What's new

Ok, gurus of the bean, rec some coffee

I have been eyeing that Timemore grinder. In general, I'm a pretty cheap/frugal kind of guy. So I'm still using a blade grinder; although, I've found that pulsing and shaking does help with obtaining a consistent grind size. But if I were to splurge on a nice hand grinder, it would likely be the Timemore. I look forward to hearing your experience with it.

Well, I'm obviously new to this and have no reference, so...

I knew that I wanted a burr grinder for occasional use and couldn't justify a $250 machine so I researched manual grinders and happened upon Timemore.

After looking for a bit, I almost bought the less expensive C2 model, which gets great reviews, but decided on the C3 for the stainless steel burr and the folding handle.

Now, I like the folding handle since my grinder will occupy a spot on our counter, and the non-folding handle looked awkward and maybe more likely to topple over when not in use. I figured the folding handle would mitigate that possibility, though others may like it for portability.

As for performance, I've only used it twice, but it seems to work very well and grinds through a full hopper in around 30-40 seconds. The grind looks pretty consistent to my untrained eye.

It also feels very sturdy and appears well made. The box and presentation are first rate, and while that can, of course, be misleading it it seems in line with the quality of this product.

I'm very pleased.

Star_Wahl_Clipper_Treker

Likes a fat handle in his hand
@gpjoe

Well, I'm obviously new to this and have no reference, so...

That was me a year ago. You will be amazed how quickly you will become educated on coffee.

I knew that I wanted a burr grinder for occasional use and couldn't justify a $250 machine so I researched manual grinders and happened upon Timemore.

And this also reminds me of me as well. I did some research, and discovered what I would have to pay, to get a conical burr electric grinder. And to get one from a brand with an excellent reputation, such as the famous Bartiza Encore or Virtuoso, I'd have to spend upwards of 200 to 350 dollars. And if I wanted a flat burr grinder, ( Top End Machine ) I'd be looking to spend over 600 dollars for one of those!

I too was looking at Timemore for my scale, I was looking at the previous generation C2's. And while a good portion of the grinder seemed nice, I couldn't get over the plastic structural supports for the burr shaft, nor the plastic grind adjustment knob. So I just chose to upgrade to a top end hand grinder, and went with the 1ZPresso K-MAX instead.

but decided on the C3 for the stainless steel burr and the folding handle.

This was a wise decision! Remember what I said above? Well, if I am not mistaken, the Timemore C3, uses metal structural supports, and a metal grind adjustment knob. Your Timemore C3 has a capacity of 25G. It uses a CNC'd stainless steel conical burr, which is excellent! It has double bearing's on the shaft, just like my K-MAX does. And my K-MAX is a conical burr as well! So excellent choice there Joe!

Your grinder also weighs less then mine. Your grinder weighs in around 430 grams. Where as my K-MAX weighs in around 696 grams. Your conical burr size is 38mm. That is a little smaller then mine, but is still an excellent size. To be perfectly honest, the lower the capacity of the grinder, the lower the burr diameter you need. Because, when you increase capacity size, then you want to increase burr size, so as to speed up grind time.

Now, I like the folding handle since my grinder will occupy a spot on our counter, and the non-folding handle looked awkward and maybe more likely to topple over when not in use. I figured the folding handle would mitigate that possibility, though others may like it for portability.

1ZPresso also has a version of my grinder with a foldable handle, its called the K-ULTRA, but its also got an ultra price attached to it lol. These hand grinders with foldable handles, seem to be becoming more popular these days. I think its a feature that many want, and not just for travel, but like you said, also for less counter space occupation.

As for performance, I've only used it twice, but it seems to work very well and grinds through a full hopper in around 30-40 seconds. The grind looks pretty consistent to my untrained eye.

As stated, your grinder is using what is known as a conical burr, specifically, a heptagonal conical burr set. This type of burr set is known for creating a very uniform grinder, and is only 2nd, to a flat burr grinder. But when you compare the amazing performance of a conical burr, to a blade grinder, its like a night and day difference. Don't worry, your eye is being trained as we speak, and you will become a coffee grinding professor in no time!

It also feels very sturdy and appears well made. The box and presentation are first rate, and while that can, of course, be misleading it it seems in line with the quality of this product.

Timemore makes quality equipment. I love my Timemore Black Mirror Nano scale! Timemore uses CNC technology to mill out their parts, and they do a good job at it. I am glad to hear that you enjoy the sturdy feel in the hand. The only thing you will find misleading, are all the Chinese clones that Amazon has 0-issues selling. But once you know the name brands in the coffee gear space, you will not be steered wrong, by choosing the right one.

I'm very pleased.

I am so glad that you are pleased, I am so happy for you too. Congratulations Joe! :thumbup:

Well, I'm afflicted.

Went to Wally World today and picked up a temp controlled kettle, two coffee canisters, and an Aeropress.

The kettle works great and heats the water much more quickly than I expected, and I like the precision of the gooseneck spout.

The canisters are glass with partial metal covers painted matte black, push-button seals, and have a vented cap. Each holds 16oz of beans. I got two @ $10 apiece, and considered it a bargain

Made a coffee using my Aeropress and kettle and it turned out very nice, using my Stumptown Homestead beans. I love how quich and easy it is to use, and cleanup is a breeze. I just wish it brewed a bit more volume.

Not a big deal, I'll just use a smaller mug. 🙂

20230611_140701.jpg

Star_Wahl_Clipper_Treker

Well, I'm afflicted.

Went to Wally World today and picked up a temp controlled kettle, two coffee canisters, and an Aeropress.

The kettle works great and heats the water much more quickly than I expected, and I like the precision of the gooseneck spout.

The canisters are glass with partial metal covers painted matte black, push-button seals, and have a vented cap. Each holds 16oz of beans. I got two @ $10 apiece, and considered it a bargain

Made a coffee using my Aeropress and kettle and it turned out very nice, using my Stumptown Homestead beans. I love how quich and easy it is to use, and cleanup is a breeze. I just wish it brewed a bit more volume.

Not a big deal, I'll just use a smaller mug. 🙂

View attachment 1669355

Oh my gosh, I love it! 😍

I am so happy for you right now I could burst hehe. That is a lovely coffee tin, its got some style in its own right, looks great on your coffee bar! And I think its awesome that you've just discovered the true wonders, of modern day electric kettles. Faster then you remembered when you were younger ha? Yeah, cause they are so much better then they used to be.

Gooseneck equals control, yeah buddy. Cause what you don't want when your pouring, is niagra falls dropping down in there making a mess. You want a steady stream of 200 degree goodness flowing in, this is the way! Congratulations buddy, I know your gonna love your new coffee toys! :thumbup:

Still at it.

I picked up an Aeropress and love it. It's quick and easy and brews a great cup.

Been using the inverted method, stir for 10 seconds, and steep for another 30 seconds. Press into mug, add another couple ounces of water and cream...wow, it's perfect.

And I love the clean up: pop the grounds into the trash, rinse and dry, and done.

Advice I got early on was that good coffee is mostly good beans and a good grinder.

If you are making up to maybe half a dozen cups a day, definitely get a hand grinder. Much more bang for buck (both build and grind quality). They will generally outperform and outlast a similar price electric grinder. More cups than that start considering an electric.

For Australians looking for good beans I can highly recommend coffeesnobs. They sell both green and roasted beans, and have the best de-caf I have ever tasted. Also have a good forum.

Still at it.

I picked up an Aeropress and love it. It's quick and easy and brews a great cup.

Been using the inverted method, stir for 10 seconds, and steep for another 30 seconds. Press into mug, add another couple ounces of water and cream...wow, it's perfect.

And I love the clean up: pop the grounds into the trash, rinse and dry, and done.
It is my favorite way to make coffee when traveling. You never have to suffer from hotel coffee again.

Edit: By the way, most sites that sell green beans also sell roasted, such as Sweet Maria's, Happy Mug, and Burman.

It is my favorite way to make coffee when traveling. You never have to suffer from hotel coffee again.

Edit: By the way, most sites that sell green beans also sell roasted, such as Sweet Maria's, Happy Mug, and Burman.

The Aeropress has quickly become my preferred method at home. No muss or fuss, great cup, easy cleanup.

I can make a better cup faster than our old drip maker or a pour over. It's been great. 🙂

Tirvine

ancient grey sweatophile
For the flavor profile you described, I'd go to a local roaster and try a pound of their Guatemalan. It is bright and invariably roasted medium to light.

For the flavor profile you described, I'd go to a local roaster and try a pound of their Guatemalan. It is bright and invariably roasted medium to light.

I will certainly look for some Guatemalan. Thanks for the recommendation. 🙂👍

Trouble is locating the roaster. I'm in somewhat rural area, so I may have to buy on line. The roaster I mentioned above is at least two hours away, though I haven't searched for anyone closer.

It's much easier to find hard cider in these parts. 😄

Tirvine

ancient grey sweatophile

Trouble is locating the roaster. I'm in somewhat rural area, so I may have to buy on line. The roaster I mentioned above is at least two hours away, though I haven't searched for anyone closer.

If you will need to have it shipped, I am a big fan of Texas Coffee Traders.

If you will need to have it shipped, I am a big fan of Texas Coffee Traders.

I'm gonna look them up and bookmark the site. Thanks. 🙂

It's much more comfortable for me to buy on recommendations here than shooting in the dark. I don't want to buy a bunch of random coffees and be disappointed.

I know that not every buy will be a hit, so maybe I need to get some sample packs.

Well, with enough hard cider you might not even think about coffee. Grin.

@gpjoe I also am a convert to the aeropress, quick, simple and flexible. I often make 2 cups at a time for me and the Missus.
I have found we prefer a bit finer grind at 60g/liter. Sorry dont know how many ounces that is.
If you haven't yet maybe check out James Hoffmann on youtube, you will learn more then you really need about making coffee. He also has a series on getting the most from your pour-over, my wifes prefered method.

We are in the same boat as yourself, not a great selection locally so generally order online.

Amazon carries Kicking Horse brand (Canadian)...we subscribe and save to the "Kick ***" variety in 1kg bags. A dark roast but I dont get any bitterness from it. They have some lighter roasts as well.

Be well
Jay

@gpjoe I just read back through this thread with joy and excitement. I'm glad that you're enjoying your Aeropress! I've even gotten to where when I serve multiple people that I will press several highly concentrated Aeropress shots and then dilute them and serve them in a coffee carafe. It's so much better than drip coffee (and my guests agree).

And I've got a birthday coming up so I've still got my eye on the Timemore grinder. :)

@gpjoe I just read back through this thread with joy and excitement. I'm glad that you're enjoying your Aeropress! I've even gotten to where when I serve multiple people that I will press several highly concentrated Aeropress shots and then dilute them and serve them in a coffee carafe. It's so much better than drip coffee (and my guests agree).

And I've got a birthday coming up so I've still got my eye on the Timemore grinder. :)

I'm very pleased with the Timemore. It works great.

Star_Wahl_Clipper_Treker

Yes, but, what I want to know is, which Timemore grinder are we talking about here, because Timemore actually has multiple models.

Let me know which one of those Timemore grinders you are using. Personally, I think the Timemore Chestnut G1 is the best looking grinder that Timemore has. However, something has to be said about the professional quality you might be getting out of a Timemore Nano grinder.

I personally have the 1ZPresso K-MAX grinder
I absolutely love it! 😍
proxy.php

Before I got into the world of DE/SE/injector shaving, I was a coffee gearhead. I'm not sure which - coffee or shaving - is the deepest rabbit hole. At least with coffee and shaving gear, you can use the gear for something practical, unlike collecting baseball cards or stamps.

Ok, let me talk about coffee.
I’m an old codger and I grew up before coffee became a thing. I don’t like fancy coffees and I don’t like complicated coffee processes.
My mother drank instant coffee all her life. I was way ahead of my time when I bought a Mr Coffee machine in 1980.
I don’t like French roast or that burned Italian style coffee. I don’t like Starbucks. My idea of good coffee is BunnOmatic at a diner or original Dunkin Donuts.
I have never ground my own coffee and I never will. That would be another something I’d have to do with yet another machine. Anyway, it comes ground from the store.
I buy a variety of ground coffees (whatever’s on sale) and throw them into a big container I keep in the fridge. I fill up the drip coffee maker the night before so all I have to do is groggily push a single button, and by the time I come back with the paper I can pour my first cup. I don’t want any more complexity than that. Two saccharines and some milk and I’m good to go.

Last edited:
I don’t like French roast or that burned Italian style coffee. I don’t like Starbucks. My idea of good coffee is BunnOmatic at a diner or original Dunkin Donuts.

I agree 100% with all of the above. If I could consistently brew a Dunkin cup at home it would be heaven, though I DO require half and half in my coffee (and very light sugar, like not even a quarter teaspoon). Milk just doesn't work for me, I guess it just isn't creamy enough to smooth out the brew.

Top Bottom