than other water. The theory seems to be that minerals in other waters bind to some extent with aroma and flavor molecules in whiskies and dampen them to some extent, whereas distilled water having no minerals exclusively opens whiskies up. They did not seem to reach a conclusion re optimal amount of water. I seem to remember one teaspoon to two tablespoons being mentioned. I do not remember if they mentioned making ice cubes with distilled water which seems like an obvious thing to do given the taste results.

This seems counterintuitive to me, but much of life does. :) I generally have a good deal of faith in KI/ATK tasting results. And I doubt the American Distilled Water Association had a hand in the tests. :) If the results are really as clear as indicated, this seems meaningful.

I heard that professional tasters sometimes dilute it down to ~40 proof in order to hunt nuances but I never tried that myself - my palate wouldn’t be up to that task anyway.

I also believe that the cutting to bottle proof at the distillery would be done with something as neutral as possible…

There is a lot out there saying for tasting purposes a bit of water--the amounts stated vary quite a bit--helps open the whisky up.

Makes some sense to me. What I am surprised about is the distilled part. I think a lot of distilleries make a big deal of the quality of the local water used in production. I am guessing none use distilled water. My recollection is that distilled water makes a poor mixer with anything, whether one is making a mixed drink or some instant tea or coffee. But I have a lot of trust in ATK and its methods for taste tests.

Thanks for commenting. I would have thought this thread would have drawn more attention, given the high level of interest in whiskies around here! :)

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
I know this subject matter is similar to the "anyone put water in their Scotch" or whatever the precise title is, but I thought this was different enough to warrant a new thread. I apologize if others think it is creating an excessive number of threads.

FWIW, the latest issue of Cooks Illustrated reports the results of taste tests, blind as I understand it, of putting water in whisky. (It may have been Scotch only. I do not have the magazine with me.)

They state that the results are very clear that distilled water brings out the flavors and I assume aromas of whisky better than other water. The theory seems to be that minerals in other waters bind to some extent with aroma and flavor molecules in whiskies and dampen them to some extent, whereas distilled water having no minerals exclusively opens whiskies up. They did not seem to reach a conclusion re optimal amount of water. I seem to remember one teaspoon to two tablespoons being mentioned. I do not remember if they mentioned making ice cubes with distilled water which seems like an obvious thing to do given the taste results.

This seems counterintuitive to me, but much of life does. :) I generally have a good deal of faith in KI/ATK tasting results. And I doubt the American Distilled Water Association had a hand in the tests. :) If the results are really as clear as indicated, this seems meaningful.
The Scotts refer to adding a bit of water as "taking the Devil out". My favorite os San Pellegrino and I never use ice.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
My recollection is that distilled water makes a poor mixer with anything, whether one is making a mixed drink or some instant tea or coffee.

Ah but ... compared to what?

Unadulterated water straight from the right spring, clear and with just the right combination of trace minerals from the natural environment ... that could blow distilled out of the water (heh).

But chlorinated, fluoridated, run-through-pipes tapwater? Ugh! Give me distilled instead every day of the week and twice on Sunday.

Unadulterated water straight from the right spring, clear and with just the right combination of trace minerals from the natural environment ... that could blow distilled out of the water (heh).

But chlorinated, fluoridated, run-through-pipes tapwater? Ugh! Give me distilled instead every day of the week and twice on Sunday.
I agree with that!

I like the taste of hard water very much.

I don't know if they still do, but Jack Daniels used to go on and on
about their limestone cave water.

many whiskys can open up quite a bit, not all do - i only talk about scotch. normally it only makes sense to dillute cask strength since the blender had something in mind and a plan when they are already dilluted to drinking strength and then bottled.

additionally, alcohol is a neurotoxin. the higher the alcohol the more it whacks your taste. drink strength is most of the time about 40%, its not a bad idea to knock it to at least below 50. so one table spoon or two is not to answer as generalisation since it depends how much % it has to begin with how the whisky handles it and how you like it.
would buy just good bottled water and never heard about using destilled water to be honest. if you have excellent tap water where you live there is no need to buy it - just use it.

never heard about using destilled water to be honest.
I sure had not. I remain skeptical.
if you have excellent tap water where you live there is no need to buy it
I cannot remember ever having tap water that was even marginal! Maybe when I was a kid, 60 years ago, when we had well water, but I doubt it even then. Nothing like the miracle of, say, NYC water. Seems like I have stayed other places where the water was good, too.

At home. I have to use the wife approved higher, PH, UV light, filtered, reverse osmosis water from the premium $ machine 4, 5gl. bottles that’s kept in the kitchen. But when I was a kid, kitchen sink, bathroom sink, water hose outside and rain water. That’s what I drank… but now…. For my own good, I Guess.

Whisky

ATF. I use all three.
Staff member
Late to this, but if you ever go to Whiskyfest and do a tasting panel/educational seminar they give you a small glass of distilled water and an eye dropper along with whatever you’re tasting. Then the master distiller/blender has you taste the whisk(e)y (I’ve done these with Bourbon and Scotch) straight and then with different amounts of water, usually measured as DROPS in 2oz. As you add the water and taste again it really brings forward the different nuances of the dram that the water brings out. Water can do a lot to bring out the flavor but I think most people add way too much. That being said I still like one large round ice cube in my bourbon.

The use of distilled water is interesting there. I had heard people say to use whatever water you are used to drinking, as your pallette essentially considers that a baseline. That somewhat makes sense to me, though certainly distilled water shouldn't be ADDING anything to the drink.
Regarding the amount, I've heard people say start with a neat sip, then add a drop and sip, repeat until it no longer is enjoyable. Then you know your limit for that whiskey. Seems risky to me, but to each their own. I prefer to buy a whiskey/bourbon that I can enjoy neat. Like drinking my coffee black, it gives less an opportunity to screw it up. :)

Whisky

ATF. I use all three.
Staff member
I’ll try making the ice from distilled water. I used to use metal whiskey stones but prefer ice because of the water.
That’s all I use when making ice for drinks.

The use of distilled water is interesting there. I had heard people say to use whatever water you are used to drinking, as your pallette essentially considers that a baseline. That somewhat makes sense to me, though certainly distilled water shouldn't be ADDING anything to the drink.
This. Depending on where you live tap water can range from great to terrible, and it’s not just the taste of the water. When I lived in Waco there would be algae blooms in the lake that supplied the drinking water. The local water Dept. Said the water was safe to drink, and it was clear, but it stunk so bad I wouldn’t drink it. Now we have a well and there is so much iron in the water it smells like iron when it comes out of the tap. Neither of these waters would I want to add to my whisky.

This is a pretty good article on the subject. And your right, they don’t mention using distilled water, just water free of minerals and of a neutral ph.

As I said earlier I think the biggest issue people have is adding water is that they add too much. Water should be added measured in drops, not a “small pour”. Too much water and you ruin the whisk(e)y.

Last edited:

Tirvine

ancient grey sweatophile
The Austin tap water is quite hard, no surprise given that the Edwards Plateau is loaded with limestone and our water supply lakes are west of the Balcones Escarpment. Filtered with Brita or the like, our water makes good ice and is excellent in small quantities with either whiskey or whisky.

Whisky

ATF. I use all three.
Staff member
The Austin tap water is quite hard, no surprise given that the Edwards Plateau is loaded with limestone and our water supply lakes are west of the Balcones Escarpment. Filtered with Brita or the like, our water makes good ice and is excellent in small quantities with either whiskey or whisky.
I drank Austin tap water a lot growing up, no Brita pitchers in those day. I don’t remember it being terrible but maybe I just didn’t know better. Drank it out of the hose a lot during the summer too.

Top Bottom