What's new

Apple Cider Vinegar Tea?

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
I didn't know of another place to post an 'Apple Cider' "Tea" or, if it should even be called a 'Tea'. So a Mod can feel free to move this or delete it. :)

Since I am allergic to the oils from coffee beans and I also have weaned myself from caffeine, I still enjoy decaf instant ice coffee's and decaf tea's and herbal tea's. Every great once in awhile, when I just can't decide what tea I want to brew for the day, or I am just looking for something with more bang? I will heat up a cup of filtered water and add a tablespoon of this:

61M8GPH1KhL._SX569_.jpg

The added honey gives it the right amount of sweetness, the added lemon, gives it a good bang and the added cayenne, gives it a spicy type kick. Not hot or spicy to the tastebuds, but it is very warming to the throat and gut. I wouldn't know what to label this as a cider? It's an acquired taste for sure, But it's kind of addictive... You know, like when you splash on PVIBR after a shave and it burns like crazy, but you still go back for more? Or like slowing down traffic on the freeway rubber necking an accident you see?

You know you should just speed up and move along but you don't? I have no clue why I like this, but I do? :)

I've used the regular (no honey or cayenne) as a scalp rinse. It also is effective against athlete's foot when used as a soak. Especially when followed by hydrogen peroxide.

My mother-in-law occasionally drinks it in a toddy like you do. I don't like it well enough to do that. Apple cider vinegar. Not peroxide. Although that reminds me of an old feller that we knew, WWII vet, landed at Normandy and marched across Europe. He used to drink a cup of hydrogen peroxide every day. Swore by it. My dad and I were reminiscing about him recently. Dad said, "well, he did live to be 103." I said, "yeah, but just think how long he would have lived if he hadn't drunk all that peroxide!"

I've done it in the past, too. ACV, hot water, lemon juice, a touch of cinnamon and a packet of Sweet n Low. Some folks say it helps regulate blood sugar. Others say it's just snake oil. I don't know. It tastes decent either way. I normally use ACV and cinnamon on my daily salad, though, instead of drinking it.

Ad Astra

The Instigator
🤔 Okie, knew a petty officer that was overweight by the standards, went on a cleanse with that stuff... He's now a CPO. Worked.

AA

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
I take a shot of apple cider vinegar almost every morning. Sometimes I forget. It has really helped me in preventing bladder stones from coming back. Have not had a bout in years.
I am NOT recommending this. Consult your physician. Just because I think something works doesn't mean it won't kill YOU.

Unfiltered apple cider vinegar contains the bacteria that converted the sugars to vinegar. Vinegar eels are a type of nemotode that love to consume these bacteria. The vinegar eels can grow to a size of 1/16", so they are large enough to be seen with the naked eye. Some fishkeeping hobbiests propagate these microworms in unfiltered ACV to feed their fish. Thus, you will need to decide whether you are OK with consuming these nemotodes when sipping your tea. If the thought creeps you out, you can always purchase filtered vinegar. From what I understand, consuming the vinegar eels is not harmful, but some folks might not agree.

Allergic to coffee beans?!?! Just kill me now😊
I actually have been working to lower my blood sugar and the only thing that dropped it significantly was acupuncture, I did try the acv capsules for awhile though but to no effect.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
Unfiltered apple cider vinegar contains the bacteria that converted the sugars to vinegar. Vinegar eels are a type of nemotode that love to consume these bacteria. The vinegar eels can grow to a size of 1/16", so they are large enough to be seen with the naked eye. Some fishkeeping hobbiests propagate these microworms in unfiltered ACV to feed their fish. Thus, you will need to decide whether you are OK with consuming these nemotodes when sipping your tea. If the thought creeps you out, you can always purchase filtered vinegar. From what I understand, consuming the vinegar eels is not harmful, but some folks might not agree.
Meh.
I've been to a sausage factory and still love sausage.

Meh.
I've been to a sausage factory and still love sausage.
In my job, some of the customers I serviced operated envelope machines. Anyone who has ever seen the glue pot on an envelope machine will never again lick the seal on an envelope. Although it is not as environmentally friendly, I use the peal and seal envelopes that use pressure sensitive glue. No more licking envelopes for me.

I have a little Bragg ACV every day for the past 50 years. I've never tried the flavored versions --- I just have a little in a glass of water and maybe I'll add some honey.

I use it a lot when I'm cooking - like making a dressing for slaw or marinating chicken.

About using it as a substitute for coffee or tea -- I wouldn't recommend sipping it over time. The acid is probably hard on your teeth enamel (maybe not any worse than lemonade or orange juice but I worry about those drinks too). I dilute the ACV in water and gulp the whole glass down and then follow with another glass of plain water. But I don't claim to have any medical expertise - so you should fact check me on the teeth enamel worry.

OkieStubble

Allergic to coffee beans?!?! Just kill me now😊
I actually have been working to lower my blood sugar and the only thing that dropped it significantly was acupuncture, I did try the acv capsules for awhile though but to no effect.

Not allergic to the beans, but allergic to the oil from the beans, So yeah, either way I guess. I used to love my coffee. Perculator, pour over, french press, Turkish... I did everything with coffee except roast my own. I started having severe angina pains in my chest, thought I was having a heart attack. Spent a bunch of money at heart hospitals, physical and chemical stress tests, just to find out I was allergic to the coffee I was drinking.

I can drink all the freeze dried instant coffee I want. But until the last couple of years, there wasn't any such thing as an instant coffee worth drinking; at least not a hot cup. Starbuck's Via instant was ok, but it was more expensive then real coffee. So now, for the last 5 years or so, it's only instant caffeine free Iced coffee for me. The only hot cups of anything I do anymore are decaffeinated Tea's, herbal tea, hot cocoa and this ACV with lemon, honey and cayenne we are discussing now.

The plain ACV is nowhere as tasty as the honey, lemon and cayenne addition's. I was sipping a hot cup of it when I opened this thread. While it's ACV, It kinda drinks like a tea; to me anyway. Kinda made me curious if there were others, or if anyone adds anything else to theirs to make it more interesting? :)

OkieStubble

I have a little Bragg ACV every day for the past 50 years. I've never tried the flavored versions --- I just have a little in a glass of water and maybe I'll add some honey.

I use it a lot when I'm cooking - like making a dressing for slaw or marinating chicken.

About using it as a substitute for coffee or tea -- I wouldn't recommend sipping it over time. The acid is probably hard on your teeth enamel (maybe not any worse than lemonade or orange juice but I worry about those drinks too). I dilute the ACV in water and gulp the whole glass down and then follow with another glass of plain water. But I don't claim to have any medical expertise - so you should fact check me on the teeth enamel worry.

Excellent post and advice. I do mix mine with 8 ounces of water. The Braggs bottle suggests two tablespoons of the ACV per 8 ounce cup, but I only ever do the 1 tablespoon. Do you think the water dilutes the 1 tablespoon enough as not to effect teeth enamel? I have read suggestions of sipping it thru a straw if it's stronger?

OkieStubble

In my job, some of the customers I serviced operated envelope machines. Anyone who has ever seen the glue pot on an envelope machine will never again lick the seal on an envelope. Although it is not as environmentally friendly, I use the peal and seal envelopes that use pressure sensitive glue. No more licking envelopes for me.

Ignorance is not bliss... I was lied to! :)

Not allergic to the beans, but allergic to the oil from the beans, So yeah, either way I guess. I used to love my coffee. Perculator, pour over, french press, Turkish... I did everything with coffee except roast my own. I started having severe angina pains in my chest, thought I was having a heart attack. Spent a bunch of money at heart hospitals, physical and chemical stress tests, just to find out I was allergic to the coffee I was drinking.

I can drink all the freeze dried instant coffee I want. But until the last couple of years, there wasn't any such thing as an instant coffee worth drinking; at least not a hot cup. Starbuck's Via instant was ok, but it was more expensive then real coffee. So now, for the last 5 years or so, it's only instant caffeine free Iced coffee for me. The only hot cups of anything I do anymore are decaffeinated Tea's, herbal tea, hot cocoa and this ACV with lemon, honey and cayenne we are discussing now.

The plain ACV is nowhere as tasty as the honey, lemon and cayenne addition's. I was sipping a hot cup of it when I opened this thread. While it's ACV, It kinda drinks like a tea; to me anyway. Kinda made me curious if there were others, or if anyone adds anything else to theirs to make it more interesting? :)
Glad you found the allergy culprit anyway, angina nothing to mess around with for sure.
I suppose it wouldn’t hurt if I was to cut back on my caffeine intake also. Maybe I’ll try the herbal tea route.

David

B&B’s Champion Corn Shucker
First thing I do every morning is chug 20oz of room temperature water with 2 tablespoons ACV, a shot of sea salt, and a good squeeze from 1/2 a lemon. If nothing else it wakes me up and gets things moving. Haven’t seen the honey cayenne version before I’ll have to give it a try.

My wife drinks the regular version of this vinegar daily. It is supposed to help with weight and gut health. I can't do it. I absolutely hate the taste. Good news is they have it in a pill form, so that is what I take, but not on a regular basis as I forget often.

Top Bottom