What's new

Remove the chlorine from the water before making coffee.

I stumbled by accident how important it is to remove chlorine from the water before brewing coffee.

Tap water in the public water supply most anywhere in the USA is treated with small amounts of chlorine gas. It dissolves in the water & kills bacteria and micro-organisms. Where I live in Maryland, more chlorine is used in warm weather & less in cold weather. I can easily smell it in the summer.

I learned that chlorine in the water has a negative effect on brewed coffee. It’s hard to describe, but to me it adds a slightly “burned and/or bitter flavor” to coffee. (I used quotes only because that’s how I describe it to myself, but I don’t know if that really means anything to others.)

There are two easy ways to remove chlorine from water. 1) Bring the water to a full boil. 2) Pass the water through a filter that contains activated charcoal, such as a Britta filter. These filters do need to be replaced as they get used. Both methods work.

How did I learn this? I already knew from years in a lab that chlorine, bromine, & iodine gas are easily dissolved in cold water, and that they kill micro-organisms. As the water temperature goes up, those gasses become less & less soluble. Shortly before water boils, those gases come completely out of water. Chlorine gas is colorless, but you can easily see bromine gas (amber) and iodine gas (purple) as they come off the top the water’s surface. I remember camping where there was well water, treated with iodine. In the morning, boiling water for some instant coffee and instant oatmeal, I distinctly remember seeing a very brief gasp of purple vapor coming off the water, shortly before it boiled.

In my early just-married days, I made coffee with a simple Melitta drip pot. They still sell them today. I first boiled water in a kettle, and then poured a little onto the grounds to wet them. A few minutes later, I poured the rest of the water over the grounds. It was simple, and worked great.

As time went by, I eventually got a number of cheap electric drip coffee makers. They were easier to use, but the coffee never seemed to taste as good. Out of nostalgia, one weekend, I got out that old Melitta drip pot & made coffee. Surprisingly, it tasted better. Everything was the same except the drip pot, and that I boiled the water in a kettle. I had already read somewhere how most inexpensive electric drip makers didn’t actually heat water much above roughly 180-185°F. That was said to be due to the cheaper 1,000 Watt heaters in those makers. So, I wondered, if it doesn’t boil the water, it might not drive off the chlorine.

The next day, I tested that idea in the electric drip pot using water from a Britta filter. It tasted no different from coffee made with the Melitta pot! That had to be the answer! Remove the chlorine and no more burned, bitter taste.

I later learned that Technivorm uses more expensive 1,400 Watt heaters in their Moccamasters. They got water hotter. The next time the cheap heating element in my electric drip pot died, I sprung for a Technivorm. That was sometime around 2005 or 2006. I still use it today. And just in case, I also use water filtered through activated charcoal.

I thought readers might enjoy learning about a simple way to improve your daily caffeine hit. I have no idea if this also improves espresso. I don't make it at home.

Tap water is different from place to place, in my home in El Dorado County it was EID well water, taste good. Down the hill in City of Sacramento it was hard, and nasty.

Now I am in Maricopa County Arizona water is ok most places. Except out of water fountains in side State Farm Stadium aweful tasting.🤯🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮

I would respectfully both Agree and Disagree with you.

I HATE! chlorine in water with a passion, I grew up in the "Outback" with no chlorine, later I've lived in towns and cities with chlorinated water, now I live back in the "Outback" with God's Water from the sky. There is well water, but that is for stock water and flushing down the dunny, it is drinkable, but no.
God's Water does have additives .... bird droppings, dead frogs, some leaves and other things, but no chlorine or fluoride.

The best chlorine indicator is Tea, God's Water brewed tea here will be transparent and taste divine, in the city tea will be blacker than the ace of spades at night with no moon and taste like secondhand cats urine!

I don't agree that just bringing chlorinated water to the boil will rid it of all the chlorine, yes boiling will work, I agree, but it needs boiling for 10 minutes to drive off 'all' the chlorine, then you've killed the water anyway. The good old 'tea' test, boiled town water still goes black.
Believe it or not, I can taste 1 gallon of town water in a hundred gallons of God's Water when said contaminated water is used to make tea. Good friends had their God's Water tank cleaned out with freakin town water, then it rained. I was visiting, offered a cup of tea, took one sip, BLEUCH I said there is town water in your tank!

So, the fastest, and 'easiest' way/s? [again I disagree with you]
1:- Citric Acid powder .... 3 nano seconds chlorine is gone, it does depart a lemonish flavour to the tea, probably not a good thing in coffee.
2:- Ascorbic Acid ... Vitamin C ... again the reaction is instantaneous to the benchmark 3 nano seconds. Flavourless variety would be recommended, not gummies.
3:- Sodium Ascorbate ... again Vitamin C ... same time clocked as the above 2. and comes highly recommended by me. Fish as in tank fish hate chlorine about as much as I do and then sleep on their backs at the surface, rather odd behaviour that! Ascorbate neutralises chlorine in fish tank water, if fish swim happy in it, it was good enough for me.

All good in the hood, just a different opinion. :D

Wait till you start testing your water, buying distilled water and adding minerals back to it for your coffee. I played with it for a while, to much trouble for my tastes or lack off. I do use a Britta with an Oscar pouch in it just to help with the scaling of the espresso machine and also use the same water for my daily coffee. If you want to go down that rabbit hole, check out third wave water and I think “Lotus” by lance hedrick or promoted by him.

I would respectfully both Agree and Disagree with you.

I HATE! chlorine in water with a passion, I grew up in the "Outback" with no chlorine, later I've lived in towns and cities with chlorinated water, now I live back in the "Outback" with God's Water from the sky. There is well water, but that is for stock water and flushing down the dunny, it is drinkable, but no.
God's Water does have additives .... bird droppings, dead frogs, some leaves and other things, but no chlorine or fluoride.

The best chlorine indicator is Tea, God's Water brewed tea here will be transparent and taste divine, in the city tea will be blacker than the ace of spades at night with no moon and taste like secondhand cats urine!

I don't agree that just bringing chlorinated water to the boil will rid it of all the chlorine, yes boiling will work, I agree, but it needs boiling for 10 minutes to drive off 'all' the chlorine, then you've killed the water anyway. The good old 'tea' test, boiled town water still goes black.
Believe it or not, I can taste 1 gallon of town water in a hundred gallons of God's Water when said contaminated water is used to make tea. Good friends had their God's Water tank cleaned out with freakin town water, then it rained. I was visiting, offered a cup of tea, took one sip, BLEUCH I said there is town water in your tank!

So, the fastest, and 'easiest' way/s? [again I disagree with you]
1:- Citric Acid powder .... 3 nano seconds chlorine is gone, it does depart a lemonish flavour to the tea, probably not a good thing in coffee.
2:- Ascorbic Acid ... Vitamin C ... again the reaction is instantaneous to the benchmark 3 nano seconds. Flavourless variety would be recommended, not gummies.
3:- Sodium Ascorbate ... again Vitamin C ... same time clocked as the above 2. and comes highly recommended by me. Fish as in tank fish hate chlorine about as much as I do and then sleep on their backs at the surface, rather odd behaviour that! Ascorbate neutralises chlorine in fish tank water, if fish swim happy in it, it was good enough for me.

All good in the hood, just a different opinion. :D
While I agree that ascorbic acid / sodium ascorbate or citric acid do rapidly neutralize oxidizing chlorine compounds in water, they do not actually physically remove the total chlorine. The excess ascorbate and inactive chloride salts remain in the water. I've never tried them and cannot say whether the amounts of those compounds affect the taste of brewed coffee.

My experience is limited to drinkable (potable) water for distribution in the USA, in particular in Maryland. In my home, boiling tap water is enough to lower its chlorine levels so that I and others cannot taste it in coffee. The water you've experienced in Australia may possibly contain more chlorine in it than what I have in my home.

However, I do appreciate your comments. The methods you describe for chlorine neutralization are certainly valid. Somewhere, a reader may need to use them, even if I don't.

Someone may find this link useful. Using Vitamin C to Neutralize Chlorine in Water Systems - https://www.fs.usda.gov/t-d/pubs/html/05231301/05231301.html

Last edited:
I think the activated charcoal filters work the best just to get a clean taste, at least. I can tell a big difference. Most drip coffee makers don't boil all the water, just parts of it come to a boil, enough to propel bursts of hot water out over the coffee grounds. I think you're right that the old Melita system makes a better tasting cup of coffee than most drip makers do.

While I agree that ascorbic acid / sodium ascorbate or citric acid do rapidly neutralize oxidizing chlorine compounds in water, they do not actually physically remove the total chlorine. The excess ascorbate and inactive chloride salts remain in the water. I've never tried them and cannot say whether the amounts of those compounds affect the taste of brewed coffee.

My experience is limited to drinkable (potable) water for distribution in the USA, in particular in Maryland. In my home, boiling tap water is enough to lower its chlorine levels so that I and others cannot taste it in coffee. The water you've experienced in Australia may possibly contain more chlorine in it than what I have in my home.

However, I do appreciate your comments. The methods you describe for chlorine neutralization are certainly valid. Somewhere, a reader may need to use them, even if I don't.

Someone may find this link useful. Using Vitamin C to Neutralize Chlorine in Water Systems - https://www.fs.usda.gov/t-d/pubs/html/05231301/05231301.html
ascorbic acid + chlorine/chloramine

C5H5O5CH2OH + HOCL → C5H3O5CH2OH + HCl + H2O

Ascorbic acid + Hypochlorous acid → Dehydroascorbic acid + Hydrochloric acid + water

HCL being Hydrochloric acid, Hydrogen and Chloride, yes a salt/acid produced by the reaction lowers the PH marginally, and yes Dehydroascorbic acid is also a by product

Sodium Ascorbate + chlorine/chloramine

C5H5O5CH2ONa + HOCL → C5H3O5CH2OH + NaCl + H2O

Sodium ascorbate + Hypochlorous acid → Dehydroascorbic acid + Sodium chloride + water

Again yes, the Dehydroascorbic acid is a byproduct of the reaction + good old table salt, which if you have ever tried it a small pinch of table salt in coffee will actually enhance the flavour. This being the preferred reason fish owners use this for dechlorination due to no formation of HCl.

Here in AU, Hypochlorite is commonly used in water treatment.

Hypochlorite is an ion composed of chlorine and oxygen with the chemical formula ClO−.
Being unstable in the pure form, hypochlorite is most commonly used for bleaching,
disinfectation, and water treatment purposes in its salt form, sodium hypochlorite.

As with all do your own research. Water quality will vary greatly based upon its source. I know some areas of the closest city to me vary from one suburb to the next. Some areas are supplied from 3 different catchment dams and others from well water, Some areas taste worse than others, but all are foul in my opinion.
One dam out of the three is notoriously hard water, you notice this in soap lather, might as well swim in the ocean and take a bar of soap.

One of the best waters I've come across is this states western artesian water, it has a foul sulphurish stench straight out of the ground hot. Jump in the shower and lather up, no word of a lie it takes 10 minutes to wash off the lather. It is pumped or naturally under pressure fed into tanks and cooled by a garden sprinkler inside the tank spraying the hot water on the walls of the galvanised tank, and very drinkable untreated.

A discussion is good :D

musicman1951

three-tu-tu, three-tu-tu
I've been using Brita water in my Moccamaster for years with good results. I just switched to a

CuZn UC-200 Under Counter Water Filter.

Easy to install and seems to work well. Time will tell. The only issue so far is that tap water is not quite as cold as we like in a water glass, so we're going to get a small pitcher and keep it refrigerated.

Maybe helps. Here some water chart.
I have very hard tap water and use pitcher like Britta and mix water from there and from tap. There big difference how coffee tastes with different water mixing ratios.

I have very hard tap water and use pitcher like Britta and mix water from there and from tap. There big difference how coffee tastes with different water mixing ratios.
Thanks for that link. I know for certain I'll never try to implement that at home, yet I feel somehow compelled to save it :eek2:. It's actually quite a bit more complex than anything routinely done in biochemistry or molecular biology labs.

Although we did have the funds for large & potent reverse osmosis, de-ionizers, and steam distillers to make really clean water, we wanted to avoid all the difficulties that come with those poorly soluble Ca+2 and Mg+2 salts with the various forums of carbonate and bicarbonate. These factors vary widely in the local water found in different locations, making it difficult to find a simple or universal solution for brewing coffee. I'm humbled that someone in the SCA took that effort on. It's not for anyone without an advanced degree in chemistry!

However, it might come in handy one day, just to separate the mice from the men in the race to see who is really the most obsessive-compulsive in the world of coffee brewing :rolleyes:.

Get drops used to condition water for fish tanks to remove chlorine. Letting water sit out and exposed to air for a few hours also mitigates chlorine as I understand it.

My tap water is awful, so I have a sink filter tap whose water has been through three activated carbon stages and a reverse osmosis filter.

I started experimenting with adding minerals (potassium and magnesium) to this water, and it really perked up the coffee flavor. There are companies that are happy to sell you expensive little packets of minerals for your coffee water, but if you DIY, the cost drops to nearly zero.

So, the fastest, and 'easiest' way/s?
Wot he said.

Only very tiny amounts of them are needed. A small pinch per 100 litres is plenty, so there shouldn't be any noticeable taste from them.

They neutralise both chlorine and chloramine, and are about as safe as it gets (if you use food grade or better).

Only very tiny amounts of them are needed. A small pinch per 100 litres is plenty, so there shouldn't be any noticeable taste from them.
PPM .... or Parts Per Million

Typical chlorine amounts in tap water can be 0.5 to 2.0 PPM

If we scale it to easily understand 1,000,000 liters of water will contain up to 2 liters of chlorine, therefore 1 liter of water will contain up to? 0.000002 liters of chlorine [0.002 grams] who in the kitchen is going to spit atoms? or measure fancy pants little amounts?

The first time I used citric acid, like 247 moons ago, I used about a quarter teaspoon, OH my golly goodness me! Make you eyes water it did! I now use a fork to measure it out :D

this link talks about making 200ml, then further diluting that, just as well because epsom salts will give you the runs.

one water treatment for bacteria calls for 1:10 [or 1:100? can't remember?] then further dilution of that solution into 1:10,000 concentration, but the easiest way I remember it, is I use 12 crystals of compound per 4 gallons. and that is fancy pants counting out 12 tiny crystals :D

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
FYI, the boiling trick and letting water sit out only works if your water supply contains chlorine. Some water supplies contain chloramines, rather than chlorine, because chloramines do not boil or spontaneously evaporate out. You'll need to employ some of the chemistry above (or something else) to get rid of chloramines.

When brewing with tap water, I used "camden" tablets (sodium metabisulfate or potassium metabisulfate). It worked without imparting acidic flavor. I was treating 5-10 gallons at a time, though, so it was easy to dose.

The chemistry gets too difficult or cumbersome to manage when I'm dealing with coffee, tea, or drinking water. We have a Brita pitcher next to the sink. That does the job just fine at the rough cost of a dime per day. I got that much left.

I use RO water in my coffee, whether it is made by the "cupping" method, the French press, drip method, cold brew, Bialetti moka pot or Nespresso. Also, the lack of minerals make my Breville electric hot water pitcher stay shiny clean. Anyway, chlorine? -- no way.

I use RO water in my coffee, whether it is made by the "cupping" method, the French press, drip method, cold brew, Bialetti moka pot or Nespresso. Also, the lack of minerals make my Breville electric hot water pitcher stay shiny clean. Anyway, chlorine? -- no way.
I regret to report that adding just a bit of minerals will improve the liveliness of your coffee. I did not want to believe it, because the last thing I needed was one more coffee chore, but I had to accept it.

I use a Brita water pitcher and let it sit in the refrigerator for several hours and don't have the issue with chlorine in my coffee and tea water.

I use a Brita water pitcher and let it sit in the refrigerator for several hours and don't have the issue with chlorine in my coffee and tea water.
I wonder if Wishbone ever tried that??😂

1699004712623.png

Top Bottom