What's new

Paper filters

I've been brewing my coffee with a kettle and various plastic and porcelain Melitta filters cones for ages. The one that gets most use is the 1x2 plastic cone for a single large cup. I always bought the original unbleached Melitita filters but they are getting hard to find in stores. Buying online is not an option for the insane prices vendors ask. This includes the Big River.

Do you pour-over folks taste a difference between the filters you use? I can buy generic brand unbleached ones that I can cut to size. But Melitta has these 'arome zones' in their filters. Can you taste it or is it pure marketing?

Star_Wahl_Clipper_Treker

Likes a fat handle in his hand
I've been brewing my coffee with a kettle and various plastic and porcelain Melitta filters cones for ages. The one that gets most use is the 1x2 plastic cone for a single large cup. I always bought the original unbleached Melitita filters but they are getting hard to find in stores. Buying online is not an option for the insane prices vendors ask. This includes the Big River.

Do you pour-over folks taste a difference between the filters you use? I can buy generic brand unbleached ones that I can cut to size. But Melitta has these 'arome zones' in their filters. Can you taste it or is it pure marketing?

1707128399488.png

Sibarist makes the most expensive filter paper that I am aware of, and yet, not a single coffee enthusiast on YouTube, has provided me with a real answer as to why, Sibarist paper is so expensive. Personally, I think its all a gimick, to make you spend more money, to make the company rich off people's stupidity.

As for differences in paper between brands, I personally don't think it makes any difference. All that really matters at the end of the day, is you buy the proper sized and type of filters for your pour over dripper. Then after that, choose the economically priced filter, that is going to get the job done.

But there is one method that does come recommended by most coffee enthusiasts, in regards to pour over brewing. It is a good idea to wet the paper first, in order to remove the paper taste, then just dump out that bad water in the sink. Then put your coffee in the filter, and begin brewing as usual.

EclipseRedRing

I smell like a Christmas pudding
I have never made pour over coffee but I am put off by the idea of a single use, throw away filter, even if it is made of paper; if only because it is a consumable that I would have to repeat purchase. Unless the filter paper somehow changes the flavour of the coffee, which to me would not be desirable, then I cannot see how a different paper would make any difference. Let me guess, the most expensive papers, by strange coincidence, also produce the best coffee? 🤣

I have never made pour over coffee but I am put off by the idea of a single use, throw away filter, even if it is made of paper; if only because it is a consumable that I would have to repeat purchase. Unless the filter paper somehow changes the flavour of the coffee, which to me would not be desirable, then I cannot see how a different paper would make any difference. Let me guess, the most expensive papers, by strange coincidence, also produce the best coffee? 🤣
The original unbleached Melitta ones I always bought, weren't exactly expensive. 2 to 3 euros for a pack of 80.

I guess I've just answered my own question. I was in the supermarket this afternoon and picked up a box of 80 generic unbleached #2 filters for the grand sum of 0,79c.

Brewed a cup of coffee with one of the filters. The difference in taste was zero. My coffee tasted exactly the same as with branded filters. Guess which filters I'll be buying from now on...

Star_Wahl_Clipper_Treker

Likes a fat handle in his hand
I guess I've just answered my own question. I was in the supermarket this afternoon and picked up a box of 80 generic unbleached #2 filters for the grand sum of 0,79c.

Brewed a cup of coffee with one of the filters. The difference in taste was zero. My coffee tasted exactly the same as with branded filters. Guess which filters I'll be buying from now on...

I'm so very happy for you sir! You see, it doesn't really matter does it? Now you can go to sleep tonight, knowing that you didn't pay a huge sum of money, for something as simple as coffee filters. A lot of companies will try to find a sucker to pay for filter like Sibarist paper, which literally costs 1 dollar per paper. But the smart shopper like yourself knows better, and you already know the answer, you just needed us to help you understand, and confirm it. Its smart folks like you, who truly give me hope for humanity. Live on, rock on, get your coffee drink on. Yessir!

Television in Germany abounds with consumer programs. A few years ago they tested coffee filters. The best in test were Melitta - the second best were the own/store brand from Lidl, called Bellarom. It's just that Melitta cost more than double so much - why spend the extra money? I believe the The filters from Lidl currently cost €-.99 Cents for 100.

But there is one method that does come recommended by most coffee enthusiasts, in regards to pour over brewing. It is a good idea to wet the paper first, in order to remove the paper taste, then just dump out that bad water in the sink. Then put your coffee in the filter, and begin brewing as usual.

They recommended this in the test too.

DSCN5458.JPG

Last edited:

Old Hippie

Somewhere between 61 and dead
Typically we just use the unbleached round filtres intended to fit most coffeemaker baskets. Of course, we also use an old coffeemaker basket (propped on top of the cup) to hold the filtre. Once it's drained it goes in the composter with the coffee grounds, and the worms get it.

O.H.

Top Bottom