What's new

Letting coffee breathe?

Since retiring I have had more time to find some different coffee and actually sit down and drink a cup. With that said I have noticed a huge difference in the taste of coffee in a stainless mug vs ceramic mug. Another difference is the taste when allowing the coffee to rest for a few minutes. It seems to me the coffee has a fuller/ smoother taste when allowed to sit. Is it just my imagination or am I on to something?

I like good Cup of Black Coffee, best I had recently was from buddy who had Coffee - Gift Shop. I tend to let my Coffee sit a few minute to cool so as to not blast my mouth.

You are correct. As I go through the coffee journey, everything from from quality of beans and roasts, grind size, water temp and quality and more all play a part in a good cup of coffee.

Yes as the coffee cools differences in nuances will start coming out. The difference in drinking coffee and enjoying coffee.

I’ve had some beans in the past where I let them rest before using. As I went through them it started out as good coffee, as days went by more flavors started coming out making for a wow coffee. The only thing that changed was the age of rest.

Heck even preparation of the same coffee can bring about different results. We did a side by side, whish I could remember the type of coffee it was, but it was an aero press and a chemex. Each brought out different flavor in the coffee.

Last edited:
You are correct. As I go through the coffee journey, everything from from quality of beans and roasts, grind size, water temp and quality and more all play a part in a good cup of coffee.

Yes as the coffee cools differences in nuances will start coming out. The difference in drinking coffee and enjoying coffee.

I’ve had some beans in the past where I let them rest before using. As I went through them it started out as good coffee, as days went by more flavors started coming out making for a wow coffee. The only thing that changed was the age of rest.

Heck even preparation of the same coffee can bring about different results. We did a side by side, whish I could remember the type of coffee it was, but it was an aero press and a chemex. Each brought out different flavor in the coffee.
This. Very well worded. Even the grind size can change the flavor.

Since retiring I have had more time to find some different coffee and actually sit down and drink a cup. With that said I have noticed a huge difference in the taste of coffee in a stainless mug vs ceramic mug. Another difference is the taste when allowing the coffee to rest for a few minutes. It seems to me the coffee has a fuller/ smoother taste when allowed to sit. Is it just my imagination or am I on to something?
You're onto something known. Coffee tasting notes very often include an "as the cup cools" part. Different stuff comes out then.

And yeah, eating or drinking out of metal is always a compromise.

Top Bottom