What's new

Pre-wetting coffee filters

I am not a sophisticated coffee drinker. We use a combination drip/kcup machine with Dunkin coffee. However, I do like a decent cup of consistent coffee. When we first bought the coffee maker I purchased a stainless filter, but found it to be more effort than it was worth. So, I started using paper filters and immediately we noticed a difference in taste. It was less smooth and consistent. Recently there was a tip that recommended pre-wetting the paper filter. I put the filter in and just wet the bottom. I have tried it the past few days and I have to say the difference is quite noticeable. Who would have thought?

Goatrope

Eccentric and destitute of reason
Hmm, never heard of that tip. Doesn't seem like it would make much difference, but I'll have to give it a try.

I use a Braun drip coffee maker with unbleached paper filters.

Last edited:
YUP! My old man always taught me to pre-wet the filter. However, it wasn't for taste or flavor, but to keep the filter stuck to the sides of the basket. On the occasion that I use a paper filter on my Aeropress instead of my stainless steel, I always pre wet the disc.

garyg

B&B membership has its percs
+1 - I read a tip here or somewhere a number of years ago - what I have retained is that using hot water helps both rinse the filter of any impurities it may have picked up and to pre-heat the pot. I am using a pour over method now and the advice is the same -

Goatrope

Is there a paper vs metal filter discussion thread somewhere?
My coffee maker came with a brass screen basket filter, but I've always used paper. Are metal (steel, brass) filters supposed to brew better flavored coffee? Maybe it doesn't make any difference??

Last edited:
I make my coffee for am up in pm, so filter would be dry. Budded is total Coffee Guru he had coffee Shop, Gift Shop, Event Venue. Never say him preset filters, but he has great coffee.

Ground each batch fresh, had top tier equipment, he keep spotless, and clean, last clean water at proper tempeature.

According to coffee experts, it’s recommended to pre-wet unbleached paper filters because it removes undesirable flavors. It should have minimal effect on bleached ones.

Also, if you have high cholesterol, it’s recommended to use paper filters instead of metal/wire because the paper removes cafestol and kahweol, which raise cholesterol.

Is there a paper vs metal filter discussion thread somewhere?
My coffee maker came with a brass screen basket filter, but I've always used paper. Are metal (steel, brass) filters supposed to brew better flavored coffee? Maybe it doesn't make any difference??
It's All about TDS (total desolved solids).

You can find many good articles on this subject.

Goatrope

I guess that explains why I couldn't taste any difference in the coffee when I tried wetting the coffee filters before filling and brewing.

I don't have any trouble with filters staying in place before filling with grounds.

In addition to removing any impurities such as paper dust from manufacture, I was also advised by a guy who roasted coffee and ran a shop before Starbucks appeared, that for pour over, at least, the wetted filter would stick to the cone and would keep the water from quickly running off and failing to initially wet the coffee.

When I’m brewing the full pot in the Bonavita, I don’t bother wetting the filter. If doing a Chemex or Kalita Wave pour over for 1 cup, I do.

I think wetting filters came from some folks saying they can taste paper taste in dry filters and wetting helps eliminate taste
I wet my filters and sometimes not
Wetting may help blooming coffee bloom,but a dry filter may aid more when actually brewing if this makes sense allowing slower brewing

Top Bottom